What's new

Please, Someone Smarter Than Myself ... *(BOLD asterisk)

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I use a rag soaked with Ballistol to wipe down my guns and magazines after each outing. When home, I do a cleaning about every 5th outing, I use Shooter Lube and Seal1 to clean my guns, then give them a final wipe with Ballistol.

Good G-d Ive used everything. From oils to greases can't even name them all.

At the end of the day, the only time I had an issue is with my Sig 716. Seems to have a proclivity for M-pro 7. Never any issues with it when I use that oil specifically.

Everything else? CLP ... Hoppes Gun Oil ... M-pro 7 ... Hornady One Shot ... Synthetic motor oil ...

All the same. They all work.

I stay away from the lightweight motor oil, especially in the heat of summer, My lawn mower specifies 20w 50 for the hydraulic pumps so go that route. I have the better part of a quart of Mobil 1 15w50 left over from something that I use on my guns. My thinking is the heavier weight ond the cold end, ie storage, which would be the 15w end is good to stay in place better than a o or 5 w, and the 50w will stay in place better if the gun gets hot instead of thinning and running out.

My guess is lightweight motor oil has more viscosity than the vast majority of gun oils out there which are primarily just mineral oil with little to no viscosity index improvers.

With that, the "heat of summer" will likely make no difference. In fact, where that could be an issue is rather the cold of winter, where a 0W-30 is noticeably thinner than a 20W-50 at 15 degrees F. At 90 degrees, you're not likely to notice a difference at all between the two.

Edit - my lawnmower also calls for 20W-50 for its hydros. Wondering if you also have a Husqvarna 322T ... amazing mower ...

Last edited:
I’ve tried most lubes even if just out of curiosity. CLP was what I always went back to. I now use Ballistol exclusively after trying some 3 years ago. Keeps my rifles running and it’s the easiest clean up of any lube/cleaner

I'm fairly new to the handgun game (almost two years) and have always used the G96 but while looking for a dedicated lube (I was just using CLP)I came across this guy.
I know many proclaim that regular oil is fine as well but this spoke to me for some reason, so I picked some up and will let you know.
Red Line Racing oil 40WT

Has a very nice feel to it.

I haven’t been active on any gun forums for a while. To many egos and opinions for me. There was a local gun shop that went out of business some time ago and I was able to purchase what should amount to a lifetime supply for cheap.

I would agree with the view on gun forums. I don't speak/write of my specific knowledge or experience just because of those 'egos' and 'opinions'...

Besides; I try to embrace the gray man theory. :eek2: Failed today, had to throw my 2 cents.

Just my opinion. I agree with most of what everyone is saying on here that most and any lube works in the short run. But for long term I tried Slip 2000 EWG (no, I don't work for them). A grease, fully synthetic. According to their website, contains no mineral oil, petroleum distillates, Teflon or silicone A little goes a very long way. I'm talking dipping a toothpick and using only that.

I had a couple guns in the safe unused for about 6 months after applying some of this to the vital moving parts. The lube stayed exactly where I applied it. Went on a recent range trip and the grease performed even better than most of the oils I've used. There was no re application between taking out of the safe to range. This stuff has honestly changed everything for me. I highly recommend.

Last edited:
I just use breakfree clp. It goes on everything, and I just re-lube once things start drying out.

What advantage does one lube have over another if they keep the slide/bolt moving properly?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

CLP, cleans, lubes, protect. Good enough to keep military small arms functional, good enough for me.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Lots of interesting opinions & info to mull over...

Regarding Ballistol, well I’ve used it for nearly 20 years, but only on wood stocks & leather slings. The way I see it, Germany lost two World Wars using the stuff, so how good can it be?😉

Eezox is what I use on safe queens & when shooting outdoors where moisture (rain, etc.) is/was in the forecast ... firearms that have been regularly treated with the stuff clean up easily & quite well.

Back to that plant-based Go-Juice ... I did clean up a couple seldom used rifles, then re-lubed them with G-J to determine if with time, it-they would gum up as Ron’s Frog Lube did in his early post. I also did the same with a couple pistols & following a lengthy session at the club, I discovered that for the most part, both the G-J oil & grease stayed put - that, and like Eezox, both handguns cleaned up with minimal effort.

There’s no denying that between the digits, Go-Juice is noticeably slicker than my former go-to Royal Purple Synfilm & also, Amsoil’s Firearm Lubricant & Lucas’s Extreme Duty Gun Oil — so for the time being, I’ll continue using Geiselle’s G-J unless it begins coagulating on those two rifles. As far as safeguarding against rust & corrosion, I did find one backyard rust-test Youtube video in which a G-J-treated slab of steel fared quite well.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
If we are getting away from lubricating and into rust protection I REALLY like Sentry Solutions Marine Tuf-Cloth. Use it on all my knives. Hasn’t let me down in 25 odd years. Wipe em down, let it “dry” and good to go! I use the needle oiler applicator on the pivot points as well.

My guess is lightweight motor oil has more viscosity than the vast majority of gun oils out there which are primarily just mineral oil with little to no viscosity index improvers.

With that, the "heat of summer" will likely make no difference. In fact, where that could be an issue is rather the cold of winter, where a 0W-30 is noticeably thinner than a 20W-50 at 15 degrees F. At 90 degrees, you're not likely to notice a difference at all between the two.

Edit - my lawnmower also calls for 20W-50 for its hydros. Wondering if you also have a Husqvarna 322T ... amazing mower ...
Scag Wildcat. 2006 model. Just had my first problem ever. One of the blade spindle bearings overheated, so have it's at the dealer for repairs.

Top Bottom