What's new

Please help me...

I have some questions regarding some common wet shaving items.

First, what is an Alum block? I went to Nordstrom’s and they have an "Art of Shaving" Alum block. It looked cool but was $15. Is it necessary? Does it alleviate razor burn?
proxy.php

Second. What is CLUBMAN Shave Talc? What exactly does it do? When, in the shaving process do you use it? After applying a balm, before?
proxy.php

Third, what is a hair tonic? Is it hairspray? Is this how you get that "slick look" that is reminiscent of the 1950's?
proxy.php

:confused:

Not sure about the others but an alum block is for using after you've shaved. It closes the pores, tightens the skin, stops razor burn a bit, and stops small nicks from bleeding. After you've shaved and rinsed your face with cold water, you just wet the alum block and gently rub it all over your face.

I wouldn't be without mine, though it stings a bit if I've gone too close with the razor. :eek: :lol:

mpisarcik said:
I have some questions regarding some common wet shaving items.
Sure

First, what is an Alum block? I went to Nordstrom’s and they have an "Art of Shaving" Alum block. It looked cool but was $15. Is it necessary? Does it alleviate razor burn?
It is an astringent - helps close the pores and reduce razor burn. Some people swear by them and others eschew them. I am in the latter camp. Any good aftershave prep will work as well.

Second. What is CLUBMAN Shave Talc? What exactly does it do? When, in the shaving process do you use it? After applying a balm, before?
You can use this on your face after shaving. It is soothing, keeps things matte, and has a faint scent. Not many people use this on their faces nowadays. More people use it on their necks after a haircut or to reduce irritation from labels, etc.

Third, what is a hair tonic? Is it hairspray? Is this how you get that "slick look" that is reminiscent of the 1950's?
Hair tonics are used for a bit of hold (varies by product), a bit of scent, and in theory some goodies for your hair and scalp. I would venture not many people use these anymore, preferring various gels, pomades, etc.

I can only comment on the Alum Block as it's the only product youhave listed that I have used. If I don't use an alum block I don't feel like I've had a complete shave. I think they're cheap enough to try to find out hoe YOU feel about them, it's all very subjective.

I also find the finish with the alum block (after cold-water rinse, before aftershave) to be an essential part of my shave. I like the Classic alum block---it comes with a plastic carrying case, so it's easy to take along on trips. If I really get a nick, though, I use My Nik Is Sealed---the alum block doesn't quite do the job for me.

Ah clubman shave talc. Classic after hair cut stuff. My mom used it on our necks as a kid after every haircut. Shaved smooth necks.

Top Bottom