What's new

Please help me name this tune!

Okay, all of you marching band enthusiasts. This is killing me. I once knew the name of this march, but I can't put my finger on it. I sketched out the first few bars here on NoteFlight (click on Play, then Play from Start to hear it); (the score is also attached below).

You can also hear it performed, as background music, in this BBC broadcast, starting at 20:47:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ddz8h

I wanted to say "Bombasto", but that's not it. Anyone recognize it? Help put me out of my misery. :scared:

Attachments

• $march.jpg
    $march.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 70
Thanks for listening. I'm guessing it's British, only because it's used in the BBC broadcast, but I don't really know. Wish there was a way to Google an audio clip.

"Imperial Echoes" written by Arnold Safroni in 1913 as a piano piece. Adapted as a march in 1928 by James Ord Hume, it was used as the theme tune for the BBC "Radio Newsreel" broadcasts from 1940 to 1970 on the BBC Home Service. "Radio Newsreel" continued on the BBC World Service until 1988. It is the regimental quick march of the Royal Army Pay Corps.

I hope this helps.

Listen to the radio theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nefzhgakAQM

BTW -- it might originally have been 4/4 time, but as a march it was 6/8 time. Here's a scan from the sheet music.$imperial echoes.jpg

"Imperial Echoes" written by Arnold Safroni in 1913 as a piano piece. Adapted as a march in 1928 by James Ord Hume, it was used as the theme tune for the BBC "Radio Newsreel" broadcasts from 1940 to 1970 on the BBC Home Service. "Radio Newsreel" continued on the BBC World Service until 1988. It is the regimental quick march of the Royal Army Pay Corps.

I hope this helps.

It helps immensely; I can sleep again. Thank you so much!

I now realize that I did not ever know the name of this piece; it was just very familiar.

(Tapping foot, waving hand.)

BTW -- it might originally have been 4/4 time, but as a march it was 6/8 time. Here's a scan from the sheet music.

I almost wrote those lead-in notes as a triplet. Now I know for sure. Thanks again! :thumbup:

Top Bottom