What's new

Please Help!

Hello Gents,

I just received this razor and was thinking about doing a minor restoration job. I'm a grad student so I'm very tight on cash and was hoping you all would have some technique and materials suggestions... Also, how do I determine what the scale is made of?View attachment 692660

A nice old fenney. I would spend a sheet of 1000 grit wet and dry on it, a sheet of 1500, and if you can find them 2000 and 3000 followed by metal polish if you have some.

Thank you for the advice [MENTION=32408]kcb5150[/MENTION] , and yeah I definitely wanted to do my best to preserve it. I haven't even touched the blade yet other than a bit of silver polish that said it worked well on stainless.

Hello Gents,

I just received this razor and was thinking about doing a minor restoration job. I'm a grad student so I'm very tight on cash and was hoping you all would have some technique and materials suggestions... Also, how do I determine what the scale is made of?View attachment 692660

The scales are most likely acylic or possibly celluloid.

Thank you for the advice @kcb5150 , and yeah I definitely wanted to do my best to preserve it. I haven't even touched the blade yet other than a bit of silver polish that said it worked well on stainless.

I'm no expert, but that blade is not stainless steel. I have found that Autosol polishes blades pretty well - also Dremel's polish. As for the scales, at that age I would guess that they are made of Vulcanite.

C.

Top Bottom