What's new

Please Help!! - Semogue Mistura or Boar???

Hello Gents & happy new year to you all!
I'm in need of some help, I am in the market to purchase a boar brush (never having used a boar before) and the Semogue Torga C3 boar took my fancy. However upon research I found Semogue offer this brush with a 22mm & 24mm mistura knot. I've read some excellent things about the mistura knots and it sounds very appealing. My question is if you could only pick one knot which would it be and why? The C3 boar or C3/5 mistura?
I have always been a badger brush user with the majority or brushes being between 21mm - 24mm range, save for my V11 Fanchurian 26mm. I want a knot that has good backbone and won't just flop around easily when bowl lathering. I understand boars have good backbone and are great once broken in. Would a mistura have enough back bone and if so would there be a huge performance difference between the 22mm & 24mm knot, this is also what I can decide on haha. Part of me thinks I should just get the boar, to experience a full boar knot but this mistura sounds so appealing.
I'm really struggling to choose and would greatly appreciated your advice & opinions. Thanks gents and happy shaving.

The Mistura is the most interesting knot from Semogue so I would go for it.
I went with the SOC handle and have them in Boar, Finest and Mistura. If I could keep only one it would be the Mistura in Butterscotch.

8432FAA6-63F8-4A86-91F1-E2B72C2B0BAB.jpeg

I've read some excellent things about the mistura knots and it sounds very appealing. My question is if you could only pick one knot which would it be and why? The C3 boar or C3/5 mistura?
My choice is the Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/50:
SOTD-L-K_2021-07-01.jpg

The pic above is post-shave, so the brush is still a little damp.

A wonderful brush. Excellent backbone, soft tips, and brilliant flow-through (a lather monster) straight out of the box (and it only gets better).

I would have preferred a smaller knot but 22mm is the smallest mistura knot from Semogue. I don't believe that Semogue's Mistura knot sizes make any difference to their magical performance.

My choice is the Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/50:
View attachment 1387971
The pic above is post-shave, so the brush is still a little damp.

A wonderful brush. Excellent backbone, soft tips, and brilliant flow-through (a lather monster) straight out of the box (and it only gets better).

I would have preferred a smaller knot but 22mm is the smallest mistura knot from Semogue. I don't believe that Semogue's Mistura knot sizes make any difference to their magical performance.
Thank you for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated! It is nice to see the photo too it certainly is a beautiful brush. I'm happy to hear how well it performs too, I like a brush with good backbone. Did you soak it or need to break it in or did you literally just take it out the box & go for it? Also regarding the texture, does it feel more like a badger on the face opposed to a boar? I've not used a boar so it's hard to know but I imagine a boar feels much more scratchy.

I went with the SOC handle and have them in Boar, Finest and Mistura. If I could keep only one it would be the Mistura in Butterscotch.

View attachment 1387968
Beautiful photo, it's great to see the lineup and thank you for giving great feedback! Those SOC's look beautiful, now I'm not sure if I should get one of those instead 😅. I guess the mistura knot in these is the same as in the Torga, albeit the knot is a 24mm for the SOC's? Is that wood one the cherrywood handle? It's got a beautiful colour to it. I like the butterscotch colour but the wood is nice, it reminds me of a brush my grandfather used to have, very nostalgic.

Not Cal, but I would describe the Mistura as scrubby. You don’t feel single hairs poking you, the whole brush surface is massaging your face. The backbone is excellent and has presence, the tips will get softer from use to use.
Thank you for the info, it sounds a delight to use!

Beautiful photo, it's great to see the lineup and thank you for giving great feedback! Those SOC's look beautiful, now I'm not sure if I should get one of those instead 😅. I guess the mistura knot in these is the same as in the Torga, albeit the knot is a 24mm for the SOC's? Is that wood one the cherrywood handle? It's got a beautiful colour to it. I like the butterscotch colour but the wood is nice, it reminds me of a brush my grandfather used to have, very nostalgic.
Thank you, the cherrywood one is a Finest and I was lucky that @macintoshBR parted with it.

I find the 24mm on the upper limit for face lathering yet with the longer handle than the Torga you can also use it very well in a bowl.

View attachment 1387968
I also read there is a substantial weight difference between the wooden and resin handle, do you notice a difference or find it makes one better or worse?

Thank you, the cherrywood one is a Finest and I was lucky that @macintoshBR parted with it.

I find the 24mm on the upper limit for face lathering yet with the longer handle than the Torga you can also use it very well in a bowl.
You was lucky indeed, it's gorgeous! Yes I can imagine 24mm is pushing it for face lathering, luckily I tend to bowl lather so thats ok. Does that finest knot have good back bone or does it get a bit floppy as some can?

You was lucky indeed, it's gorgeous! Yes I can imagine 24mm is pushing it for face lathering, luckily I tend to bowl lather so thats ok. Does that finest knot have good back bone or does it get a bit floppy as some can?
It has more backbone than a Silvertip being a 2 Band but it is naturally the softest of the 3. It is far from floppy though and has excellent flow-through.

It has more backbone than a Silvertip being a 2 Band but it is naturally the softest of the 3. It is far from floppy though and has excellent flow-through.
Yes I thought it'd be softer than the others, still it looks very nice. Good to hear it flows well, my V11 Fanchurian is a lovely feeling knot but it hog lather like nothing on earth.

Hello Gents & happy new year to you all!
I'm in need of some help, I am in the market to purchase a boar brush (never having used a boar before) and the Semogue Torga C3 boar took my fancy. However upon research I found Semogue offer this brush with a 22mm & 24mm mistura knot. I've read some excellent things about the mistura knots and it sounds very appealing. My question is if you could only pick one knot which would it be and why? The C3 boar or C3/5 mistura?
I have always been a badger brush user with the majority or brushes being between 21mm - 24mm range, save for my V11 Fanchurian 26mm. I want a knot that has good backbone and won't just flop around easily when bowl lathering. I understand boars have good backbone and are great once broken in. Would a mistura have enough back bone and if so would there be a huge performance difference between the 22mm & 24mm knot, this is also what I can decide on haha. Part of me thinks I should just get the boar, to experience a full boar knot but this mistura sounds so appealing.
I'm really struggling to choose and would greatly appreciated your advice & opinions. Thanks gents and happy shaving.
You say you wanted to buy a boar brush (never having used a boar before), and now you are considering whether you should buy a boar or a boar+badger mix? I don't get it. 🤷‍♂️ Just buy a boar.

You say you wanted to buy a boar brush (never having used a boar before), and now you are considering whether you should buy a boar or a boar+badger mix? I don't get it. 🤷‍♂️ Just buy a boar.
Well we are all entitled to research and like new things. I was interested in the mixed knot and boar as they are both new to me. In the end I have pulled the trigger on the Torga C3 boar & SOC mistura with cherrywood handle.

I think you will be very pleased with the mistura. It is a great brush out of the box and it only gets better. Boar takes a bit of getting used to and requires breaking in. Do try a boar later on - they aren‘t expensive - but I think you made the right decision to get the mistura first.

I think you will be very pleased with the mistura. It is a great brush out of the box and it only gets better. Boar takes a bit of getting used to and requires breaking in. Do try a boar later on - they aren‘t expensive - but I think you made the right decision to get the mistura first.
Thank you 😊 I think I’ll enjoy the mistura too. Well I have ordered both the SOC mistura & the Torga C3 boar, so I’ll also be able to see how I get on with the boar. In fact the Torga C3 was only £13.00! A real bargain 👍🏼 So if in the end I’m not keen on the boar knot I can always get a C5 mistura. Of course I’ll be sure to give it plenty of time to break in I’m actually really looking forward to breaking it in and seeing it get better with time. I think it’ll be time well spent and it must be very satisfying when a boar knot is finally broken in. I’ll keep you all posted & I'm very grateful for everyone’s kind advice here too 😊

Top Bottom