What's new

Please recommend some sharper DE blades other than Feathers

Check out this page if you really want an objective comparison of blade sharpness. Razor Blade Sharpness Testing - https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-testing/
Just a caveat: These tests are quite old now and not comprehensive. Testing one blade of each brand is not really good technique, statistically speaking that is a very small sample size. There are many blades out there he does not test at all. Also, note that the only objective comparison is a test of sharpness on a particular machine. Everything else is one man's subjective experience. Note that he does not test blades beyond just a few shaves with each.

As long as a blade is sharp enough to cut your whiskers, there is not much benefit to additional sharpness. This means other factors, such as comfort and durability need to considered, not just sharpness.

I would hesitate to declare whether or not any blade is sharper than Feather, but I also don't think that's all that relevant.

I will echo the recommendations for the following blades: Kai, Super Iridium (both Wizamet and Polsilver), King C Gillette, and Gillette Platinum. They each out-perform Feathers in at least one of my razors.

I will also cast my vote with Gillette Platinums, Wizamets, and Perma Sharps. Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edges are pretty sharp too while still maintaining smoothness. I haven't used a feather in awhile unless I haven't shaved in like over a week, and even then.. I'm prolly gonna use a Wizamet to get the job done

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would buy a few tucks of Kai blades (wider than a standard Gillette DE blade) and are smoother blade than the Feather + will give a little more blade exposure for mild razors. Kai blades are pricier but worth it because they last longer than a lot of blades IMO. Other sharp blades that are smoother than feather with nice sharpest are the GSB and Nacet.

Just a caveat: These tests are quite old now and not comprehensive. Testing one blade of each brand is not really good technique, statistically speaking that is a very small sample size. There are many blades out there he does not test at all. Also, note that the only objective comparison is a test of sharpness on a particular machine. Everything else is one man's subjective experience. Note that he does not test blades beyond just a few shaves with each.

As long as a blade is sharp enough to cut your whiskers, there is not much benefit to additional sharpness. This means other factors, such as comfort and durability need to considered, not just sharpness.
That was the study I was looking for, and other than small sample sizes a good start. It did indicate that a Feather blade was sharpest out of the box, and unlike almost every other blade actually decreased in sharpness with use starting with the second shave, so if you're a multiple-use blade shaver, the Feather wouldn't be a first choice.

I bought Bic Chrome Platinum based on that page and they’re nice, but don’t feel particularly sharp compared to a Gillette Nacet or Shark Platinum.
Did you have a second shave with them?
They're definitely sharper than Feathers past the first shave. And smoother!
The first Bic shave isn't always the best!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Did you have a second shave with them?

Absolutely! Minimum of two shaves with six being common and nineteen once just because

They're definitely sharper than Feathers past the first shave. And smoother!

I’ll take your word on sharper, but smoother depended more on me than the blade for both. Bics felt duller compared to Nacet and Feather for me.

Absolutely! Minimum of two shaves with six being common and nineteen once just because

I’ll take your word on sharper, but smoother depended more on me than the blade for both. Bics felt duller compared to Nacet and Feather for me.
As always another YMMV situation. Amazing how this all works (differently) for everyone.

I just got a Henson mild razor, and I thought I might like to try some sharper blades in it. I have not particularly enjoyed Feather blades in the past, so I'm wondering what are some other sharper brands out there.
Here are a few to consider:

BIC Chrome Platinum
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (made in China)
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Wilkinson Sword (made in Germany, starting from shave #2)
Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow).

Gillette Nacet (though I have the slight feeling that all of the blades listed above are perhaps sharper 😉 )

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I must declare I am not a fan of Feather blades so I find most blades perform better. For your particular use though I would suggest BIC Chrome Platinum (smooths out after the first shave or two), Kai, KCG (expensive), Gillette Platinum and Personna Med Prep

The BLADE FACTOR on a shave is a SO INDIVIDUAL thing that my humble opinion is that is more than useless, is maybe harmful, hang on other people opinions about them.

Only thing I can suggest is get some blade samples and try yourself. Everything else is a waste of time.

Perma-Sharp or GSBs. Maybe a new razor is needed instead of sharper blades? A razor blade can only be made so sharp even with modern manufacturing techniques. Happy shaves.

Top Bottom