What's new

Please tell me i’m not crazy!

Okey, so I got this beautiful 99.9% NOS Slim Adjustable with the original case, instructions and blades. It’s a piece of art BUT I think the blade gap is uneven on one side. I can feel a slight difference when shaving depending on which side I use. One side is also a tiny tiny bit ”chattery”. Now, the Gillette TTOs are not clamping machines I know that but still.

The shave becomes uncomfortable when I crank it up over 7. Mind you, I have owned alot of Slims and Gillette razors in general so this is not a new to me razor.

Just to ease my mind, please take a look at these pictures and help me out here. Is there something you can do if there is a gap difference? This razor is too beautiful to not be 100%.

56466A14-6192-43A1-80E1-9DCFBB2C37C6.jpeg

The first pic is just so you can se how the complete package looks like. The second and third is the razor at 6 with a 180 rotation.

The fourth and fifth is at 1 with a 180 turn.

Am I crazy or is there a difference?
9922544C-571D-4884-A1E1-14B3B27F4A30.jpeg
B4CA4EAE-E619-471A-BB59-12242A06BF70.jpeg
C449BAC4-5E84-4F60-8269-6BDFBC94F857.jpeg
8562DF5C-0037-4395-B91A-A15CFB392B6E.jpeg

Is the alleged problem the same at the lowest setting of 1, midway at 5, and at the highest setting at 9? Just curious.

Otherwise, how well does the razor shave your face?

If the razor shaves you fine, I'd be inclined to ignore it. Unless you are super skillful (or just blind lucky) you could botch up a wonderful razor.

Your razor is 60 years old. How many 60-year-old men see perfection when the look in the mirror?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Arkoland! You rang??? @Mike M Just sniffed my Arko puck. Talk about stress relief.
If ONLY I could tell you how much I truly appreciate Mike M...... I have a feeling we are related on me Da's side......he claimed to be black Irish did me Da.... His siblings said the only part of him that was black was his heart!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You are not crazy. One side looks to have a larger gap than the other.
That is how I saw it too. But I have a lazy eye, so....

But if it shaves well enough on the one side, I'd leave it be. Though someone just yesterday I think posted a fix? It wasn't more than 3days ago... Was it @romsitsa , or ???

This is a common problem, especially on the Super Adjustables. Somewhat rarer on the Slims. A deformation of the safety bar. The reason is a hit. Someone dropped the razor. I bought a boxed Super Adjustable that was absolutely unused for shaving. But still someone dropped it and had your problem. The result is either your case or a slanted blade. What is needed is to bend the guard back to normal. But some measurments are needed to define which guard is the bent one. And bending back should be done very carefully, because you can make the razor even worse, or remove the plating.

Top Bottom