What's new

Please recommend a good meat thermometer

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
One less thing connected to the phone
"They" dont need to know how i cook my steaks

It's not that at all. I use the ThermoWorks app with the Signals. However, the Signals also has its own readouts and controls and alarms built into the unit. If sunbathing ever goes haywire with wireless, I can still use it. I also can just glance at it to see what's going on, rather than have to fiddle with my phone. The app is quite convenient but not at all necessary.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It's not that at all. I use the ThermoWorks app with the Signals. However, the Signals also has its own readouts and controls and alarms built into the unit. If sunbathing ever goes haywire with wireless, I can still use it. I also can just glance at it to see what's going on, rather than have to fiddle with my phone. The app is quite convenient but not at all necessary.

That sounds better than I originally thought. I certainly am not opposed to an app as an enhancement but I just don't like when the app is the brains of the thing.

Plus one for anything thermoworks. Watch the ones with the wire remote that stay in as you cook. The lines can melt when exposed to higher heat (400+).. they are designed for use in smokers (sub 300). The website will show the temperature ratings for the different (leave in) models.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Watch the ones with the wire remote that stay in as you cook. The lines can melt when exposed to higher heat (400+).. they are designed for use in smokers (sub 300).

Thanks, good point!

"Fortunately", they were having a sale on "ugly grey" thermapens too, soo I got one as well. (*sigh* ... I'm combining shipping, right fellas??). I'm sure the leave-in DOT will be really usefull for the reverse sear on my prime ribs ...

I have had a pen type for years, it's fantastic.. I love how responsive it is, so you can move it through the meat and know all the temperatures all the way through. The best! JM

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Used my DOT the other day for the first time.

Memo to self ... be sure probe is inserted into centre of meat, not stuck all the way to the bottom. Again.

:001_rolle

Memo to self ... be sure probe is inserted into centre of meat, not stuck all the way to the bottom. Again.

Probe from center of the side going parallel to the top or bottom and you'll be fine. (Room permitting...)
dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Probe from center of the side going parallel to the top or bottom and you'll be fine. (Room permitting...)
dave

I thought that's what I had done. The meat seemed to be cooking really quickly. Eventually I went to turn it over, and saw how the probe was not horizontal but angled down and ending up almost out of the meat.

D'oh!

Fixed that, finished cooking the meat, and really enjoyed it.

Even when I'm using our Dot or Smoke, I always double check with my Thermapen in a few spots for this very reason.

I've done thar more than once.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Cooked a roast pork yesterday. The DOT got it to perfection.

I usually get irked when restaurants tell us that they cook something "to perfection" but in this case, yes.

Perfection.

I have a bread book and the guy mentions to look for thermometers by CDN for a quality and accuracy. I know you got one, but I'm case people are looking for options

Top Bottom