What's new

Please recommend me Bay Rum fragrances

Dear gents,
I am a bit addicted to bay rum scented stuffs especially in cold seasons.
Most AS spalshes in my den do not have enough staying power for me.
Hence, I am now searing for some BR EDP (or EDT).
At this moment, I am considering the following.
PAA Atom Age BR EDP: If my memory works, PAA AABR EDP is reported to be sweeter than after shave splash.
Is it sweeter than Ogallala BR (double strength).
Ogallala tends to be too sweet for me.
(I am not sure if my preferences for BR go to trational side.)
Besides, PAA AS splash does not have enough staying power for me.
I do not have any opinions about other PAA BR frags.
Stirling BR EDT: Stirling BR products get much praises. Does this one have good staying power?
Chiseled Face BR EDP: CF Midnight Stag is one of my favorite frags. Its BR seems to be suitable for warm seasons as well.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

I can only speak about PAA AABR vs Ogallala.
It is not sweeter than Ogallala, but it is sweet in its own way.
I remember someone describing PAA AABR as root beer-ish. It's good stuff. And it does not have the same staying power as Ogallala.
It is good in its own way.
Bay rums were originally developed in warm-weather countries so don't hesitate to try them in the summer.
I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations for Bay Rum EdT and EdP.

Dear gents,
I am a bit addicted to bay rum scented stuffs especially in cold seasons.
Most AS spalshes in my den do not have enough staying power for me.
Hence, I am now searing for some BR EDP (or EDT).
At this moment, I am considering the following.
PAA Atom Age BR EDP: If my memory works, PAA AABR EDP is reported to be sweeter than after shave splash.
Is it sweeter than Ogallala BR (double strength).
Ogallala tends to be too sweet for me.
(I am not sure if my preferences for BR go to trational side.)
Besides, PAA AS splash does not have enough staying power for me.
I do not have any opinions about other PAA BR frags.
Stirling BR EDT: Stirling BR products get much praises. Does this one have good staying power?
Chiseled Face BR EDP: CF Midnight Stag is one of my favorite frags. Its BR seems to be suitable for warm seasons as well.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
You could always make your own of course.

Recipe here:
Make your own ray rhum - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/make-your-own-ray-rhum.633206/

Probably cheaper and more authentic. I plan trying it myself.

It is also an excellent excuse to buy a good bottle of rhum and vodka, which can then be re-used for bringing good cheer and increased morale to combat the looming dark winter period.

Last edited:
Stirling Bay Rum lasts most of the day on me. It also has a nice dry down, so you don’t get tired of it after several hours. Great fragrance.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum doesn't have enough staying power for you, there aren't many others that will top it. Ogallala Double Strength has good longevity, but I would steer clear of their cologne and stick with their aftershave. The Ogallala cologne is not as good as the aftershave in my opinion.

Stirling Bay Rum is a nutmeg-heavy take on the scent. I like it very much, but it's different. I have the aftershave and the edt. It has decent staying power. C. O. Bigelow Bay Rum cologne is a very nice scent, but the staying power I would consider to be average.

You may want to consider one of PAA's derivative blends that has Atomic Age Bay Rum as its base. One of my favorites is Atomic Pumpkin. It actually does not have a heavy pumpkin scent, but a good kick of blood orange with the Bay Rum. I have the aftershave and the edt and the longevity on both is good.

If PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum is too sweet for you, you might want to try their Clasico Bay Rum. I have the aftershave and edt of Clasico and the staying power is decent. Scent wise, think a less sweet/toned-down Atomic Age.

I recently discovered that decanting Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum into glass does wonders for its scent and longevity.

Last but not least, I would definitely consider trying Bootlegger's Bay Rum. The formula for mixing can be found in several threads. Good stuff!

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I use Clubman VIBR. Haven’t tried any others except Stirling. Didn’t care for the scent and it burns my face like the devil.

Geo F Trumper also produces a nice bay rum that is pretty much straight cloves, yet it is still quite nice and pairs well with the TOBS bay rum and DR Harris bay rum.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The C.O.Bigelow Bay Rum cologne is strong and long lasting and a very refined scent. But, if you want a really strong and really long lasting clove-rich bay rum scent then I recommend this:

1673185053433.png

Pashana American Bay Rum - but but but...... that's a hair tonic! Yes I know - and it works great as an aftershave - stings like hell; and works even better as a cologne. I love it - cheap as chips and you will smell like a Christmas pudding for days - don't say you weren't warned 😄

The bay rum from Jamaica , Dominica and Puerto Rico very good , several brands to choose from . My favorite is Superior 70 from Puerto Rico , both reg or mentholated ....Here are some of the best:

Attachments

• 66595eb6-6f7b-4ca5-8533-abdfe785da0c_1.082d7abb1b55e5cba11d16991247da45.jpeg
    66595eb6-6f7b-4ca5-8533-abdfe785da0c_1.082d7abb1b55e5cba11d16991247da45.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 1ed267_5c326dcb890a4251afc50032cbf93aec~mv2_d_1400_2100_s_2.jpg
    1ed267_5c326dcb890a4251afc50032cbf93aec~mv2_d_1400_2100_s_2.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Pomo superior 70L.jpg
    Pomo superior 70L.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 67tsh37.jpg
    67tsh37.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2023-01-08 102630.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-08 102630.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 44
The bay rum from Jamaica , Dominica and Puerto Rico very good , several brands to choose from . My favorite is Superior 70 from Puerto Rico , both reg or mentholated ....Here are some of the best:
I’ve heard great things about Superior 70. A couple of years ago I tried to get some but seemed impossible. Is it back on the market? Any suggestion on where to get it?

Captain’s Choice is what I reach for when wanting a Bay Rum. Cat O’ Nine Tails, I enjoy even more.
The Cat O'Nine Tails is really nice, and Captain's Choice keeps the ingredients list simple. Thor's Hammer bay rum is a nice traditional bay rum but is also thick (for a splash) and goes on nice. My current go-to bay rum is Barrister and Mann, which doesn't have the prominent clove notes of other bay rums but isn't missing it. Probably the best summer bay rum smell, although I can do bay rum year round.

My favorite is Superior 70 from Puerto Rico
Oh heck, yeah. The real thing as far as I know. From bay trees, pimenta racemosa. No added cinnamon and cloves or anything else. Very very little tenacity, which is exactly what a true, pure bay rum has.

Like other true bay rums makes my face red. Apparently an allergic reaction. I love the smell.

Top Bottom