What's new

Please Help!! - Semogue Mistura or Boar???

You say you wanted to buy a boar brush (never having used a boar before), and now you are considering whether you should buy a boar or a boar+badger mix? I don't get it. 🤷‍♂️ Just buy a boar.

You are entitled to try whatever you want. As a boar guy, I say try a boar. I four Semogue, 1250, 1470, SOC ash, SOC cherry. They are all good boars, but the SOC knots are too wide for my taste. If I ever see a 20-22mm SOC boar, I'm buying it.

I have several mistura knots, but none from Semogue. People rave about the Semogue mistura. My inner enabler advises you to get the Torga in mistura and get an inexpensive Omega 10065 or 10066 as an introduction to boar. You can HAVE IT ALL.

Good to know 👍🏼 Do you have any tips for breaking them in or is their a technique to help the process?
There are a lot of threads with putting the brush in water/the refrigerator/drying it on a towel etc. I just do one palm lather and then let it dry. If there is some boar funk I might repeat it. Other than that I just use the brush and let it rest to completely dry it out and this will split the tips. How much and how fast is different from knot to knot.

6 months usage vs. 18 months

59E1D1C0-3421-4F2C-9DF7-D00F4960C648.jpeg

Asking here is trouble!

:a29:

But my two cents says to try both. The Mistura is delightlful. It has moderate backbone & scrub but with wonderfully soft tips (after 5 or so uses to break in). But a straight boar knot is simply a marvelous shaving tool. After using 10 times to break in the boar has a softness you wouldn't think possible while scrubbing around on your face spreading the lather.

If you were to ask me, I like larger knots, I suggest getting the C5 in boar & Mistura. Or if your budget allows & you like a little higher loft, get the SOC Mistura & the SOC boar. And the last idea, get the Mistura but in the Omega brand by purchasing the much less expensive Omega Mixed Midget. It may be small, but it is a marvelous performer worth much more than its selling price.

Here's the Semogue Torga C5 boar
IMG_1925.jpg

And the Omega Mixed Midget
IMG_1851.jpg

I‘m sure you will love both but the Mistura knot is amazing IMO. More badger like than boar. Great backbone with some scrub but the tips feel a bit like a Silvertip badger.

I have lots of top badger brushes, but the quality of the SOC Mistura really surprised me.

You was lucky indeed, it's gorgeous! Yes I can imagine 24mm is pushing it for face lathering, luckily I tend to bowl lather so thats ok. Does that finest knot have good back bone or does it get a bit floppy as some can?
I think you've already made your order by now, but I would say that you probably don't need to worry a ton about the size of the 24mm knot. The mistura knot doesn't splay as much as other brushes (including some Semogue boar knots), so you're not going to be ending up with a huge mop on your face.

If you like a bit smaller brushes, then the C3 will be good. Downside of the C3 is a somewhat stubby handle for bowl lathering. So, both the C3/C5 and the SOC is the correct answer.

😁

Personally, I think the SOC boar is just a little too large for face lathering, so the magic combination is SOC Mistura plus C5 Boar. The C5 boar knot is like the SOC boar knot, but smaller with shorter loft. The SOC Mistura knot is more compact
than the SOC boar knot and is good for face lathering or bowl lathering.

You are entitled to try whatever you want. As a boar guy, I say try a boar. I four Semogue, 1250, 1470, SOC ash, SOC cherry. They are all good boars, but the SOC knots are too wide for my taste. If I ever see a 20-22mm SOC boar, I'm buying it.

I have several mistura knots, but none from Semogue. People rave about the Semogue mistura. My inner enabler advises you to get the Torga in mistura and get an inexpensive Omega 10065 or 10066 as an introduction to boar. You can HAVE IT ALL.
Thank you :thumbup1: exactly we're all entitled to try what ever we want, thats part of wet shaving. In this game it's so easy to suddenly spy another product then off on we go on that tangent haha. Shame they don't do a 20-22mm boar in the SOC, they'd have a good customer with you!
Appreciate your time & advice! In the end I purchased a Torga C3 boar, so I'll keep everyone updated with how I find it.

There are a lot of threads with putting the brush in water/the refrigerator/drying it on a towel etc. I just do one palm lather and then let it dry. If there is some boar funk I might repeat it. Other than that I just use the brush and let it rest to completely dry it out and this will split the tips. How much and how fast is different from knot to knot.

6 months usage vs. 18 months

View attachment 1388248
Wow there is a big difference in those knots after all those months 😮! It looks like the boar knots become something really special, as long as you are willing to give them time. It must be extremely satisfying reaching that fully bloomed stage and I imagine it feels completely different to a new knot.

Apologises to sound dumb, but when you say let it dry do you literally just ring out excess water and let it air dry? Or do you dry it off a bit first with a towel then leave to dry? Currently with my badgers I rinse the under warm water, flick out excess water and give them a good drying with a towel then hang them on a stand upside down near an open window or well ventilated room.

I too was a badger guy for years. Then I expanded to a mistura and some boars. I couldn't be happier I did so. I really love the mistura. But I really like the variety of all the types of brushes I have.
That's awesome to hear you got on so well with these knots, sounds like they really suit you and were bit of a game changer 🤠. Theres been some really positive comments about these mistura knots.

Asking here is trouble!

:a29:

But my two cents says to try both. The Mistura is delightlful. It has moderate backbone & scrub but with wonderfully soft tips (after 5 or so uses to break in). But a straight boar knot is simply a marvelous shaving tool. After using 10 times to break in the boar has a softness you wouldn't think possible while scrubbing around on your face spreading the lather.

If you were to ask me, I like larger knots, I suggest getting the C5 in boar & Mistura. Or if your budget allows & you like a little higher loft, get the SOC Mistura & the SOC boar. And the last idea, get the Mistura but in the Omega brand by purchasing the much less expensive Omega Mixed Midget. It may be small, but it is a marvelous performer worth much more than its selling price.

Here's the Semogue Torga C5 boar
View attachment 1388269

And the Omega Mixed Midget
View attachment 1388271
Appreciate the advice 👍. The mistura certainly sounds a delight, I'll look forward to using that in the SOC cherrywood I ordered. As for the Torga now I've seen a photo of your C5 boar, I'm kind of regretting having purchased the smaller C3 boar haha. Out of curiosity how long did it take to get your C5 boar to bloom as in the photo?

The Omega sounds a fantastic tool, however I prefer the aesthetics of the Semogues, I know it should be more about how it works but I take aesthetics greatly into consideration too lol. Even though the majority of people and YouTube videos tend to say smaller handle are better for face lathering opposed to bowl, I actually find the small handles great for a bowl lather. I have a Kent H4 badger, it has a tiny handle but boy that works great in the bowl.

By the way what razor is that, it looks nice!

I‘m sure you will love both but the Mistura knot is amazing IMO. More badger like than boar. Great backbone with some scrub but the tips feel a bit like a Silvertip badger.

I have lots of top badger brushes, but the quality of the SOC Mistura really surprised me.
Very happy to hear another good comment about the mistura :) They certainly sound quality!

I think you've already made your order by now, but I would say that you probably don't need to worry a ton about the size of the 24mm knot. The mistura knot doesn't splay as much as other brushes (including some Semogue boar knots), so you're not going to be ending up with a huge mop on your face.
Glad to hear it doesn't splay much, I really don't like knots that fan out huge on the face. How dense are these mistura knots?

If you like a bit smaller brushes, then the C3 will be good. Downside of the C3 is a somewhat stubby handle for bowl lathering. So, both the C3/C5 and the SOC is the correct answer.

😁

Personally, I think the SOC boar is just a little too large for face lathering, so the magic combination is SOC Mistura plus C5 Boar. The C5 boar knot is like the SOC boar knot, but smaller with shorter loft. The SOC Mistura knot is more compact
than the SOC boar knot and is good for face lathering or bowl lathering.
I've followed your recommendations almost to a tee haha, aside from going for the C3 boar over the C5, however now I'm not sure if I should've got the C5 instead haha. There's just toooooo many choices! :wacko:

Wow there is a big difference in those knots after all those months 😮! It looks like the boar knots become something really special, as long as you are willing to give them time. It must be extremely satisfying reaching that fully bloomed stage and I imagine it feels completely different to a new knot.

Apologises to sound dumb, but when you say let it dry do you literally just ring out excess water and let it air dry? Or do you dry it off a bit first with a towel then leave to dry? Currently with my badgers I rinse the under warm water, flick out excess water and give them a good drying with a towel then hang them on a stand upside down near an open window or well ventilated room.
A slight squeeze and a shake to get the water out. Then I stand them upright due to my shelf setup but I don’t think it makes a difference. Let it rest for a full day and use it again the day after.

Top Bottom