What's new

Plisson brush not as good as the Muhle.

The Plisson is without question the softest synthetic I've tried (I've used more than a dozen). It has a regular spot in my rotation. I find that it actually splays well and lathers well on the face or in the bowl. On days when I want something soft, this is my go to brush.

However I actually prefer the Muhle v2 STF and Frank Shaving PUR-Tech brushes to the Plisson. Sometimes the Plisson is just what I'm after, but most of the time I like something with a denser knot and a little more backbone which the Muhle and Frank Shaving synthetics provide well.

Tonight I used my Plisson brush with VDH Luxury soap. I left the brush with more water in it than I normally do. I had great results. I think this is the kind of brush that takes getting use to. It does require more water than my other brushes.
I was almost ready to sell it but maybe I'll give it more time for me to fine tune it.

it is said by many this brush takes getting used to. I would think the L'Occitane is the same exact brush directly from plisson. it would cost more to make two different ones. there would also be no sense in making the handle hollow from a cost perspective. it might be on both and for other reasons.

I was wondering if you guys think the plisson or muhle are as good as good badger? or just different.

I can't see how it could be hollow. it is heavier and bigger than my hmw in acrylic. it also has more backbone than that brush. ymmv

it is good. softer than badger too. I am just very happy that I don't have to feel bad about the badger anymore. I know they are nasty creatures but I am a vegan after all.

I can't see how it could be hollow. it is heavier and bigger than my hmw in acrylic.
I'm just going by what the guy on The Shave Nook said. They have a massive 10-page thread over there on this brush. Most of it is filled with love and praise but there are a few dissenters. This guy was one of them...he disliked the brush and took the knot out to give to another member. Then he mentioned the hollow handle.

But I agree...it feels solid to me.

I've been mulling over buying a Muhle v2 because I only have experience with the v1 silvertip fiber. I just don't know whether to get a 21mm or 23mm knot, or just go for a Pur Tech if the fibers are the same.

I haven't used the Plisson yet because I'm ill at the moment, and can only shave with an electric. Can't wait to try it out though.

It's funny when you Google the brush and look at older threads....people condemned it straightaway as a Body Shop synth clone, why is Plisson slapping their logo on a downmarket brush, who really makes it?, etc.

How things have changed. :laugh:

Last edited:
I have a direct comparison of the Mühle 23 mm STF2, Plisson and the Pur Tech 26 mm STF2 here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/392181-Synthetic-brush-shootout

$Synts4.jpg

I am actually going to get the cade/plisson fusion lol. sometimes I actually use one. that thing is a serious bargain as well. from plisson it is like $176usd. I don't get why they would have something like the cade soap and no de. I think that soap is mostly purchased by folks that use a de/straight. foam-in-a-can seems to be the norm for cartridge shavers. I am not trying to make an insult. just my observation.

imo, the plisson looks the best in that pic too. I just hope it holds up. the body shop is obviously not the same thing. I am guessing at some point the price is going to go up a lot on the cade stuff.

the fusion does not have the best plating but it is alright. I noticed these say vikim diffusion on the box. that is the parent company of plisson that sells cheaper goods in French supermarkets. they are also an importer. perhaps this is a cheaper line made in china or something but it does say made in france on the front of the boxes.

my brush has some hairs standing proud. it is not shedding. should I trim them or leave them be? amazingly I have had perfect luck with every badger brush so far. this thing does not bloom either. it is pretty good though. after a while I would have to say their hmw is better but only that imo. they must know this which is why it is still 5x the price. that, and it is rare. still prefer to be humane.

edit: I see in the pic above there are some hairs standing proud as well. perhaps that is just the nature of the beast. well, the synthetic beast at least lol.

edit: the plating is fine on the razor. it had some sort of residue on it. I used a polishing cloth. it is as good as any and handsome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom