What's new

Please recommend some sharper DE blades other than Feathers

I just got a Henson mild razor, and I thought I might like to try some sharper blades in it. I have not particularly enjoyed Feather blades in the past, so I'm wondering what are some other sharper brands out there. Some people have mentioned Kai's, but I read something about them being wider, so I'm not sure it would work in a Henson razor.
By the way, generally speaking, I like the Henson razor a lot.
Thank you, help is appreciated.
Have you tried any of the recommended blades?

Voskhod are sharp and smooth. 42 i believe on the sharpness scale according to sharpologist. And I can confirm that they are sharp and smooth. I also have Gillette Perma-Sharp(41) and they are also very sharp and smooth. But the Perma-sharps are only good for 3 shaves, for me at least. GSB and Rapira Platinum Lux are also sharp and smooth. GSB(45/46) and Rapira Platinum Lux (44). GSB are good for 5-7 shaves and Rapira Platinum Lux probably wouldn't do more than 3. I own all these blades and use them in rotations. The lower the sharpness number, the sharper the blade is according to sharpologist.

My favorite is the Rapira Platinum Lux blades, sharp, smooth, and forgiving. If the Voskhod is a good blade, the RPL is a great blade. I use them in my Rex, and Timeless 95 OC, which are both a little blade sensitive. They're a bit smoother than the Nacets, yet just as sharp.

If you want something actually as sharp as a Feather, the aforementioned, while sharp, might not be Feather sharp, there's the German Personna Platinum, which is the Personna Red, now made in Germany. They're sharp, reasonably smooth, but a little edgy for me, especially as I've lost 60 lbs, and the skin isn't quite as tight as it was. - They tend to give me nicks in the Rex & Timeless, but work well in the Rockwell, Slim, and X3 Slant.

My favorite is the Rapira Platinum Lux blades, sharp, smooth, and forgiving. If the Voskhod is a good blade, the RPL is a great blade. I use them in my Rex, and Timeless 95 OC, which are both a little blade sensitive. They're a bit smoother than the Nacets, yet just as sharp.

If you want something actually as sharp as a Feather, the aforementioned, while sharp, might not be Feather sharp, there's the German Personna Platinum, which is the Personna Red, now made in Germany. They're sharp, reasonably smooth, but a little edgy for me, especially as I've lost 60 lbs, and the skin isn't quite as tight as it was. - They tend to give me nicks in the Rex & Timeless, but work well in the Rockwell, Slim, and X3 Slant.
Congrats on losing the 60#! I agree with you on the Rapira Platinum Lux. I enjoy those a lot. They are sharper than a GSB and smooth. I tend to get better results with them on 2 days of growth or less. But anything more than 2 days of growth I either go for the Voskhod or the Gillette Perma-Sharp blades. I use GSB as a benchmark blade because a lot of ppl use them and they are known for their great balance of sharp and smoothness and honestly if it weren't for their high price tag, they would probably be the only blade in my stash lol.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Dude! I cain't handle this much pressure!?!
Hey, I think I recommended the GP's to you, Dave!:cornut:
That is not a defense for poor testing methodology. BTW, his test does not correspond to what the manufacturers actually do in their own test labs. There they use a machine which applies a calibrated, fixed amount of force to a blade which penetrates a target made of layers of standardized paper. The depth of the cut is how they measure the sharpness of the blade. They also sample several blades from a batch to determine if there are any problems in the manufacturing process.
At 3M we used acrylic plastic, and drilled 7 holes with each C216 that we manufactured and sharpened.
20220621_111356[1].jpg

BTW, it's used with a Craniatome if that helps to explain what this drill was used for.

~doug~

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

At 3M we used acrylic plastic, and drilled 7 holes with each C216 that we manufactured and sharpened.
View attachment 1475859
BTW, it's used with a Craniatome if that helps to explain what this drill is used for.

~doug~
This post had me remembering the first TWO surgeries I got to observe in nursing skool. I stood next to the salesman of the devices that were being implanted in the patient.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Dude! I cain't handle this much pressure!?!
That is not a defense for poor testing methodology. BTW, his test does not correspond to what the manufacturers actually do in their own test labs. There they use a machine which applies a calibrated, fixed amount of force to a blade which penetrates a target made of layers of standardized paper. The depth of the cut is how they measure the sharpness of the blade. They also sample several blades from a batch to determine if there are any problems in the manufacturing process.
View attachment 1475859
BTW, it's used with a Craniatome if that helps to explain what this drill is used on.

~doug~
This post had me remembering the first TWO surgeries I got to observe in nursing skool. I stood next to the salesman of the devices that were being implanted in the patient.
When I started at 3M they put me on the titanium hip stem project. Made a few thousand of them. Recently turned one that I scrapped into a razor handle, as I don't need a new hip. At least not yet, and those were ancient technology.
20220211_095201[1].jpg
~doug~

When I started out I had a twenty blade sampler. I was using a EJ DE89 as my starter razor. The two blades that impressed me the most was the Gillette siver blue and the Nacet. The GSB's won out for their superior smoothness.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
These implants were in that general area of the anatomy, but more tender, ha.

My instructor had an amazing sense of humor!

So many posts, so many recommendations. I'll add my suggestions, which have already been listed:

Nacet
Astra SP
GSB
Gillette Platinum
Gillette 7 O'clock black
Permasharp
Bic
Shark Platinum

And one more suggestion - B & B's very own Great Blade Exchange is a great way to try a variety of blades at a very low cost. Here's a link:
Great Blade Exchange

When I started out I had a twenty blade sampler. I was using a EJ DE89 as my starter razor. The two blades that impressed me the most was the Gillette siver blue and the Nacet. The GSB's won out for their superior smoothness.
Both are excellent blades.👍😊💈

Have you tried any of the recommended blades?
My first time using a Personna Platinum in my Henson mild razor today, and I got a nice smooth,close shave. I like to use the blades for 3 days before I change out. I am beginning to think, with my particular face, skin, and beard, that most (not all) blades are going to work well in the Henson mild razor.

I just got a Henson mild razor, and I thought I might like to try some sharper blades in it. I have not particularly enjoyed Feather blades in the past, so I'm wondering what are some other sharper brands out there. Some people have mentioned Kai's, but I read something about them being wider, so I'm not sure it would work in a Henson razor.
By the way, generally speaking, I like the Henson razor a lot.
Thank you, help is appreciated.
With the Henson Mild, the Kai provide all the aggressiveness I want and a great shave. Voskhods and Bic also very good. In fact, I have not tried any blade that was not decent, and the one I liked least was the RK blades that came with it, lol!

Top Bottom