What's new

Please help me: the choice of 34C or R89? Which option is good?

You really cant go wrong with either one. I think they are very very similar to each other - almost identical. BOTH are truly benchmark razors that are excellent choices. The balance of the handle is a little different but honestly as a beginner I dont think you would be disappointed with either. Personally I have been unimpressed with quality control from Merkur, though I know many others have not had this experience. The fit and finish on the R89/DE89 is crazy good. Just a beautiful razor, and my preference between the two you are considering. For your own reference, the R89 is pretty much the same as an Edwin Jagger DE89 (same head, different handle).

As to handle length, I personally prefer a shorter handle. I find it much easier to use. I end up holding my razor with my pinky just under the end of the handle. Everyone is different though. Just get one and try it. Neither of these razors will be a bad choice.

You mentioned being able to get feather blades. Put into a quality mild razor like the 34C or R89, they are the best around in my opinion. If you are shaving every 5 days or so, you may find Derbys to be too mild. As always with blades, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
In fact, I have been collecting information, good or bad. The bad side is of course various head fractures, and I found that no matter what the type, the fracture location is always at the top of the screw. The 34C uses a combination (may be welded) R89 top cover is formed in one piece, but the number of fracture returns of R89 is worrying, and the internal material seems to be different from 34C. However, it seems that more people tend to R89... I like the handle of DE89 very much, but I know that if I buy it, it will be dangerous to my operation, even though the handle is really beautiful

Get both! ;) I have a 34G (Gold Plated) and two Muhle razors with the R89 head plus one EJ DE89.The 34C is slightly more efficient. But... I love all three and they all are in my rotation.

Either the 34C or one of the DE89 series would be a great razor to start, or to stick with! These are both in the ‘mild-to-moderate’ range and deliver very fine shaves for many of us!

The only way to determine your personal preference is to actually try the razors.

In fact, I have been collecting information, good or bad. The bad side is of course various head fractures, and I found that no matter what the type, the fracture location is always at the top of the screw. The 34C uses a combination (may be welded) R89 top cover is formed in one piece, but the number of fracture returns of R89 is worrying, and the internal material seems to be different from 34C. However, it seems that more people tend to R89... I like the handle of DE89 very much, but I know that if I buy it, it will be dangerous to my operation, even though the handle is really beautiful
This problem with the top cap has been fixed in the recent versions of the R89. The screw post is now a separate piece made of brass that is then joined with the cap.

I think either razor would work well for you, they shave quite similarly. The Merkur feels like a nice quality tool, the Muhle is like a piece of jewelry. If you like a longer handle, you might like the Merkur 23C. It is a three-piece razor that shaves about the same as the 34C.

I wouldnt worry too much about the post breaking off. Yes it happens. But dont drop your razor and it won't break. Both razors are a mostly zamak head, so both are prone to breaking if you drop them. I have had a DE89 for a couple of years now and have had no issues. I believe Muhle has changed the cap design somewhat recently to help with this issue.

If you're really concerned about it, there are many excellent stainless razors out there, including a stainless DE89 clone by Occams. I haven't seen one in person, but it sounds like it's a winner.

I also suggest not being overly concerned about the grip of the R89 handle. If it slips out of your hand you know you were doing something odd. Again, both the R89 and the 34c are tried and true choices. Just get the one that appeals to you most. And dont drop it. Enjoy your choice whatever it ends up being!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I can’t speak to the R89, but I have 34 and 38C and find they are excellent razors for my requirements. I do like the feel of the 38C, lager handle more weight but the heads are the same I believe. A forgiving razor that provides a close and comfortable shave with no irritation. The razors I have would be considered medium to mild and paired with the right blade work really well. The Gillette Silver Blue has been a comfortable and efficient blade also.

They are both good. I have them both. I prefer the Merkur 34C HD as a shaver. I got better shaves from it than I did from the DE89. But that's just me.

I can’t speak to the R89, but I have 34 and 38C and find they are excellent razors for my requirements. I do like the feel of the 38C, lager handle more weight but the heads are the same I believe. A forgiving razor that provides a close and comfortable shave with no irritation. The razors I have would be considered medium to mild and paired with the right blade work really well. The Gillette Silver Blue has been a comfortable and efficient blade also.
Yes, because unlike ordinary commercial razors, traditional razors hardly put pressure on the knife, everything depends on the handle. The long handle can spread the weight and maintain the falling force, but if the short handle can also do this, more weight must be added, but the result should be the same

They are both good. I have them both. I prefer the Merkur 34C HD as a shaver. I got better shaves from it than I did from the DE89. But that's just me.

Thank you for your information, I will use it as a reference for purchase. Of course, you have to describe the hardness of everyone's beard... It seems that there is no standard. If there is also a quantitative table, it may help many people. I only remember that when I tried to buy an electric razor in the early years, I had almost no obstacles, because the beard has enough hardness, even the most basic safe reciprocating cutter head can be used easily.

This problem with the top cap has been fixed in the recent versions of the R89. The screw post is now a separate piece made of brass that is then joined with the cap.

I think either razor would work well for you, they shave quite similarly. The Merkur feels like a nice quality tool, the Muhle is like a piece of jewelry. If you like a longer handle, you might like the Merkur 23C. It is a three-piece razor that shaves about the same as the 34C.

Yes, our trading businessmen also respect 23C, but if his handle is thicker, I might consider... But the price of 23C here is the same as R89 (or even higher), which is confusing

Get both! ;) I have a 34G (Gold Plated) and two Muhle razors with the R89 head plus one EJ DE89.The 34C is slightly more efficient. But... I love all three and they all are in my rotation.

Wow! Shiny gold:001_rolleGreat color! .
If they introduced rose gold, would you like it?

To me, the primary shaving differences between these two razors will be the handles. The heads will shave very similarly to each other.

I personally prefer short, light handles. The 34C handle is shorter and heavier. The R89 handle is longer and lighter.

I have experienced both handles (on a 37C and an R41). Of the two, I would choose the Merkur, for the grip and the shorter length. I find that it is easier to adjust the shaving angle with a shorter handle.

I am sure you will have a good experience with either of these razors. If you shave every three days or so, I would also suggest that an open comb (OC) razor is a good choice - but not the R41. Of these two, the heavier 34C would also be a better choice for less frequent shaving than the R89, in my opinion.

In the past two days, I have been busy modifying vehicles with my friends... And when talking in the evening, he accidentally saw the shaving brush on my counter... After a conversation, he was recommended by me, and now he also has the first OMEGA and a bowl of PRORASO green!

我自己每天都在用EJ de89,它的做工非常棒而且价格比34c和r89便宜一点点。I use EJ de89 every day. It's made very well and slightly cheaper than 34C and R89

Top Bottom