What's new

Plisson L'Occitane Shave Brush

I own a few older as well as more recent synthetic shave brushes from companies like Yaqi, but have recently gone back to using my original Plisson L'Occitane Shave Brush as I enjoy it the most of them all. I believe it's because I like to face lather creams and prefer a fairly floppy brush. Most of the synthetics I own are bad, and indeed have very soft fibers, but still tend to have a lot more backbone than I tend to like, although many prefer.

What synthetic shave brushes out now are most similar to the Plisson L'Occitane Shave Brush that you can recommend?

Thanks.

If you like to face lather and don't mind the feeling of a boar, take a look at the new kent synth line up. I have one of the new V series shaped ones and its a great man made representative of a kent boar. I really like it. The down side is the price. With UK postage to UK addresses its nearly £30. IMHO its only worth around £20. But still a good brush with a different handle.

Last edited:
I've used multitudes of brushes over the years, and realized I prefer the softness of more modern synthetics (the old ones were just too damn springy) over all types of badger, boar and horse. The issue for me is that I seem to be in the minority who like a smaller and floppier brush, and the market has responded to the majority with generally larger brushes with firmer backbone. The newer synthetics I've seem are either too firm and/or relatively huge and don't to capture the magic I felt with the original Plisson/L'Occitane synthetic, with neither available any longer.

I was hoping that there may be a Yaqi, Maggard, or something else I've just missed.

Thanks.

As I say take a look at the new Kent line up. I've heard the BS and BK style handles are very soft and maybe a tadge floppy just their badgers were.

I've been looking at some of the PAA brushes.

How easy is the splat on the Green Ray, Solar Flare, Peregrino or the others?

Thanks.

Many people think Plisson/L’Occitane brushes are to soft of floppy, for me they are simply wonderful. For years I alternated using two L'Occitaine Plissons as my gym brushes. Pearl open comb razors, Personna Red IP's along with a shave stick made for quick, easy shaves.

A quick, thou thourough rinse followed by a shake dry and resting in a car cup holder during the work day made for a dry brush.

Many people think Plisson/L’Occitane brushes are to soft of floppy, for me they are simply wonderful. For years I alternated using two L'Occitaine Plissons as my gym brushes. Pearl open comb razors, Personna Red IP's along with a shave stick made for quick, easy shaves.

A quick, thou thourough rinse followed by a shake dry and resting in a car cup holder during the work day made for a dry brush.

You and I appear to be in the minority who prefer floppier brushes.

I would really love to find a true replacement or very similar backup for the L'Occitane brush.

I never liked the original Plisson Cade since, for me, it was too floppy. And yet the Maggards syn make with the Plisson knot works fine for me.

I have the Peregrino. it splays easily. I really like it.

I just might have to give one of the PAA brushes a try.

I haven't been closely following the Wet Shaving community over the last few years. I recall there was some controversy with PAA or its owner in connection, I believe, with veterans??? Am I wrong or has this been resolved?

I just might have to give one of the PAA brushes a try.

I haven't been closely following the Wet Shaving community over the last few years. I recall there was some controversy with PAA or its owner in connection, I believe, with veterans??? Am I wrong or has this been resolved?
Yea, it appears to be over. Good thing too. His soaps and A/S are great performers.

Thanks.
The PAA Solar Flare and Green Ray are soft and splay easily.
Unfortunately, as we all like different aspects of brushes, there really is no way to be certain without buying a few that people recommend. The good news is you can always PIF or sell the ones that don’t work out.
Good luck in your search.

Thanks.

I have two PAA brushes: Solar Flare and Green Ray, very soft and easy to splay. They have 24mm knot but on face I feel them a little big, maybe because of the splay. You can try Yaqi Cashmere and Faux Horse knot, maybe 22mm instead of 24mm.

IMG_20210408_094102.jpg

Last edited:
I have two PAA brushes: Solar Flare and Green Ray, very soft and easy to splay. They have 24mm knot but on face I feel them a little big, maybe because of the splay. You can try Yaqi Cashmere and Faux Horse knot, maybe 22mm instead of 24mm.

View attachment 1248315

Of course the Yaqi Sagrada on the left is much prettier than the other 2 (the 2 on the right look like kids' toys), but i firmly believe that that the Yaqi tuxedo knot is the worst synthetic knot of the Yaqi family. I prefer more luxurious knots, which i believe the 2 PAAs on the right have.

Thanks.
I’m on day two with the PAA Peregrino.
It is a soft brush and splays easily.
Excellent brush manners and does not fling lather across the room.
I bowl lathered yesterday and will face lather today. I expect it will lather as easily as yesterday’s experience.

Thanks.
I’m on day two with the PAA Peregrino.
It is a soft brush and splays easily.
Excellent brush manners and does not fling lather across the room.
I bowl lathered yesterday and will face lather today. I expect it will lather as easily as yesterday’s experience.

I believe the RazoRock Plissoft is their version of the original Plisson, I recall reading that anyway. I bought the smaller keyhole brush, when loaded it splays wonderfully. This is important to me as I too like somewhat floppy brushes that splay.

I believe the RazoRock Plissoft is their version of the original Plisson, I recall reading that anyway. I bought the smaller keyhole brush, when loaded it splays wonderfully. This is important to me as I too like somewhat floppy brushes that splay.

Many moons ago I tried a couple of the early RR Plissoft brushes, but the very large glue bumps made them too stiff for my floppier brush tastes, although I never tried the Keyhole. This has been a recurring issue with many of the synthetic I've tried. Very, very soft, but either a high glue bump and/or short loft make give them too much (for me) backbone.

Top Bottom