What's new

Please recommend me an adjustable stainless steel safety razor

I am new to wet shaving, my first DE razor is Muhle R89, as it is one of the obvious choices for a noob.
I know it is Zamak but I wanted to check whether DE razors are suitable for me at all. Now I saw that is much better than using expensive cartidges such as Fusion 5, I would like to buy an adjustable DE razor.

I don`t plan to be a collector for now, so I need a stainless steel razor that will be suitable for all types of hair growth.
Are there any other options for an adjustable stainless steel besides Rex Ambassador and Tatara Muramasa ? They look marvelous, but they are too expensive for me. I know Rockwell 6S is a so called adjustable, but changing base plates mid shaves for second and third passes - I think it will not be practical.

So please recommend a good value for money adjustable ss razor.

If you consider the Rex you should put eyes on the Pearl flexi. Shaves similar, but better because of less blade feel and much less drag in the skin. Its not stainless steel but machined brass, much less expensive, around 70 Euro.
I don't have another option for an adjustable in your price range...

To your info, I have the Rockwell, the Rex, the Flexi, the Progress and the new Yaqi Adjustable. And I had a Gillette super adjustable and tried the slim and the fat boy. The vintage Gillette are much overrated IMHO.

Every face is different but I think if you can be happy with coated brass the Flexi will be a real winner for you.

I have two stainless steel razors, an Ambassador and 6s. Both were generous gifts, so I completely understand the issue of cost. The S6 is a recent addition, but I already absolutely love it. Yes, it uses plates, but I have found that I never change the razor during the shave. I currently have the #4 baseplate, but I have also used the #5 with great results. I will eventually try the #6 as well. Personally, I don't think you can do better than the 6s at the price point. That said, you can get the same great shave with a variety of razors. I purchased two of my sons Gillette Slims (the third doesn't have an interest in DE razors, though that may change in the future). I was using one of the Slims before passing it along and it was a great razor. You can find them on the BST, as well as eBay. Personally, I prefer BST as folks here provide accurate descriptions and fair pricing. I also had a Fatboy for years, but passed it along when I received the Ambassador. My wife had a Black Beauty / Super Adjustable, though she uses a Lady Gillette these days. It is also an excellent razor.

Rockwell 6S and Timeless SS with a choice of 6 base plates available ( 3 at .68 gap and 3 at .95) you pick one or more as you
choose and can afford. The vintage Gillettes while not SS are plated brass for the most part - Slim, Fatboy, and will last as long as any modern SS. Much less expensive than Rockwell or Timeless, again for the most part. Search and read on this and other shaving websites. Good luck, while different from each other they all give good shaves to most users.

I bet if you were to poll most owners of adjustable razors, few — if any — adjust the razor mid shave. In your price point, the Rockwell may be your best bet. Alternatively, for an additional sum, consider the Tatara Masamune and purchase the Nodachi plate separately.

I shave both head and face, and I do adjust between. Whether it is the Yates, Rockwell, or Karve, it is really not inconvenient to swap plates. But the adjustable is a welcome convenience.

Although not stainless, the Merkur Progress is a superb adjustable razor. With proper care (dry it off after a shave) a zamak razor will give you many years of service. And they are much less expensive to replace if you have to.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Stainless steel razors are a work of art, I am a watch, consoles and games collector and I am just afraid that I will start another wallet-ruining hobby. How would you explain the very few options for adjustable SS de razors ? For non-adjustable there are many. Executive Shaving / Alpha Outlaw razor and Feather AS D2 look stunning, but do you think it will be more practical for me to buy Rockwell 6S(at least it gives me some adjustment options, and I do not have any adjustable, even zamak ones).

Also what is the main difference between machined vs not machined stainless steel, would it be an issue that Rockwell 6S is not machined ?

With the Rex, Tataras and Taigas being pretty expensive I would point you towards brass razors. Pearl Flexi is a very good shaving machine. According to reviews and fellow b&b members the Flexi's shave is comparable (some say better) than the Rex's.
I have one and like it but some of the Flexi's have some minor problems, even though the manufacturer claims they have been solved. Mine for example only aligns properly if screwed down when the dial is set to 4-5 or 6. The manual says dial on 1, then tighten.
Given it's price difference and the fact that is shaves so very well, I can live with it.

Another durable option would be a Gillette slim or super adjustable black beauty.

GO stainless and adjustable on the fly and it will cost you.
I understand some people say they dont adjust theirs whilst shaving, which makes the Rockwell 6 interesting. I am however a shaver who does adjust, so no rockwell 6 for me.

I have a Rockwell t2 on sale on the Bay, but the head is zamac, so I won't push any further. 😇

Merkur Progress is an affordable zamac option and also a very good shaver, without any alignment problems.

I must add to my previous post that I had the Taiga too. I preferred the open comb plate which isn't delivered anymore with the new ones. I didn't like the taiga because it's not well balanced. It's too head heavy aud feels kinda un harmonic to me.

Is the Taiga available in the EU ? Also what are your thoughts on Tatara Muramasa. It looks like a piece an art, extremely modernistic minimalistic design, it seems functional. So I can summarize that for around 100 to 120 EUR the Rockwell 6S is my best option ?

I joined B&B last year with the same question
for the same reason - I don't like having more than 2 of a tool (be it a hammer, screwdriver or razor). I like my 6S, can't say whether it will suit you. But I can tell you this: if you are looking for longevity, modern and stainless steel is not the only option. Vintage, brass, aluminum, titanium are also adequate and well suited for wet shaving (unlike pot metal IMHO). Brass and aluminum are easier to machine and will be less expensive.
Another point: in my experience, having an adjustable doesn't necessarily guarantee you optimal results. If you shave once a month, 6SR6 might do the job but so will an open comb, possibly with less irritation. If you have very sensitive skin, you will likely be happy with plates R1, R2 , but I have seen (not owned mind you) alternatives like Henson, Yates and pivoting cart-like DEs such as Focus Dynamic, Leaf or ShaveNT. They might be even milder and more foolproof. Bottom line: keep your Mühle if it works well for you and if you want something with a similar geometry for cheap, you can purchase a Green Cult steel razor. If you are not satisfied with your R89, you can either try the 6S or you can try something different (OC, slant or different SB design).

Your profile shows your age with 32. To put that into perspective most vintage Gillette Adjustables are from the 60ies and perfectly usable today —> 60+ years.

The Merkur Progress design made from lowly Pot Metal is from the 50ies and still news of galloping Zamak rot are pretty rare. Maybe they just explode after a couple of years idk…

If the price for cnc machined stainless steel is too rich for you - as it is for me - get a vintage piece of history or a super usable modern brass (Flexi) or Zamak (current Progress) razor for rather small money. You will have a fine shaver for MANY years to come.

EF673AFB-C4C5-4693-BE21-EA4CDFB44ED8.jpeg

How would you explain the very few options for adjustable SS de razors ?

Also what is the main difference between machined vs not machined stainless steel, would it be an issue that Rockwell 6S is not machined ?
The polished stainless steel requires more labor to achieve the high mirror glossy finish, making it more expensive. It looks great and *might* even feel smoother across the skin, but in my experience, not a factor. They are stunningly beautiful. They are also highly susceptible to scratches if you are clumsy like me. I personally do not want to have to worry about scratching up such a fine expensive finish. Scratches will not affect the shave, just the aesthetic. Plus, I am frugal (ok, cheap) and really like paying less for as machined, matte, or bead blasted finishes.

As for the Rockwell 6S, it is a butter smooth shave. Head is a little on the fat side. The Karve Christopher Bradley has the same level of buttery smoothness, with a more elegant design. Karve is also available in SS.

As for why fewer adjustable options? Probably due to business considerations. Higher cost of materials and labor. There are more parts to produce in an adjustable, raising costs.

Another vote for the Progress. Mine is 16 years old and looks new. It is a time tested design and changing settings during the shave is very quick and easy.

After using it for a while you might realize that you don't really like changing during the shave and then you can buy a nonadjustable SS/titanium luxury razor with many more options open to you.

Any SS adjustable (meaning on-the-fly adjustable, with an adjustment dial) safety razor - right now - is going to be in the $300-500 (and up) USD range (Rex, Taiga, Rocnel Sailor, Muramasa). Nature of the material and manufacturing costs, and any of them would likely last a few centuries. There are however, as mentioned, several very solidly made, great shaving adjustables made of plated brass and/or Zamak - the Flexi, Mergress/Progress, Rockwell Model T, Parker Variant, and vintage adjustables like the Slim and Fat Boy as examples - that will last your lifetime and beyond - that can be had for frequently less than $100 USD or a bit more. Just a question of where you want to put your priorities and cash. You won't - necessarily - get a better shave just because a razor is more expensive or made of a particular material.

Last edited:
Your profile shows your age with 32. To put that into perspective most vintage Gillette Adjustables are from the 60ies and perfectly usable today —> 60+ years.

The Merkur Progress design made from lowly Pot Metal is from the 50ies and still news of galloping Zamak rot are pretty rare. Maybe they just explode after a couple of years idk…

If the price for cnc machined stainless steel is too rich for you - as it is for me - get a vintage piece of history or a super usable modern brass (Flexi) or Zamak (current Progress) razor for rather small money. You will have a fine shaver for MANY years to come.

View attachment 1401827
You put the Progress a bit higher than the Gillettes, eh? :biggrin1:

Top Bottom