What's new

please help guys

I got a collapsible silicone shaving bowl from stirling. They also sell these same bowls as bowls for dogs. It lathers pretty good. The bowl itself has 11 what they call agitators inside of it. I was wondering if you think these agitators have the potential to damage one's shaving brush? I just don't wanna ruin any of my synthetic brushes. Also, I noticed at least for me, every time I bowl lather, the lather seems to be much more airy than when I strictly face lather. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem or maybe I am just doing something wrong. My lather seems to come out more thick and much less airy when I face lather than bowl lather. Please help me out if you can.

I have a pottery shaving bowl with ridges and have never had an issue. As long as you aren’t mashing or swirling violently with a lot of pressure you will be fine. Especially so with a synthetic.

The "agitators" were originally put there to keep the dog from eating its food too fast. Marketing at its finest. Just a slightly rough surface would be sufficient. After all, you can build lather in the palm of your hand when traveling, etc.

Still, the silicone material is pretty soft. If you just avoid putting much pressure on the brush it should not hurt your brush.

Wouldn't use one on my badgers, seems the silicone could grab the hair. But synthetics are probably a lot tougher than natural hair.

A plain, cheap stainless bowl with a brushed finish seems to work ok. Stainless Bowl

Last edited:
This is similar to what I use.
B82A876C-2AB9-4043-8B4B-A87DC549BA31.jpeg

I got a collapsible silicone shaving bowl from stirling. They also sell these same bowls as bowls for dogs. It lathers pretty good. The bowl itself has 11 what they call agitators inside of it. I was wondering if you think these agitators have the potential to damage one's shaving brush? I just don't wanna ruin any of my synthetic brushes. Also, I noticed at least for me, every time I bowl lather, the lather seems to be much more airy than when I strictly face lather. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem or maybe I am just doing something wrong. My lather seems to come out more thick and much less airy when I face lather than bowl lather. Please help me out if you can.

I’ve been using the Stirling silicone bowl since it came out and it’s never damaged any of my brushes. It also has the benefit of whipping up a lather in a few minutes.

I’ve been using the Stirling silicone bowl since it came out and it’s never damaged any of my brushes. It also has the benefit of whipping up a lather in a few minutes.
Speaking of dogs, yours is adorable! (If your avatar is a photo of your dog) [emoji4] What is his or her name?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

every time I bowl lather, the lather seems to be much more airy than when I strictly face lather. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem or maybe I am just doing something wrong.
i believe when you bowel lather, its easier to add water to a bowl then a face which can make the lather more airy. also different soaps yield different results. for example tube creams lather easier

In theory, the soap or cream should have a lubricating effect that would protect the brush. I would say its ok to use with any brush but at first i would be cautious until the soap and water is well distributed and could provide glide. I think in order to prove this theory, take some bloom water and put that in the bowl, and try it out with the brush. I would expect you will find it to be slick and not grabbing at your brush bristles. You will know to expect at least that much performance or more when actually lathering your soap or cream.

Concern i would have is using a brush on an unglazed ceramic surface, and if that would have more of a filing/grinding effect on the bristles regardless of the presence of soap

I have a pottery shaving bowl with ridges and have never had an issue. As long as you aren’t mashing or swirling violently with a lot of pressure you will be fine. Especially so with a synthetic.
This.
I used to press hard and swirl fast and when I lightened up and slowed down, it seemed to produce a better lather for me.

I've been using a bowl with agitators along with my much older boar brush and newer badger silvertip. No problems at all.

It sounds like you may be getting an airy lather when you face lather because you have not introduced enough shear into the lather to break down the larger bubbles into very fine bubbles. I have sensitive skin and am unable to face lather as I will get brush burn if I lather fast enough or long enough to produce a smooth lather. Thus, I bowl lather and then paint the lather onto my face. If the level of hydration is not quite right, I might make some adjustment by adding a few drops of water and then face lathering for a few seconds.

Shave bowls often have a non-uniform surface to increase shear and make lathering faster and easier. These can be swirls, ridges, indentations, etc. Some people have even glued a few pennies into the bottom of a smooth bowl. I use a ceramic mortar bowl from a mortar and pestle set designed to grind spices. Thus, the surface of my bowl is rather rough. While it will eventually wear my brushes, it will take quite a while to do so. In the mean time, I can whip up a smooth lather quite quickly. With my easiest lathering soaps and creams, I can produce a great lather in 30 seconds of virogous agitation. Some soaps might take up to a minute. If a soap take me much longer than a minute to lather (Williams Mug Soap takes a minimum of two minutes), I drop it from my rotation.

Top Bottom