What's new

Please, read this.

Hello Gentlemen,

Some months back i started this thread in full assurance that the King c Gillette blade gave me inconsistent shaves, and i want to give a update on that. Even after using many different blades i still had the problem in which my shaves were scratchy and tuggy‘er then usual. Now many different blades, soaps, preps and months later, i found out that along the way, i adopted a different angle when using my DE which resulted in these problems. When i finally became conscious of it, i changed back to my normal angle which i used for years and lo and behold everything is back to smooth again. Why did i start to change my angle you ask me? I wasn’t even aware i did. Probably happened because i used to watch a lot of the YouTuber wetshavers and must have adopted something i saw there. So i apologize for the misleading information about the King c Gillette blade, they’re great, i even used one today without problems and find them to be a very smooth and gentle blade. Alright fellas, have a good one.

In my 20+ years of DE shaving, I haven’t come across patent duds, but some blades may not have lasted their usual time, and I am not saying that duds don’t happen…

With some brands there is possibly more variation in quality than with others, and I also recall that Derby Extra blades were once highly rated and have since dropped to an at best unremarkable status. So things do change…

And it is also safe to say that Gillette would rather sell you replacement cartridges than DE razor blades, as cartridges is where the money is. So the Gillette affair with DE blades a a marriage of convenience (better make little money than give the business to someone else), not a match made in heaven.

When suddenly my morning shave turns out to be rougher than normal, it is sometimes because I had a few more drinks than usual :a17: the night before, as acohol consumption, among other things, dehydrates the skin - with obvious repercussions on the shave. :001_cool:

B.

Last edited:
John, glad that you were able to effectively troubleshoot your rough shaves.

Your story reminded me of a long forgotten instance of me doing exactly the same thing (minus the YouTube viewing).

As I remember, my solution was to revisit riding the cap and angling down until I felt the blade.

I battled through irritation with my first puck of soap only to discover that I had a reaction to the soap. New soap, problem solved.

Believe it or not, you are not the only one to mention this. I was on Amazon reading reviews on the Feather blades, and I found it fascinating that some reviewers, were talking about how some of their blade packs were being shipped to them already dull from the factory.

At first I thought this was a planted review to badmouth Feather blades, as we all know, there are a lot of non-legit reviews on Amazon and other places. However, hearing you talk about this, I am beginning to think that there might be merit to this.

We all know that since the pandemic started, quality control went out the window from most brands. I've seen more reports of product defects then ever before since the pandemic started. I think companies are feeling pressure to spit out product as fast as possible, to keep up with demand.

This is also one of the reasons why I am not going to be buying more Feather blades next month, I got about 52 Feather blades left right now. But I am planning to buy a 100 pack of the Bic Platinum blades this month. Several have recommended them as being top notch blades.

I am happy to hear that the Nacet blades have been treating you well. Thanks for making your report, and bringing a light to this situation. I can only hope that other's will chime in, to confirm your findings. I think this is something that needs to be talked about.
I would avoid buying blades from Amazon. You never know if you are getting real blades or not. Counterfeit Feather blades are not uncommon. Astra SP are also counterfeited as well. I would stick with reputable shaving retailers for blades.

Top Bottom