What's new

Pleased I fixed my Gillette Slim Adjustable myself.

Good evening all.

Had a slight problem with my Gillette Slim adjustable razor. The 'quarter turn' needed to lock the head became jammed for some reason (guessing it was due to soap/gel gunk build-up).

I put it in the dishwasher, sprayed some WD40 inside the mechanism and its now working like a charm! Plus from being washed in the dishwasher the razor is now sparkling clean and there is NO damage whatsoever to the adjusting/locking mechanisms. Also the adjuster is working ever so smooth now. Each adjustment feature gives a reassuring 'click'.

I am really pleased!

Jason.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with my Slim. After I got home with it and cleaned it I noticed the blade gap was crooked. After some research I bent it back straight. Although at times I thought I might break it.

Glad to hear you got yours in working order. One of the best design and build quality razors ever IMO.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Excellent! Congratulations, @JasonJT

Will you be using a different setting for each direction (with, across, against the grain) or finding the blend of smoothness and closeness that best gives your Sledgehammer a run for its money and staying there?

Excellent! Congratulations, @JasonJT

Will you be using a different setting for each direction (with, across, against the grain) or finding the blend of smoothness and closeness that best gives your Sledgehammer a run for its money and staying there?
To answer your question, I'll try the different settings on the Slim prior to each shave but that setting will remain the same throughout the entire shave. I have no intention of changing the setting mid-shave.

Jason.

To answer your question, I'll try the different settings on the Slim prior to each shave but that setting will remain the same throughout the entire shave. I have no intention of changing the setting mid-shave.

Jason.
While we're waiting for Jason's report, I'll share my experience.

Last week I shaved with my Gillette Slim. One morning I set it and left it, at my prime setting of 5 for a three-pass shave. The next morning, I did a three-pass shave while monkeying with the adjustments. I used 5, 4 and 3.

My finding: No discernable difference. My conclusion: Sometimes things are so good they can't be improved upon.

My finding: No discernable difference. My conclusion: Sometimes things are so good they can't be improved upon.
Hence the law of diminishing returns. Things can only be improved up to a point. After that it’s not possible to improve any further.

Jason.

I have a Super Adjustable that constantly jams. A common problem. Boiling water and washing up liquid consistently removes a lot of gunk from it. I think it has just built up over years. I might try the dishwasher but I am a bit wary of damaging the nickel (white vinegar turned it dark).

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I have more Gillette adjustables than I care to admit. My biggest issue has always been that extra quarter turn to go smoothly. Hot tap water and Dawn has never failed me. I just got back from a month long trip where I used a Gillette slim for my daily driver. I noticed the quarter wasn’t as smooth at the end of my trip. I did the Dawn thing and I’m back in business.

Congrats on getting it fixed & operating smoothly! If you run into more problems, I suggest warm water & Dawn dish soap. I, personally, don't use boiling water for fear of damaging the plating. Now that you've got your Slim back in tip-top shape, enjoy your shaves!!!

Thanks to all for your replies. Cleaning the Slim in the dishwasher did it no harm whatsoever. I shan't go into too much detail; the razor works and that is all that matters.

Jason.

Top Bottom