What's new

Please help me decide which Martin de Candre (MdC) to get: Rose Vs. Vetyver

I use both regularly and prefer the vetiver. I get a strong benzoin undertone from my rose soap that is less noticeable in the vetiver. I would prefer the rose scent to be more robust and fresher, to my nose it smell like dried petals with a lot of benzoin. MdC rose perfoms great and I use it happily when paired with other rose products but I rank the vetiver much higher. Out of my soap collection, that is getting severely out of hand, MdC vetiver is certainly in my top 3 scent-wise. (together with SV Opuntia and Razorock SMDF)

You will enjoy whichever one you pick, just my 2 cents..
Thanks, I'm positive I will eventually 😀

Reactions: GNR

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’d do the rose also - and I have all the MdC soaps. The rose is the most natural smelling rose I’ve encountered.

The vetyver is nice, but it’s a spring/winter type scent to me. I‘m not much of a vetiver person, but I like MdC vetiver - it isn’t smoky, it’s a fresher, greener vetiver.

FYI, The original has been said to have some rosemary, or benzoin in it. I have a ‘brain bowl’ of the original and can tell you that the rosemary or benzoin ‘whang’ leaves the lavender soap in a few weeks or so if left uncovered. The original brain bowl went to a mild, ’nutty’ lavender that is really nice.

I’ll seek to reinforce your “buy decision.” I’ve got full tubs of all five scented MdC soaps, and Rose is my favorite. I don’t know of a similar “pure rose“ aftershave. All my rose aftershaves are mixed with other scents, e.g., Noble Otter’s Two Kings, which is rose and oud, with the oud winning the scent battle…

I use 4711 cologne as an aftershave splash, and it goes well with anything; fast diffusion time.

Soap Commander "Love" products are all rose scented, but a quick look shows in "Love" nothing for sale at all. Their stuff goes in and out of production. Their rose aftershave balm is good; hope to see the "Love" products back on the market.

Congrats on getting the MdC rose; you'll love it.

D. R. Harris "Pink" is an aftershave, sort of a second cousin to a true rose aroma. Very expensive; not very strong, so I never refilled it once I ran out.

I'm obviously a big fan of the original.

straightforward soft lavender that is wonderful. Lavender water and Thayers Lavender play along nicely with it.

20210712_054544.jpg

good stuff!!!!

camo

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Czech and Speake no.88

Normally a good option, but not now. The current 90g soaps have been removed from the C&S web store. They were mislabeled as Italian made soaps with the same formula as the old Valobra soaps. They were not, they were the new soap with the new ingredients that were listed on the web site, in the old boxes.

The travel size and the soap in the aluminum dish SHOULD be the old Valobra formula but it would be wise to ask first. The new formula does not lather, See the Czech and Speake 88 Redux thread.

Last edited:
Normally a good option, but not now. The current 90g soaps have been removed from the C&S web store. They were mislabeled as Italian made soaps with the same formula as the old Valobra soaps. They were not, they were the new soap with the new ingredients that were listed on the web site, in the old boxes.

The travel size and the soap in the aluminum dish SHOULD be the old Valobra formula but it would be wise to ask first. The new formula does not lather, See the Czech and Speake 88 Redux thread.
FWIW @Steve56, my understanding of @Jut's answer to my original question is that he's talking about CzS No. 88 cologne, as a good match for the MdC Rose soap, not the CzS soap...

1626168693682.png

Reactions: Jut
Vetiver is the only one I have tried, it is fresh, not dark and earthy like LPL Vetiver or Fine Green Vetiver. It goes very well with Fine Fresh Vetiver after shave.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have two Martin de Candre soaps, Fougere and Agrumes. Lately, as we slog through the heat of summer, I am very much enjoying the pairing of Agrumes and St. John's Lime. If fall should ever come, my next selection will be the Rose. I could see pairing it with Guerlain Habit Rouge.

I don't think one could go wrong with either the Vétyver or Rose. Both are fantastic!

The No.88 a/s indeed pairs very well with MdC Rose.

(In contrast to the No.88 soap, the No.88 a/s, edc, edp have recently been tweaked, for the better!)

Top Bottom