What's new

Please recommend a good meat thermometer

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
SWMBO recently complained that her current meat thermometer ... something like this (but don't remember the exact brand) ...

proxy.php

... was crap. Sooo ... me being the sort to pay attention to her subtle comments ...

proxy.php

... I thought my highly knowledgeable brethren at B&B might be able to suggest a good replacement that I can hopefully get my hands on by Mother's Day.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I 've been using a ThermoWorks DOT for a few years now, works well and not a bad price. ordered mine from them and was reasonably shipped to Canada. Have since seen at least one neighbourhood store carrying ThermoWorks products.

No frills basic tool.
DOT® Oven Alarm Thermometer from ThermoWorks
dave

Thanks ... does that wire not interfere with getting a proper seal when closing the oven?

I can only judge by the end product of the cook, food's been cooked as expected. Have also used it with a propane grill and a Weber Kettle with no issues.
dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've been very happy with ThermoWorks products. Top notch.

Thanks guys.

I take it the DOT mentioned above will serve as a meat thermometer, and all I have to do is insert the prong before starting to cook, insert meat in stove, wait, and check back occasionally until "done"?

That might be the ticket!

With the DOT and certainly others you set the target temperature and when it's reached there's an audio alarm to alert you that you are there.

Wireless units to monitor with your phone...

If you know the approximate time that the coook is going to take there's no point in having the probe in to start the cook, just pop the probe in near the end time to monitor until done, or with the probe in just come back periodically to turn on and check the temp and leave on for the final bit of time necessary, saves the battery when its a long cook.
dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have a kitchen full of Thermaworks stuff and can't say enough good things about them. You can't go wrong.

MEATER+

I got one a few weeks ago: it's wireless and you download the app to your phone or tablet, stick the probe into your meat (I know what you're thinking, don't go there!), then open the app. It asks you what meat you are cooking, and to what level of 'doneness'. It then calculates the cooking time and away you go. It tells you when to remove from the oven, and how long it needs to rest.

So far I have cooked 2 ribeye joints, the first one I left resting for too long as my veges were not ready, but the second time was pretty much perfect. Chicken breasts roasted up even better than if I had sous vided them as usual. On Wednesday I did whole chicken, again, pretty much perfect.

It cost me about USD120 with delivery so it wasn't cheap, but it's the best bit of kit I have got my paws on in a long time.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Just to elaborate on my love for Thermoworks, I always seem to have a Thermapen nearby when cooking something that needs quick checks. At least one ChefAlarm always seems to be sitting right next to our oven. The Signals is my new best friend when cooking on the pit or pellet cooker.

While the +MEATER looks intriguing, I want something that has its own display and that does not depend entirely on an app or wifi/bluetooth/cellular connection to be of any use.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Just to elaborate on my love for Thermoworks, I always seem to have a Thermapen nearby when cooking something that needs quick checks. At least one ChefAlarm always seems to be sitting right next to our oven. The Signals is my new best friend when cooking on the pit or pellet cooker.

While the +MEATER looks intriguing, I want something that has its own display and that does not depend entirely on an app or wifi/bluetooth/cellular connection to be of any use.
One less thing connected to the phone
"They" dont need to know how i cook my steaks

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
One less thing connected to the phone
"They" dont need to know how i cook my steaks

I would agree with that. I'm not in favor of the phone running everything, I'd rather have a device with the brains built in and not depend on the whims of app makers, phone makers, OS makers and the like keeping it functioning, not to mention what joy that creates when one gets a new phone and needs to load and configure a bunch of apps to use your electronics the way you were before.

Top Bottom