What's new

Please recommend some sharper DE blades other than Feathers

The BLADE FACTOR on a shave is a SO INDIVIDUAL thing that my humble opinion is that is more than useless, is maybe harmful, hang on other people opinions about them.

Only thing I can suggest is get some blade samples and try yourself. Everything else is a waste of time.
But if someone doesn't know about blades, they can use our opinions to zone into a preferred blade profile. When I started wet shaving, I had no idea that Feather & Nacet were ultra sharp. I had no clue that a Bic was sharper than a Feather after the first shave and I had no clue that a Kai blade was wider than the others etc..
A blade is not a blade and the advice on B&B helped me learn the differences. Will the end result be different for each person? Probably! But at least they can find what might generally work. Yes I ended up with a sampler in the beginning but it was a sampler of the blades that probably would meet my expectations based on what I had learned.
And it worked!

Just a caveat: These tests are quite old now and not comprehensive. Testing one blade of each brand is not really good technique, statistically speaking that is a very small sample size. There are many blades out there he does not test at all. Also, note that the only objective comparison is a test of sharpness on a particular machine. Everything else is one man's subjective experience. Note that he does not test blades beyond just a few shaves with each.

As long as a blade is sharp enough to cut your whiskers, there is not much benefit to additional sharpness. This means other factors, such as comfort and durability need to considered, not just sharpness.
Do you have a better reference?

Do you have a better reference

Take that website with the appropriate amount of salt, is all I am saying. You cannot rely on it as if it were a definitive reference. Best to rely on your own experience and judgement.

For example, I like Perma-Sharp Super blades a great deal. However, the Refined Shave website marks them down because he says they get too sharp after the initial shave. He considers that an inconsistency. That is clearly his personal opinion.

He does not test quite a few blades I have found to be good. A person who went by that website would never discover these blades on their own. Also note he has affiliate links, so he gets some remuneration, yet the website has not been updated in a long time.

Last edited:
Take that website with the appropriate amount of salt, is all I am saying. You cannot rely on it as if it were a definitive reference. Best to rely on your own experience and judgement.

For example, I like Perma-Sharp Super blades a great deal. However, the Refined Shave website marks them down because he says they get too sharp after the initial shave. He considers that an inconsistency. That is clearly his personal opinion.

He does not test quite a few blades I have found to be good. A person who went by that website would never discover these blades on their own. Also note he has affiliate links, so he gets some remuneration, yet the website has not been updated in a long time.
I find his results correlate very well with my own experience. It doesn't matter what absolute measurements he records for each blade, the point is that it's a reliable comparison. No, he doesn't have results for every single DE blade, but can you show us a page or post that does?

I find his results correlate very well with my own experience. It doesn't matter what absolute measurements he records for each blade, the point is that it's a reliable comparison. No, he doesn't have results for every single DE blade, but can you show us a page or post that does?
That is not a defense for poor testing methodology. BTW, his test does not correspond to what the manufacturers actually do in their own test labs. There they use a machine which applies a calibrated, fixed amount of force to a blade which penetrates a target made of layers of standardized paper. The depth of the cut is how they measure the sharpness of the blade. They also sample several blades from a batch to determine if there are any problems in the manufacturing process.

Sharpness is not the only thing that is important, in any case. It is something that can be measured, at least indirectly. RS rates the Perma-Sharp Super blades a 3/5. That is a laugh, based on my own experience. That goes to show his ratings are totally subjective despite the measurements.

Last edited:
An engineer at Gillette discovered people can't tell the differences in sharp blades. They just report if there is tugging or not. This discovery is what got Gillette into coated blades. The coatings smooths out the shave.
Seems to make sense but how do you explain a Bic Chrome Platinum?
It gets smoother (and sharper) every time you shave!

I would buy a few tucks of Kai blades (wider than a standard Gillette DE blade) and are smoother blade than the Feather + will give a little more blade exposure for mild razors. Kai blades are pricier but worth it because they last longer than a lot of blades IMO. Other sharp blades that are smoother than feather with nice sharpest are the GSB and Nacet.
I dislike Kai blades for that very reason. The wider blade can cause nicks and cuts in a razor that would normally be quite tame. I prefer a normal width blade in a more aggressive razor if I'm going for more effectiveness.

I would buy one tuck of Kais to make sure you get on with them first. Of course many people love them. 🤷‍♂️

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I dislike Kai blades for that very reason. The wider blade can cause nicks and cuts in a razor that would normally be quite tame. I prefer a normal width blade in a more aggressive razor if I'm going for more effectiveness.

I would buy one tuck of Kais to make sure you get on with them first. Of course many people love them. 🤷‍♂️
I read you did not care for them a while back, I like them because I seem over time like the blade feel or blade exposure and now my milder razors are being used more than ever by this blade. I think my beard whiskers have toughened a little more as I age or my technique has fine tuned more to the blade feel....!
Have some great shaves!

Wilkinson Sword from Germany should be on your list of blades to try. For me, very smooth, sharp, and hold their sharpness longer than 2 shaves. I've gotten as many as 10 great shaves from these blades. I change the blade when I feel the blade is tugging. Averaging probably at least 6 shaves a blade. I flip the blade every shave after the 2nd shave. Never any irritation. YMMV!! Just a suggestion to try, not saying this blade is the best, just how well it works for me!

I used to think sharper, and Feather, was better, but now I find them too harsh post-shave.

I have been using Merkur blades for a few years. They are very smooth, durable, and consistent. I use them one week of daily 3-pass shaves, with no noticeable difference in performance. I bet they could go on longer.

I used to think sharper, and Feather, was better, but now I find them too harsh post-shave.

I have been using Merkur blades for a few years. They are very smooth, durable, and consistent. I use them one week of daily 3-pass shaves, with no noticeable difference in performance. I bet they could go on longer.
I was on the same boat. I've shelved my Feathers because I was also getting that post shave harshness. For now I'm using Gillette Platinum's which are the middle ground for me in terms of excellent sharpness and smoothness. An amazing blade for sure!
If I want something sharper for very mild razors, I go for my Bic Chrome Platinums. They are super sharp but maintain the smoothness. I need to try out Merkur's!

Top Bottom