What's new

Please someone help me!!!

I have what appears to be an extremely old (180+year old) sharpening stone, inside is a piece of paper reading;
Charney forest stone 1840/1850
Vein ran out 1860
Derbyshire England
Anyone know an expert in the field of somethin like this?

Attachments

• 6AF67E84-7A55-4FC3-9B93-5F8A2FCB56EF.png
    6AF67E84-7A55-4FC3-9B93-5F8A2FCB56EF.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 46
They were oilstones from Derbyshire. Your searches probably aren't turning up anything because the note spells it wrong. Try searching for Charnley or Charnwood forest oil-stones.

They're not all that valuable, but are reputed to be good stones. Flatten it and use it with very light machine oil.

Legion

Staff member
The note is very contemporary. Would be interested to know who wrote it.

If it is a person selling it, maybe dig deeper, which I guess is why you are asking here. But from those pics, it is very hard to tell the stone. And if it is an antique store selling it, my experience is they write whatever google throws up first that is worth money.

I’m not saying it is wrong. I’m just saying, good for you getting a second opinion. Covered in oil like that it could be anything.

also, from the pics it looks like the top of the box does not match the bottom. So that gives me pause.

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
What do you need help with? It might be a Charn. No way to tell from that pic when it's that covered in oil and funk. They are easily identifiable once cleaned up. Get some simple green and wipe it down and clean it up and post some more pics and we can tell you for sure. I agree with Legion, the note looks very contemporary.

What are the dimensions. Charnleys tend to be big. If it's 8x2"? I'd be very suspicious. 13x2.5"? Less so.

Like others said, can't be sure with it that gunked up. I'd tend to suspect that the ID isn't wrong.

Note is contemporary. Most likely a seller at some point wrote down the story they were told when they bought it and stuck it in there.

They can finish a razor alright most of the time. I've never met a truly exceptional razor finisher. I much prefer the softer ones for using like a Washita with knives. The harder ones can be pretty stones, but not especially great at anything in my opinion.

Top Bottom