What's new

Please pronounce this iconic outdoorsman's knife ...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
None of the above, although I see what you getting at phonetic spelling should use the least amount of letters. It's: Bow-We

Is that Bow as in Bow and arrow, or Bow as in Bow to the king?
Is it We, as in We are going to the movies, or We as in the abbreviation for Wednesday?
:laugh:
Phonetic spelling produces its own set of challenges.

This isn’t helping my ad for a Bowie knife. Been waiting one for a while. I was looking at the cold steel Wild West Bowie but not sure how it’ll do.

David Robert Jones aka David Bowie (London, England) pronounced his own name Bo - eee, but Jim Bowie (Kentucky, United States) pronounced his own name Boo - eee

In MA, town called Woburn. You'd think Woe-Burn but it's Woo-Burn. Fun & games with colloquial pronunciations & dialects.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
It is said differently in Texas, Tennessee… in fact, in Australia, you can’t even hear the “B” or “W” in the Dundee dialect, which goes something like this: “That’s not a knife. This is a knife.”

074A7D6C-90DE-4B5D-A009-838F85887E93.jpeg

Yeah, MA is its own world. I went to Worcester, MA to conference with some contractors and when we met, the guy in charge said "Welcome to Woo-stuh".

Wicked strange.

Depends on which side, could be Wis-stah too. Same with Medford, Meffa or Midfid. Here long enough and you know where they were raised.

Bowie, David Bowie

But as I got older, I started saying 'boo-wee' as some blade guys that knew a lot more than I did pronounced it that way

I still don't know how the hell to pronounce it!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"Bo-we"--the same as it was pronounced on the "Jim Bowie" television show of yore. ("Jim Bowie, Jim Bowie, Jim Bowie, brave courageous and bold . . .")

At least that's what my creaky memory tells me.

Top Bottom