What's new

Please recommend a Dremel bit for this

Ever Ready 650PB project:

I need to deepen the hole to accommodate a deeper set for the knot--about another 1-2mm. I have some boring bits but they don't remove a lot of material and they have small footprints. So it's difficult to keep the surface area flat.

Also, does anyone know what this handle is made of?? It's hard as rock! It's also solid unlike all of the other Ever Ready brushes I've restored.

If you do have a suggestion, a model number would totally help me out. Thanks!

IMG_7762.JPG

Thanks. Pretty sure I'm past the epoxy. You can see a bit of a divot in there. That was made by a drill bit that wasn't going anywhere quickly.

It's probably plaster inside old catalin.

The bit linked above is what I would use too but getting it level takes time. I find going a few millimeters deeper and filing with a layer of epoxy set to dry self levels very well and fills any odd voids.

A forstner drill bit would be good. Be careful though if you're using it in a handheld drill.

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to look for that bit at the hardware store. Hopefully they have it so I don't have to wait 2 weeks for Amazon to send it.

I've used the 115 bit before. Be careful. This bit was the reason I decided to get a good pair of gloves while working with the dremel.

Don't you hold the handle in a vise to work on it?
dave

I probably should. I'm usually on my front porch and have the brush in one hand and the dremel in the other. I've learned through trial and error (otherwise known as bleeding) to wear a good glove on my brush holding hand. I've gotten much better and still have a dark round spot on my hand where the 115 bit got me. :001_smile

Yes a fantastic bit I use mine all the time, as the post above handle in one hand dremel in the other. I start in the centre get the depth required then work outwards but go slow, as said above level with epoxy job done but one question how deep are you going to set your knot.

I probably should. I'm usually on my front porch and have the brush in one hand and the dremel in the other. I've learned through trial and error (otherwise known as bleeding) to wear a good glove on my brush holding hand. I've gotten much better and still have a dark round spot on my hand where the 115 bit got me. :001_smile

Unfortunately I don't have a vise at home. I just hold on tight and Dremel the opening. Haven't cut my hand yet (knock knock) but I did ruin a C40 project when the tip ran away and gouged the outside of the brush handle. :07:

And done! After a shampoo, soak, and overnight lather, she should be ready to go tomorrow.

Thanks again for the Dremel 115 bit recommendation. That little thing is going to be extremely useful from now on.

Whatever hard plastic material this handle was made of definitely polishes up nicely! It ended up with a really high gloss and great ivory color.

IMG_7848.JPG

and a little Rub'n'Buff...

IMG_7847.JPG

Nice brush! The knot is a two-band finest from vigshaving I ordered on recommendation from @CigarSmoka in this thread: KLENZO B 985 Brush with silver tip

The knot shed about 5 or so hairs so hopefully that slows down with time. Other than that, it's a great knot with a little bit of scritch and mediumish backbone. Great shave this morning!

Thanks for all the advice gang. Here she is post-bloom:

IMG_7858.JPG

Top Bottom