What's new

Please Tell Me About This Kamisori

This is weird i cannot read the first two. They seem to be written from left to the right and than the next 3 from top to bottom.

The trees are not kanjis

Sent from Mars

This is weird i cannot read the first two. They seem to be written from left to the right and than the next 3 from top to bottom.

The trees are not kanjis

Sent from Mars

Hmmm... so do you think they are trees or mountains?

And here's another Tosuke - any idea what these characters mean?
proxy.php

proxy.php

The second blade says:
八幡丸

How does that translate?
2 possible readings
Hachiman maru or yawata maru

Hachiman being the good of war.

The yawata maru was a ww2 japanese carrier ship based on my google foo. There a few military vessels that hace carried the name of hachiman.

Maybe a military issue ?

Sent from Mars

Thanks! The first blade is a Tosuke, as I now see, and the script translates as レーザー打ち = Lazer Strike which seems a bit bizarre.

And you're right, Romain, the second one comes as Yahata Maru.

I have a Jwest that is called Warship so yes perhaps a military naval theme.

Kinmoji this morning
proxy.php

What a great shave - very comfortable like a wedge and very efficient like an extra hollow.
Guess that's the kamisori magic [emoji3]

I was also aware this morning of how good the point is for trimming under the nostrils etc.

I don't know if this is a Tosuke - Kinmoji is a Tosuke brand and the wavy line where the metals join is characteristic too, but it doesn't say Tosuke anywhere.
Instead there's the forest and mountain logo...

...and the handle is wrapped in thread which is wound round wooden formers to make the handle thicker.

For me this razor is really well balanced and another amazing shaver!

And what a shave!
proxy.php

In my fantasy mind I really thought that this new razor would be shave ready straight out of the Paulownia box.

In fact it benefitted from a touch up on the Trans Ark and the resultant edge just blew me away.

It is so smooth and stealthy whilst also being so sharp.

Although it's an odd comparison, it kind of reminded me of those vintage British Wilkinson DE blades.
proxy.php

And in comparison to a lot of the other kamisori here this is a big heavy razor.
Just amazing!

Second shave with the Iwasaki this morning:
proxy.php

It requires a much steeper angle than Western straights and, as one of the bad boys who shaves with both Omote and Ura sides, I really noticed how much more bitey the behaviour is with the Ura side against the face.
I nicked myself under the nose shaving this way, and switched to having the Omote against the face which is much more forgiving for the ATG and difficult areas

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Tell you about that razor?

Sure:

That razor belonged to Kiotaka Fujiwara, the famed barber of Nagano.

He could give a man a smooth BBS shave with that razor while both were riding down the slope at the Onbashira festival, no nicks, no cuts, just pure smooth.

Not only that, but so skilled a honer was he, that he could hone on the kanji-decorated stones paving his patio, and get an edge that would slice other razors in half, lengthwise. Soon, everybody wanted to try Fujiwara-San's patio pavers, and an industry was born.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only that, but so skilled a honer was he, that he could hone on the kanji-decorated stones paving his patio, and get an edge that would slice other razors in half, lengthwise. Soon, everybody wanted to try Fujiwara-San's patio pavers, and an industry was born.

Not funny

Sent from Mars

So check out this Azuma - it's a hybrid between the kami style and the Jwest style with a fixed handle, unimetallic with a symmetrical grind:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Along with the decorated metal handle, this is the first I've seen of this style.

And here's the real deal vintage Tamahagane steel in this Teramasa:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Quite incredible - the blade feels more like ceramic than metal.
The limited supply of resources plus the tendency to brittleness of the original Tamahagane steel goes a long time my way to explaining why only small sections of this steel were mounted in soft iron to absorb vibrations.
And Iwasaki's new recipe Tamahagane sought to overcome the brittleness whilst maintaining the hardness and ability to take an excellent edge.

The modern Iwasaki Spicy Swedish Steel emulates the modern Tamahagane and is available in much larger quantities at consistent quality.
This original vintage Tamahagane feels quite different more like a ceramic.
And even with my clumsy and amateurish honing efforts this blade has taken a most incredible edge.
It just keeps getting better...

And Henkotsu Iyademo Kireru shave for me this evening - quite incredible in its excellence!
proxy.php

This razor has a silk wrapped handle with wooden formers between the silk and the metal.

I've seen Iyademo Kireru variously translated as "I cut anything/I cut even when you don't want me to/Cuts all" and this equates to the contemporary expression "Whatever" so "I cut whatever" and it does [emoji3]

Nice Kamisoris. Today I got my first and I'll make my first Kamisori shave soon.
I was told it is a good one and ca. 80 years old, the handle is waterproof. Can someone read the script or say something about it?
$Kami1.jpg.$Kami3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Kamisoris. Today I got my first and I'll make my first Kamisori shave soon.
I was told it is a good one and ca. 80 years old, the handle is waterproof. Can someone read the script or say something about it?
View attachment 678188.View attachment 678189

Nice! What's the handle wrapped with?

And that is a Yamamasa Ue.
"Ue" means "exalted" and the maker is Yamamasa.

For some reason they all seem to have those two teardrops in the middle of the blade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom