What's new

Please help me with my goal for the coming year

Tomorrow is my Anniversary. I was writing out my wife's cards (she always gets two. One funny, one sort of serious) and I was reminded about how nasty my hand writing is.

we have been married for 16 years, together for 20. This upcoming year I will better my hand writing. When she gets next year's cards they will have pretty lettering not this year's chicken scratch. I need a good comfortable pen, the right nib and a notebook to practice in.

I need a pen that is not a feather weight, not a monster and well balanced. I like my Lamy Safari but it is far too light.

I need a suggestion on a good nib but I know nothing about nibs outside of M,F, and XF.

A small notebook with good paper. I have Moleskine notebooks but they are not fountain pen friendly.

Can this be done for a budget of 70 dollars?

PS. I got a paper cut on my lip, while licking one of the envelopes. OW!

A TWSBI 580 with a 1.1 mm Italic nib, a Rhodia notebook and a bottle of ink should get you in right around $70.

I really like my Sheafer pens. I have a prelude and an intensity, in medium and find nibs respectively. They're not the fanciest pens but they have a solid feel to them as they're metal barreled pens and they write very well for me. The fine nib in the intensity even has a nice bit of spring to it

The TWSBI 580 seems to be the best bet if you're trying to keep the cost under $70.00. It's a really good pen and will likely have the characteristics you're looking for. The best part is you can change the nib out for a fairly low cost if the size you choose isn't working for you.

What about a Pilot Metro? I've found these to be really nice intro fountain pens. They're inexpensive, have a little bit of substance, and write nicely. Also, if you're "chicken scratch" handwriting is anything like mine (tiny and cramped), you might want to consider a fine nib with an ink that flows nicely.. Maybe something from Diamine.

You like a Lamy Safari but its too light? Try a Lamy Al-Star.

+2 I was thinking the same thing since you like the Safari.

Admirable goals, and best of luck. Keep us updated on what you decide and how the handwriting improvement goes.

In regards to notebooks, you might consider some Clairefontaine French Ruled that contain both horizontal and vertical lines. These help in properly forming characters the same size when you are practicing. I wouldn't use them for daily note taking, but I think they are great for handwriting practice.

What about a Pilot Metro? I've found these to be really nice intro fountain pens. They're inexpensive, have a little bit of substance, and write nicely. Also, if you're "chicken scratch" handwriting is anything like mine (tiny and cramped), you might want to consider a fine nib with an ink that flows nicely.. Maybe something from Diamine.

I was thinking the Metro also. I love the F Nib on the metro ($15), but I also switched the nib on one to an italic from the Plumix ($8), and I am really happy with the way that came out. At that price you still have plenty of room in your budget for paper and ink.

If you look around you can find a Lamy Studio with a steel nib for around $60 shipped. The Studio is a nice solid pen with some heft. That would leave you a little extra for a nice Rhodia notepad (those are the ones I like).

I just got a TWSBI Eco with a 1.1mm stub. It's just under $30 and writes as well as my 580. It's an affordable piston filler with a nice writing nib. It's a nice intro to something more pricey like the 580 or Vac 700. You could easily pick up that with a nice bottle of ink and a Rhodia notebook or two and come in under $50. The pen holds a good amount of ink and the demonstrator style is cool.

I was looking at the pilot metropolitan and it does not come with an italic nib. Is there a way to get one and switch it out?

I was looking at the pilot metropolitan and it does not come with an italic nib. Is there a way to get one and switch it out?

Pilot doesn't sell individual nibs, but the Metro is interchangeable with several other pens. You can get a Plumix for $7 or $8 and it has an italic nib that works well in it and switch them. I did this with a Metro F Nib that I damaged.

I am sure there are discussions somewhere on the forum of all the interchangeable nibs between the pilot pens, but if you are looking for something in a M stub, the Plumix is what your are looking for.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
A small notebook with good paper. I have Moleskine notebooks but they are not fountain pen friendly.

I have found that this Steno is the best .

It's the Signature series.

It's National Brand.

Dennison National Company, Holyoke, Ma. 01041

Made in U. S. A.

Top Bottom