What's new

Please tell me about the finer points of whiskey:

Hello gents:
I have been mostly a straight liquor drinker for most of my life. (except martini or a screwdriver). Now that I am older and able to drink in a responsible fashion. It seems that whiskey is my drink of choice as of late. Could some of you more knowledgeable whiskey connoisseurs in lighten me on the finer points of whiskey and how to appreciate this drink. As in using ice and it water (how much) in a 2oz serving. And why. Right now my drink of choice is woodford.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It depends how you like it. Some like it neat, with water, with ice, with soda, etc. That's up to you, regardless on how you like it, enjoy it. Usually, someone would start with tonic, 7up or fizzy water to reduce the alcohol content of the drink a bit. I like mine neat but that's me. There are some that I prefer with ice. It depends.

There was a video from the Larks whiskeys in Tasmania where they were explaining how much water to add and depending on how much you add you would go from smoke notes to flowers. It's a matter of taste. I also think that a Glencarin glass is really worth it if you are serious about drinking whiskey. It helps sniffing the aroma properly.

A real purist would not use ice it will change the scotch too much, often a little water and pure clean spring water not tap. Single Malt is best. I would start with a reasonable bottle of Highland Park 12. The best value for $40-$50 and not too expensive that you can't appreciate it. You tube some videos and learn a bit.

Thank you guys . I have been doing something right all along in drinking my whiskey w/o water. And usually from the bottle. But that was along time ago:)

I'm a whisky and whiskey lover for sure. I used to mix with coke or ginger, then just on the rocks and now I like it with a thought of water in it. I just pour my glass, run some water over my fingers and let a drop or 2 fall in. It's just enough to 'wake' the whiskey up and it doesn't really dilute it either. I drink mostly scotch, but like some good bourbons as well. Woodford is definitely one of my favorites. The best thing I can tell you is to read up on the different production regions, learn about what sets bourbon apart from Tennessee whiskey from scotch, etc., etc. Read up on whiskeys you're familiar with, Woodford is a good start, and see what other people are tasting in them. Taste with a few notes in front of you and see what flavors and smells you can pick up on. Now, try 2 similar whiskeys side by side...say Woodford and another bourbon you like. Make your own notes, then compare them to reviews and see what's different, what's the same and what you may not have pinned down. Then try Woodford beside a Canadian, then an Irish, then a Scotch. Then line em all up and try them side by side. Trying Scotch from different regions is also very enlightening, as are different age offerings. Just read, taste different producers, different regions and expand your palate. As you taste a larger variety you will find more in each whiskey and develop some new favorites. Keep yourself in the $20-40 range for American whisky and the $30-60 range for Scotch and Irish stuff. That's a good starting point, and then you can move up and down from there.

Don't be afraid to add a little water (distilled or RO is best) or an ice cube if it suits you. For taking tasting notes, I find it best to try it neat, then with my usual amount of water, then a little more. After a bit of tasting I pour a glass how I like it and then just enjoy. Keep it fun, drink it how you like it and learn. That goes for anything, BTW. Wine, cigars, beer, cognac and food are all the same. Try a lot, read, take notes and find what you like.

Last edited:
If you like it, it's probably the right way for you.

Unless it's 25YO Macallan, diluted with lots of green tea and ice. I still wake up in a cold sweat remembering that night in Taiwan.

If you like it, it's probably the right way for you.

Unless it's 25YO Macallan, diluted with lots of green tea and ice. I still wake up in a cold sweat remembering that night in Taiwan.

I have some yucky indian scotch I'm trying to finish. Maybe I'll try that just for a laugh.

From what I have been reading from your replies I have pretty much been drinking whiskey the way you all have been suggesting. Minus my binders, where I don't care what I drink or how much. But those cheep whiskeys are behind me now:)
maybe unless I want to put some in my homemade BBQ sauce. Please excuse me I have to toast the weekend.
cheers gents.

I'm not an expert but definitely and appreciator. My wife got be a bottle of Woodford Reserve for Christmas and I treat myself sparingly. I enjoy mine with just one or two ice cubes. Just enough to chill some and open up the flavors. I am really wanting a nice Glencairn glass now!

Legion

Staff member
Thank you guys . I have been doing something right all along in drinking my whiskey w/o water. And usually from the bottle. But that was along time ago:)

Actually, water helps "open up" a lot of whisky, and releases new aromas and flavours. When I am trying a new scotch, for example, I'll put a dram into a glencairn glass, and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Take a few good sniffs, then taste. Next, I will add some water (about a tea spoon or two) and do it again. It improves some scotch, sometimes not. It depends.

Ice is generally used to help get cheap scotch into your system more painlessly. But some like it, YMMV.

And don't listen to the scotch snobs warning you off off blended scotch, or especially malt blends. Many are very drinkable. Also there are a lot of single malts which are rubbish. As you try new things, keep a little diary to help you remember your impressions. I find that helps me.

The "proper" way to drink fine whiskey (or whiskly) is neat--or perhaps with a small cube/few drops of water to open it up/release the flavors and aroma.

I really don't care about that, though. I love ice and lots of it. I drink my beer and wine (including champagne) too cold as well. I never mix it with anything other than ice and/or a splash of water. But that's just me.

I make a minor exception with scotch. I'm not a scotch drinker, but do occasionally enjoy a good single malt neat.

I understand why the purists cringe when someone puts ice or water in a fine whisky. I love cognac, but would never dream of drinking it any way other than straight. When I see people drinking cognac on ice, I cringe. I'm a hypocrite.

I make another exception with whiskey or cognac--when it comes to coffee. I have no problem dumping a bit or either in my joe.

When I first got into drinking scotch, I took it on the rocks simply because that's what everyone else seemed to do. After attending a number of scotch tastings, I have learned a lot. I would recommend trying to find some scotch tastings in your area. A large liquor store in my area that has a cullinary center attached has regular tastings that are a great value ($30 for a 1.5 hour class where you try 6 different scotches). It's a great way to try scotch from the different regions and decide on what style you like before you invest. These days I usually have my first sip neat, and then add a few drops of water (about a half t-spoon). This helps open it up a bit and changes the flavor profile bringing out new things. Enjoy!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Ralfy.com as a source of whisk(e)y information. He is a little strange, but very informative.

Top Bottom