What's new

Please explain how, with all else equal, the edge on a full hollow grind is keener than a half or quarter hollow grind.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have read in quite a few places discussing SR grinds, including on B&B, that the more hollow the grind, the keener the edge can be honed. Hollowness of the grind doesn't affect the bevel angle (does it?).

Assuming that all other factors are equal, how can the hollowness of the blade's grind affect the keenness of the edge?

Please keep your answers simple. I'm only an engineer.
I don’t believe that is true. I prefer more hollow grinds but my heavier grinds are just as sharp. Defies logic.

I would assume that two razors with the same width and spine thickness would have the same bevel irrespective of grind.

Whether one prefers to shave with a wedge or extra hollow will have more effect than the blade itself in my opinion.

I would agree with statements above - (same bevel angle = same potential to sharpness), regardless of the grind.

I don't agree with statements that it will feel the same shaving, there is a district difference between the feel of a heavy grind and a very thin hollow grind. Apart from the audible feedback, very thin grinds flex to some extent, which for me, makes a difference in the comfort of the shave. I struggle to get the same quality shave from a TI that I get from a Solingen blade, both are equally sharp, but I suspect that the TI blades are stiffer and less flexible.

I would also add that thin hollow grinds will be easier to hone as you have less metal to remove, so maybe lesser mortals, like me, will not have the ability to get a wedge to the same sharpness as a thin hollow grind.

Last edited:
I am fairly new to this, but I thought this was the product strategy. If you want extra hollow, you get the Evide Sonnant line. If you want slightly thicker, you get the Le Grelot line. 🤷‍♂️

I saw it mentioned at a retailer that the edge may not last as long on those Evide Sonnant razors.

The Le Grelot mark no longer seems to have any special meaning. TI seems to just put it on some of their model 275 blades. I have a new 6/8 Special Coiffeur that is said to be half hollow that feels like a full hollow to me.

From what I can see, most of their new razors use the model 275 blade which comes in sizes up to 6/8, and the blade on the 7/8 Basic Black which comes in 6/8 and 7/8. If you want a new 7/8, the TI 7/8 Basic Black is a great choice.

For the same bevel angle it should feel the same.

The feedback will be wildly different

I would bet if a barber was shaving a person wearing headphones with a wedge vs a hollow grind, the shavee would not be able to sense a difference.

I mean... the barber may not hear the wailing or complaints, but I bet the shavee hears the difference. :letterk1:

wait, what's the barber listening to? that might change things.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I don’t think that you can usually isolate razor characteristics to just the grind.

There also seems to be an unspoken assumption that when people compare a full hollow to a quarter hollow, that the steel, tempering, grinding skill, etc don’t enter into the perceived differences. These factors may make far more difference than the grind profile. There’s no question in my kind that some razors just shave better than others regardless of grind. I suspect people are experiencing a lot of different razor qualities and attributing them to the grind, or whatever else it is that’s the current topic.

I think that a bevel at say 17 degrees is a bevel at 17 degrees. What happens behind the bevel does make a difference in in-shave feel as @Doc226 has noted. Blades that get thicker quicker have less feedback and feel ‘smoother’, though they really aren’t. They are stiffer though.

Top Bottom