What's new

Please Help!! - Semogue Mistura or Boar???

B56F8A06-E2D6-4FAB-ACAA-203E04138FB6.jpeg

I've followed your recommendations almost to a tee haha, aside from going for the C3 boar over the C5, however now I'm not sure if I should've got the C5 instead haha. There's just toooooo many choices! :wacko:
Don't worry, you will probably like the C3 a lot. The inverted cone shape of the Semogue boar knots (once bloomed) will give good coverage. 22mm is a great size for face lathering, especially.

Out of curiosity how long did it take to get your C5 boar to bloom as in the photo?

My C5 boar was quite slow to break in. I became a little annoyed with it, actually, but after about 30 lathers, the brush changed completely. It became softer, yet with firm backbone, a good lather generator and looked much like @dmshaver 's photo.

Don't worry, you will probably like the C3 a lot. The inverted cone shape of the Semogue boar knots (once bloomed) will give good coverage. 22mm is a great size for face lathering, especially.

My C5 boar was quite slow to break in. I became a little annoyed with it, actually, but after about 30 lathers, the brush changed completely. It became softer, yet with firm backbone, a good lather generator and looked much like @dmshaver 's photo.
Yes I'm sure I'll like it, sometimes I over think a purchase choice and spend too much time pondering haha. Best to just get one and see how I get one with it. I guess that long break in period is expected with boars, maybe that why people get badgers more as its good to go. But your C5 sounds like a dream now! It must have been a relief when it final broke in!

Good to know 👍🏼 Do you have any tips for breaking them in or is their a technique to help the process?

My boar break in process is just part of my daily shave.

There are "glycerine" pre-shave soaps like Glyce and Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cube soaps. My pre-shave soap is the time-tested Col Conk line-up. My pre-shave routine is to load up a boar, and lather/wash my face with it. I generally rinse off a couple times in this pre-shave step and just keep scrubbing my face until the soap is exhausted from the brush. Then I lather normally with the day's selected brush (maybe the same one) for the shave.

1 If it's a new boar, I'm breaking it in. I'm probably not producing anything resembling usable lather, but my shave lather comes later.

2 Face is thoroughly washed.

3 Stubble is well hydrated and my skin is slick. I have approximated the classic advice of letting the lather soak in for three minutes without just standing there with a face full of soap.

If I'm in a hurry I can skip the whole pre-shave, but doesn't have to take long and produces a great result for me. And I definitely know when a new boar is ready to make shave lather without any special fussing around.

If a boar is especially funky, I will certainly palm or bowl lather/rinse it a few times to get that out of the way. In extreme cases I might even let the lather dry in it before I rinse it. No Semogue boar has ever been that funky for me!

Last edited:
The SOC Mistura knot is more compact
than the SOC boar knot and is good for face lathering or bowl lathering.

Shame they don't do a 20-22mm boar in the SOC, they'd have a good customer with you!

This is an outstanding quality enabler thread for the Semogue mistura knot. The DecemBoar thread didn't help my restraint either. I have bought and set mistura knots. I have an Omega mixed midget. I even have a Klenzo vintage "badger and bristle" knot. But do I have the fabled Semogue SOC mistura?

I will have one if I spend any more time on this thread, waiting and wondering about Alpine Shaver's take on his Semogue exploration.

My boar break in process is just part of my daily shave.

There are "glycerine" pre-shave soaps like Glyce and Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cube soaps. My pre-shave soap is the time-tested Col Conk line-up. My pre-shave routine is to load up a boar, and lather/wash my face with it. I generally rinse off a couple times in this pre-shave step and just keep scrubbing my face until the soap is exhausted from the brush. Then I lather normally with the day's selected brush (maybe the same one) for the shave.

1 If it's a new boar, I'm breaking it in. I'm probably not producing anything resembling usable lather, but my shave lather comes later.

2 Face is thoroughly washed.

3 Stubble is well hydrated and my skin is slick. I have approximated the classic advice of letting the lather soak in for three minutes without just standing there with a face full of soap.

If I'm in a hurry I can skip the whole pre-shave, but doesn't have to take long and produces a great result for me. And I definitely know when a new boar is ready to make shave lather without any special fussing around.

If a boar is especially funky, I will certainly palm or bowl lather/rinse it a few times to get that out of the way. In extreme cases I might even let the lather dry in it before I rinse it. No Semogue boar has ever been that funky for me!
It was interesting to read about your shave routine, it’s fascinating how everyone’s methods are varied. I actually think cleaning/ prepping your face with the brush before the shave is a great idea! Generally I use a face scrub (Bulldog facial scrub) followed by the face wash in the shower before a shave to cleanse & soften the whiskers, but your boar brush facial scrub is brilliant 👍🏼 Killing two birds with one stone there, breaking it in and cleaning your face.

Regarding your first point, I was going to say I’d imagine the lather yield would be considerably less when the knot is not broken in. It must be harder to build a lather at first too considering the stiffness of the bristles.

Thank you for the detailed response I found that very insightful and interesting.

This is an outstanding quality enabler thread for the Semogue mistura knot. The DecemBoar thread didn't help my restraint either. I have bought and set mistura knots. I have an Omega mixed midget. I even have a Klenzo vintage "badger and bristle" knot. But do I have the fabled Semogue SOC mistura?

I will have one if I spend any more time on this thread, waiting and wondering about Alpine Shaver's take on his Semogue exploration.
Yes this has been a good discussion, I’m very thankful to you & everyone else who has joined in. Oh I missed that thread I thin it would have made me buy one earlier had i of read it too 😆.

I think there is a Semogue SOC mistura with your name on it waiting to be taken home! Join the club (pun intended) haha.

Rest assured I will report back to this thread with my first impressions, photos and a review upon receiving the two brushes. I placed the order yesterday so hopefully they’ll arrive within a week or two. But I’ll keep you all updated for sure, exciting times ahead! I’ve got a few other goodies arriving soon too to test out.

I know very little about the mistura knot. This thread has me interested in buying one. which one would you recommend? I want to use it for face-lathering since I am happy using my boar & synthetic knots for bowl-lathering.
How does the mistura knot compare to a boar? (sorry for kind of hijacking the thread.)

Congrats, I predict you’ll enjoy it a great deal. Give it 10 lathers before you decide, by then it will be well on its way breaking in & you will begin feeling the softness of the tips.

Late to the discussion, but I'd go Mistura if your budget allows. I have a couple of Semogue boars and love them, but they definitely don't have the softness or hold lather as compared with my Semogue badger. Really, a mix of the two would be perfect.

I know very little about the mistura knot. This thread has me interested in buying one. which one would you recommend? I want to use it for face-lathering since I am happy using my boar & synthetic knots for bowl-lathering.
How does the mistura knot compare to a boar? (sorry for kind of hijacking the thread.)
Welcome to the thread! No need to be sorry, anyone is welcome here 😃. Everyone has been super helpful to me with my original question, unfortunately I can't offer any advice yet lol but I'm sure the others will be very happy to help :) Hopefully this thread will be of some use to you.

Top Bottom