What's new

Please help me with my goal for the coming year

Corey, How does the ECO feel? Does it have a little heft or is it a complete feather weight?
It's not as heavy as the 580, nor as light as the Lamy Safari. In terms of length, it's nearly the same size as the Safari, with a slightly thicker diameter. The plastic on the Eco doesn't feel as cheap as the Safari, but it doesn't feel as solid as the 580. It's very much an inbetween kind of pen when compared against the Twsbi 580 and Lamy Safari. The ink capacity is much better in the Eco than the Lamy. I think that definitely helps to give it a heavier feel and a little better balance. I write with almost all of my pens unposted, and the lengths on the Eco (and Safari and 580) make it very easy to use unposted. The balance is nice as well. It's definitely a very nice pen for the money, especially as a piston filler and a pen with a stub option. If you can spare the extra $25-ish bucks to step up to a 580, I'd probably recommend that pen, just because it feels like a more solid pen with a little more weight to it, and it looks visually more appealing to me. But, if you're on a budget and comparing it against the Lamy Safari, the little bit of extra weight and a slightly more solid feel would swing me towards the Eco. That, and I'm not a Lamy grip person. It fights my fingers.

Pilot doesn't sell individual nibs, but the Metro is interchangeable with several other pens. You can get a Plumix for $7 or $8 and it has an italic nib that works well in it and switch them. I did this with a Metro F Nib that I damaged.

I am sure there are discussions somewhere on the forum of all the interchangeable nibs between the pilot pens, but if you are looking for something in a M stub, the Plumix is what your are looking for.

Did you switch out the nib with a medium italic or a fine italic?

In regards to notebooks, you might consider some Clairefontaine French Ruled that contain both horizontal and vertical lines. These help in properly forming characters the same size when you are practicing. I wouldn't use them for daily note taking, but I think they are great for handwriting practice.

I've not tried their notepads, mostly because local retailers in Oz ask silly money for anything Clairefontaine. I bought a pile of A4 pads quite cheap a year ago when Oz's major big box stationary chain Officeworks discontinued the line, and the paper is lovely to use with any "wet" ink pen. Highly recommended if you can get it for reasonable money.

If you look around you can find a Lamy Studio with a steel nib for around $60 shipped. The Studio is a nice solid pen with some heft. That would leave you a little extra for a nice Rhodia notepad (those are the ones I like).

I didn't think of the Studio because I expect them to start around $80, but at that price it would be an excellent choice. I'd suggest trying one in the hand to see how you go with the chromed section - many people have trouble gripping it for long periods. The Studio is big, solid, heavy pen with a classic minimalist German design.

I was wondering. Since I am trying to improve my hand writing over all if I should stick with a standard fine nib and stay away from the italics. What do you think?

I also saw a nifty gadget that you can put beneath a blank sheet that has lines. that way when you remove it your writing is neat and clean on a blank sheet. Does anyone recommend these and is there a French rule one out there some where? I don't even know what they are called

I was wondering. Since I am trying to improve my hand writing over all if I should stick with a standard fine nib and stay away from the italics. What do you think?

If you are going to be printing, then I think an italic nib might help. At least, I think it makes my italic printing look better. If you are going to be writing in cursive, and write small, a fine nib might be better.

If you consider a pen like a Lamy Safari, Lamy AL-Star, TWSBI, etc., you can get interchangeable nibs for fairly cheap that would let you swap different size nibs to see what you like.

I also saw a nifty gadget that you can put beneath a blank sheet that has lines. that way when you remove it your writing is neat and clean on a blank sheet. Does anyone recommend these and is there a French rule one out there some where? I don't even know what they are called

I haven't seen a guide like that for french-ruled paper.

You can make your own 'line guide' by putting thin stationery paper on top of a lined notebook page.

EDIT: See this post for a pic showing how mikeschu is doing what I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Just bought a Lamy Studio for 52 dollars after shipping off ebay. Supposedly new. I think that is a decent deal. Decided to Make a fake Midori Traveler from plans I saw on Youtube. I'll print out a french rule template I found on line and make my own inserts. Well on my way. :001_smile

Top Bottom