What's new

Please help with my next purchase

I stared shaving with the Popular Feather razor, and loved it; then i got a EJ DE89...now I need to try an open comb razor (at least that’s my story with SWMBO). I’m thinking about gettin a Merkur 25C, any suggestions?

Hannah’s Dad is right. I know because I just got a NEW LC from him. It has a shorter handle than that 25C.

I am a big OC fan. Other possibilities to consider, also sporting shorter handles:

FaTip Piccolo or Grande, under $30, more aggressive than the Merkur

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements DOC nickel plated, about $35, nice grippy handle

I personally like the long handled all stainless Fendrihan dual comb (OC one one side) razor. $25 on sale with the Artist handle.

All that said, I like my Merkur 15C just fine. It’s the same as the 25C, just a short handle. My Merkur slant is 40 years old and going strong.

I rather have one with the long handle...and I don’t mean to be rude, but I’m not comfortable with second hand razors

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Well, I wouldn't call vintage razors "second hand". Maybe "pre-loved". Really its no different that eating with silverware at restaurants that hundreds, maybe thousands, of people have put it their mouths before you. Or, for that matter, the tools at your dentist's office. That is to say that proper cleaning and sterilization does wonders for metal utensils.

I have a Merkur 41C OC, and its a cracking little razor. Although the 41C has the dainty 1904 handle, all the Merkur OCs share the same head. It is extremely mild. Coming from a Feather Popular, that may suit you quite well. I find it a little too mild for my daily shave, but absolutely perfect for, shall we say, sensitive assignments.

I rather have one with the long handle...and I don’t mean to be rude, but I’m not comfortable with second hand razors

I understand your feelings about used vintage razors. I got accustomed to using someone else's razor the easy way - I inherited a vintage Gillette Old Type from my grandfather. I have some barber/beauty shop disinfectant (Barbicide is a popular brand) I use on anything I have reason to suspect. I can also understand if you simply just don't want a used razor. There are a variety of good new razor choices suggested above. For longer, heavier handles you might also consider the RazoRock stainless handle with the RazoRock OC head (Italian Barber is the affiliated webstore) or the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Symmetry ($30).

I will repeat my endorsement of the Fendrihan SS dual comb (OC and SB sides) with the only 95mm long 13mm diameter stainless handle I have enjoyed using. A full SS razor at $25 is quite a deal, but only if it shaves well for you. A more obscure choice would be the Geisen&Forsthoff Gentle Shaver. They have 10.5mm diameter stainless handles and standard (zamak I think) heads. I have the short handled OC model 1353K, but they also sell a long handled OC. You might find it on Amazon. I bought mine through a German web dealer. Frankly I think the Merkur OC is a better shaver, though the G&F has a better handle.

Your original idea of a Merkur 25C is a fine choice and probably a great starting point for the whole OC thing.

If you want lots of background reading, the OCtober 2018 and Brotherhood of the Open Comb threads have plenty of posts.

Hope you find the right OC for you!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have a Merkur 985 and really like it. It's the 4-piece travel razor that comes in a little pouch, but the thread is the same as my Edwin Jagger, so if I'm using it at home I use it on the Jagger DE3D14 handle instead of the dinky travel one. If I've gone without shaving for any length of time, that's the configuration of choice for eliminating longer stubble quickly.

First: thanks a lot for taking the time for answering my request.

I know that the razors “pre-loved” (love the expression) don’t have anything wrong...i’m just a weird guy (I die a little bit every time I have to eat soup outside my house, and SWMBO don’t let me take my spoon with me)...in fact I was thinking about getting some of the razors “pre-loved” (I just love this) I often see at the “tianguis” (flea market) and sell them...

Again, thanks a lot. I have homework to do

I love open combs. I have three. I have a Merkur 25C; it is a decent razor, but a little too light. I prefer heavier razors where I can allow the weight of the razor to get the job done.

I much prefer the Parker 24C. The Parker 26C has the same head, but black handle.

I recently obtained a Muhle R41 Grande. It is a lot more aggressive than the Parker. Although I like the R41, I suspect the Parker will continue to be my favorite. The Parker seems to be a very efficient razor without being overly aggressive.

I have both open comb and safety bar razors, but the Parker 24C gives me the best shaves. You do need to figure out the correct shave angle, If your handle is too vertical when shaving your cheeks, you will be scraping off skin cells along with your beard. Once you get the right angle, the blade will slice through your beard with minimal irritation.

If you're looking at the lower cost options then the Gillette Long Comb New is an excellent suggestion. The very best of all of the vintage razors I've tried, plus you can use a modern handle on it to give it a bit of an upgrade. If looking at only modern razors I'd likely look at trying to get something in a last a lifetime metal like maybe a Fatip (brass) or one of the lower cost all stainless steel razors from RazoRock.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
If you're looking at the lower cost options then the Gillette Long Comb New is an excellent suggestion. The very best of all of the vintage razors I've tried, plus you can use a modern handle on it to give it a bit of an upgrade. If looking at only modern razors I'd likely look at trying to get something in a last a lifetime metal like maybe a Fatip (brass) or one of the lower cost all stainless steel razors from RazoRock.
+1 Excellent suggestions.

A Fatip OC, Piccolo or Grande.
Solid brass made razor, inexpensive, gives a very close shave.
Was my second razor after EJ 89.
The Fatip will force you to improve your technique. If you learn well He will be smooth... Really a good razor.
Another step up may also be the Rockwell 6s.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

First: thanks a lot for taking the time for answering my request.

I know that the razors “pre-loved” (love the expression) don’t have anything wrong...i’m just a weird guy (I die a little bit every time I have to eat soup outside my house, and SWMBO don’t let me take my spoon with me)...in fact I was thinking about getting some of the razors “pre-loved” (I just love this) I often see at the “tianguis” (flea market) and sell them...

Again, thanks a lot. I have homework to do
Why not get a replated vintage razor?

While doing my homework (following the Fatip suggestion) I found the Fatip Piccolo Double Comb Special Edition...I love it!

Top Bottom