What's new

Please help me identify my new purchase. I believe it is a Gillette NEW SC

I just purchased what I believe to be a Gillette NEW SC from possibly 1932 to 1935. It needs some clean-up. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could confirm what I bought and what year it may be from. I'll post a post clean up picture after it arrives which should hopefully be before the end of the year. Thanks for helping
NEW 1.jpg
NEW 2.jpg
NEW 3.jpg

Yep, looks like a new short comb to me with a common bar handle.
Should clean up beautifully and provide you with many nice shaves.

Looks like mine!
I'm looking forward to this arriving I have a birth year C-1 Tech and a birth quarter C-4 Super Speed. Currently my NDC (probably 46 or 47 based on the patent information) Tech is my oldest razor.

I'm looking forward to this arriving I have a birth year C-1 Tech and a birth quarter C-4 Super Speed. Currently my NDC (probably 46 or 47 based on the patent information) Tech is my oldest razor.

C-4 is a great quarter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well I got the NEW SC and unfortunately the top of the handle was stripped and would not tighten on the head. I contacted the seller who was unaware and with the amount he refunded I bought on EBay another NEW with a bent tooth and the same bar handle for a net outlay of $4. It could have been a lot worse. In the meantime I had an old bakelite handle that I sometimes use on a travel Tech and attached it to the NEW. Aesthetically it doesn’t look great but I got a fantastic bbs shave using an Israeli Personna and Cella applied with my Duke 3. This NEW is a winner and can only get better with the proper handle.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well I got the NEW SC and unfortunately the top of the handle was stripped and would not tighten on the head. I contacted the seller who was unaware and with the amount he refunded I bought on EBay another NEW with a bent tooth and the same bar handle for a net outlay of $4. It could have been a lot worse. In the meantime I had an old bakelite handle that I sometimes use on a travel Tech and attached it to the NEW. Aesthetically it doesn’t look great but I got a fantastic bbs shave using an Israeli Personna and Cella applied with my Duke 3. This NEW is a winner and can only get better with the proper handle.
He sounds like a decent guy, that seller. Congrats!

According to Achim ( I love his site...it's like a reference set with all the pictures, lol ), that would be the 1930's NEW short comb with common bar handle, in its original case and called the Red and Black Set:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1934 Red and Black.JPG

They are an interesting razor, quite a bit like the slightly later fat handle Tech that came along in 1938. Nice little medium shaver, if I remember correctly. :001_cool:

Last edited:
DDF30646-7C11-49AA-A14C-B7C2C97BEDA5.jpeg
72B8871A-6012-429D-AEA5-75BB6C7D7205.jpeg
1DBD7505-70D7-466E-A5CC-4C87E840BF83.jpeg
The new handle arrived today and other than fitting perfectly looks exactly the same as the one that would not tighten properly. The razor cleaned up well and looks great for being approximately 85 years old.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What sets the NEW SC apart from most other Gillette razors is the design of the base plate. See the NEW SC and the NEW LC base plates below.

NEW SC left, NEW LC right. Notice how the SC base fully supports the blade nearly to its edge while the LC base doesnt. The NEW SC base has the Gillette logo centered on the base plate. The NEW LC base has the Gillette Logo offset from center.

IMG_1458.jpg IMG_1459.jpgIMG_1462.jpg

NEW SC bases have .023" gap. NEW LC blade gaps can vary .015" or more between razors. The NEW SC has been called a "Gillette OLD type with blade gap" because it has that .023" gap and the OLD type base has none, but also fully supports the blade.

The NEW SC was also sold with I believe one of seven different caps. The 'correct' SC cap will only fit the SC base because the base plate has grooves machined into each corner for the corner posts on the cap to fit into.

NEW SC cap left. NEW LC cap right and the razors. Notice the shape of the tabs on the corners of each cap and how they mate to their respective base plates.

IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1469.JPG IMG_1447.jpg

The SC cap offers the most blade exposure. The post war Tech cap offering I believe the least blade exposure. All caps will work fine and I wouldnt expect much difference in the shave between any.

The green oxidation remaining on the razor will come off fairly easily. Add some boiling water to a margarine tub or something deep enough to submerge the broken down razor into, add some dish soap and give it a stir to mix the soap and water, drop the razor in and let it sit until the water cools off. Scrub it with a toothbrush focusing on the crevices and between the teeth of the base plate and the knurling on the handle with some dish soap. Repeat the process until its as clean as you want it. Once its clean, it can be polished.

The NEW SC is a fantastic razor and in my opinion one of the best Gillette ever made. A light polishing, I use AutoSol, or any other kind of polishing compound and that razor will shine like new. Polishing compound on a toothbrush will work pretty well at polishing the crevices in the knurling on the handle as well as between the teeth of the comb.

The cap and handle are red brass, the base plate is yellow brass. If you start seeing black marks on the red brass, you can quickly polish them off. Red brass forms a patina much quicker than yellow brass and oxidizes black. To stop that from happening, just wipe the cap and handle dry after you use it. A quick scrub once a week or so with dish soap and an old toothbrush will keep it looking like new once its polished up.

Actually, I think they were all gold wash from the factory. Sadly, once the lacquer is gone, the gold wash dissapears quickly, and leaves the base metals exposed.

I plan to re-plate mine in nickel, I don't like the corrosion you get from bare brass, nor the smell (and yes, I can smell brass. Reeks).

Nice razors.

What sets the NEW SC apart from most other Gillette razors is the design of the base plate. See the NEW SC and the NEW LC base plates below.

NEW SC left, NEW LC right. Notice how the SC base fully supports the blade nearly to its edge while the LC base doesnt. The NEW SC base has the Gillette logo centered on the base plate. The NEW LC base has the Gillette Logo offset from center.

View attachment 849648 View attachment 849647View attachment 849657

NEW SC bases have .023" gap. NEW LC blade gaps can vary .015" or more between razors. The NEW SC has been called a "Gillette OLD type with blade gap" because it has that .023" gap and the OLD type base has none, but also fully supports the blade.

The NEW SC was also sold with I believe one of seven different caps. The 'correct' SC cap will only fit the SC base because the base plate has grooves machined into each corner for the corner posts on the cap to fit into.

NEW SC cap left. NEW LC cap right and the razors. Notice the shape of the tabs on the corners of each cap and how they mate to their respective base plates.

View attachment 849650 View attachment 849651 View attachment 849653

The SC cap offers the most blade exposure. The post war Tech cap offering I believe the least blade exposure. All caps will work fine and I wouldnt expect much difference in the shave between any.

The green oxidation remaining on the razor will come off fairly easily. Add some boiling water to a margarine tub or something deep enough to submerge the broken down razor into, add some dish soap and give it a stir to mix the soap and water, drop the razor in and let it sit until the water cools off. Scrub it with a toothbrush focusing on the crevices and between the teeth of the base plate and the knurling on the handle with some dish soap. Repeat the process until its as clean as you want it. Once its clean, it can be polished.

The NEW SC is a fantastic razor and in my opinion one of the best Gillette ever made. A light polishing, I use AutoSol, or any other kind of polishing compound and that razor will shine like new. Polishing compound on a toothbrush will work pretty well at polishing the crevices in the knurling on the handle as well as between the teeth of the comb.

The cap and handle are red brass, the base plate is yellow brass. If you start seeing black marks on the red brass, you can quickly polish them off. Red brass forms a patina much quicker than yellow brass and oxidizes black. To stop that from happening, just wipe the cap and handle dry after you use it. A quick scrub once a week or so with dish soap and an old toothbrush will keep it looking like new once its polished up.
Thank you for the great information.

Top Bottom