What's new

Please help me ID my straight razor

788E3381-5A4D-49E2-88AF-370AA58992AD.jpeg
D2FF30D2-9608-4917-8071-F6908FC2AA0B.jpeg
A0420AF1-FD17-419C-BD04-36A13FFAD624.jpeg
So long story short, my co worker gave me this straight razor the same day he gave my my Gillette Super Speed, he did tell me he scored it at a flea market, and that he also honed stoned and sharpened it. This is thing is sharp as hell! I’m really curious what brand it is, and what the time frame might be. This thing looks well used and kinda scary........almost sweeny todd-ish.

I’m going to start using this thing so any help is really appreciated.

That’s great stuff! Pretty awesome that I live just north of Milwaukee!

I wonder what year this thing is and what it’s valued at?

That’s great stuff! Pretty awesome that I live just north of Milwaukee!

I wonder what year this thing is and what it’s valued at?
Can't say definitively because you can find one from an estate sale for $5 and one from a razor seller for $50 that he's scrubbed on a bit, many times ruined.

thanks for the help I really appreciate it, I'm really looking forward to using this thing, although I have to admit, it's looks pretty haggard and dangerous, even though the blade is clean and sharp as hell.

My coworker told me today he was going to give me a strop as he has a few extra laying around, in return I'll have to get him some Proraso for Christmas.

That razor is a gateway drug.
It is well past its prime and its only value is pretty much to get you hooked on shaving like a man.

That razor is a gateway drug.
It is well past its prime and its only value is pretty much to get you hooked on shaving like a man.

It's the key to the darkside and a very big rabbit hole, but we do party and have women and beers down here. And your more than welcome to join us lost souls.:a5::badger::badger::badger::badger:

lol good stuff right there, however how come it's "past it's prime" help me understand that.
The geometry of the blade hint at a much wider one. It lost width due to repeated honing (as indicated by the distance between the spine and where the blade hollows out). It also likely lost width due to some ding repairs.
None of that changes the metal, so it should still shave well if honed properly.
Actually, the amount of use it receives indicates it must be great metal or it would have been thrown away a very long time ago.

thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate the help, my co worker put an edge on this thing that will cut you if you look at it wrong, as he is a daily straight razor shave guy. He has a few of them, and seeks out the old ones at antique shops and what not, then brings them back to life and gives them out, and or gives them a proper home.

I'm going to be buying a straight razor for myself for Christmas, I want an entry level one, I was looking at the Gold Dollar and the ZY brand, can anyone maybe help me out on that, I don't want to spend triple digits on a straight razor.

Top Bottom