What's new

Please recommend me an adjustable stainless steel safety razor

And a Zamak adjustable doesn't need to be hard on the eyes either! :biggrin1:

20220130_093802.jpg

... I know Rockwell 6S is a so called adjustable, but changing base plates mid shaves for second and third passes - I think it will not be practical.
Speaking as a longish-time Rockwell 6S user, I've personally never felt the need to change base-plates mid-shave. I chose the base plate I needed for that day's shave - from start to finish; most often that was plate R3. If I felt the need for either a more, or less, aggressive shave I chose a different plate to meet the need. I did experiment, briefly, with using two plates for a single shave, but found that was really not necessary. I don't know, that's just me and maybe I was doing it wrong. LOL...

I own several adjustables, including the Rex, Mergress, Slim, 6S, Tatura, Variant and a couple of others I can’t recall. Upon receipt of each one, I chose the most “aggressive” setting or plate and have never adjusted. I’m really enjoying my Rex these days, but it’s silly for me to buy an adjustable I never adjust. I’m done buying adjustables.

I have a Progress/Mergress. I came here searching for a new adjustable and found this thread. I have a Timeless that I use in rotation and the Rex clone (forgot the name) but don't like it and don't use it. I have also had a Futur and the 2000 which they discontinued.

My problem with the Progress and the reason I am here is the male threads on the cap disintegrated. This could be my fault. I was leaving my razors in CLR overnight. It's the only thing I can think of that might be the cause. Going to see if I can purchase a new cap from them but still want to find another adjustable.

"CLR overnight" will destroy just about anything metallic, I think.

There's a Pearl adjustable, machined brass, chrome plated, that might suit you. It's not s/s, but it doesn't carry an s/s price, either.

. Charles

A RazoRock Game Changer is adjustable in the same way the Rockwell 6S is, with 2 blade gaps and 3 comb styles. Buying the plates separately is a bit pricey though.

Scratch and Dent razors also knock off a considerable chunk. I paid $75 for my Envoy directly from Rex. My Ambassador I got on the BST forum for $115, also a scratch and dent. My Timeless and Above The Tie razors are scratch and dent as well. There are deals to be had with a little looking.
The damage is generally small imperfections that can hardly be seen and in no way hinder the shave.

Personally if you were to consider using a Rockwell 6S, then I would suggest using above the Tie Razors and select multiple base plates

I have a Gillette Slim, which is plated brass. I also have a Merkur Progress. I think the Merkur shaves a little better for me, but it is not solid brass. I also have a RR Game Changer with both heads. Great shaver. However, my favorite is not adjustable. It is a Henson Titanium Ti22 medium. No comparison with the others, it is that good, for me.

I'm going to jump in with a bit of advice, not recommendations for a specific razor, and I'm starting with your concern about cost/collecting. When I started DE shaving, it was for practical reasons, and a bit of nostalgia (watching dad and four brothers shave). I got hooked almost immediately, and started collecting not just for my own shaving needs, but because it was an interesting/historical/niche (teeny tiny women's razors that could practically fit in a matchbox, for example). I also found it a bit chaotic shuffling between about 7 razors I used for myself. I ended up keeping two, and giving the rest to the Saint Sue charity auction this site runs.

It is easy to have 'vintage', nostalgic, 'cool', artistry aspects lead you down the road of collecting, so is trying to have ten razors for every conceivable situation. Proceed with caution.

To my way of thinking, you are trying to do two things at once, try adjustables for the first time, try stainless steel for longevity. To that, response is, as has been stated, so long as you avoid pot metal, and preferably zinc and zamack (zamack is okay, but shouldn't be first choice)... you should be good to go. Chrome vs nickel plate isn't good vs bad, but they each have their own characteristics, and as someone pointed out, titanium, aluminum, etc are durable. So, at least consider non SS if you are also trying for a better price point.

Next. My suggestion is to get a good rep/moderate price adjustable. See how you like adjustables. It doesn't make much sense to get a high end adjustable, and never really adjust it. If the adjustable experience goes well, then dive into more expensive models. If you don't like them, then come back and see what might work in other types. Most reviews online, and people here, are pretty good at knowing which non-adjustables give a good mild, medium, or aggressive shave.

Just some thoughts as to how you are thinking about this, rather than specific razor recommendations.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have Brass, Aluminum, semi plastic and Zamak adjustable razors and to Honest about it the brass razors that are nickel and chrome coated are just as good as my 3 pc stainless steel razors IMO. I just bought recently a Yaqi TFC adjustable razor and it is fine piece and works just as good as my other razors and I like Zamak razors also ( I only have a few Zamac razors because I bought a lot of vintage razors).
If you want high end stainless steel razors there are some very nice ones out there but they are pricy IMO.
(L to R) Yaqi TFC, Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Slim, Schick M3, Tom White DE TARMAX proto type & Mingshi 2000(Merkur Futur clone)
Ron's adjustable razors 2022..jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have Brass, Aluminum, semi plastic and Zamak adjustable razors and to Honest about it the brass razors that are nickel and chrome coated are just as good as my 3 pc stainless steel razors IMO. I just bought recently a Yaqi TFC adjustable razor and it is fine piece and works just as good as my other razors and I like Zamak razors also ( I only have a few Zamac razors because I bought a lot of vintage razors).
If you want high end stainless steel razors there are some very nice ones out there but they are pricy IMO.
(L to R) Yaqi TFC, Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Slim, Schick M3, Tom White DE TARMAX proto type & Mingshi 2000(Merkur Futur clone)
View attachment 1429973

Have some great shaves!
Pray tell, does the ladder-like order mean the razors at lower position are inferior? :lol:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Pray tell, does the ladder-like order mean the razors at lower position are inferior? :lol:
Sort of I guess, I used them all many times and some are just better than others in design & performance IMO. I have read a lot of posts over the years and when it comes to any razors some folks will love a certain razor that I consider not all that great a performer. A least we can joke about it and have a few laughs hopefully.:a21:

Top Bottom