What's new

please advise on first sample pack purcase

I'm making my first purchase now that I've decided on razors. The advice on buying a sample pack seems like a no brainer but,
I see packs ranging from 4 choices:
LORD STAINLESS
Derby Extra (5 blades)
DORCO Platinum ST-300 (10 blades)
Red Pack Israeli (10 blades)

to MANY choices:
Merkur Super Platinum (10 blades)
Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum (10 blades)
LORD STAINLESS
Derby Extra (5 blades)
Wilkinson Sword (5 blades)
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (5 blades)
Astra Superior Platinum (5 blades)
BIC Chrome Platinum (5 blades)
DORCO Platinum ST-300 (10 blades)
DORCO Platinum ST-301 (10 blades)
Red Pack Israeli (10 blades)
Lord Platinum (5 blades)
Sharp (5 blades)
Shark Super Chrome (5 blades)
Shark Super Stainless (5 blades)
Nacet Platinum (5 blades)
Super-Max Stainless (10 blades)

My question is... are any of the choices on the big list proven duds? If I can get the real winners in a smaller package while avoiding the duds I'd like to know.
I'm choosing from the West Coast Shaving sample packs.

Many consider Merkur blades duds. Some think they're great. Dorco ST-300 (not the 301) are really the only ones that I think almost everyone agrees on as not very pleasant, but someone's buying them otherwise John wouldn't stock them.

Honestly, buy the biggest sample pack you can because you never know which blade is best for you. Your face will thank you

Out of the 17 choices in the MANY list, every single one has someone that uses it as a daily shaver.

If you're looking for sharpness: Feather, Astra SP, Gillette 7OC SharpEdge
Many folks call these smooth: Dorco ST-301, Red Israeli Personna
In-betweeners that were good for me: Lord Platinum, both Sharks, Nacet, Wilkinson

ONE MAN'S OPINION, for your consideration.

I do plan to order from WCS because I'm making a big order and I don't wanna split it up for shipping cost reasons.
I guess I'll just get the big one. Your right someone must be using every one of them... so, one of the "duds" could end up being a favorite.
If someone cares to take the time... it would be awesome to know how the blades in the big pack rank on the mild to aggressive scale.
Out of the big list... which one would be my best choice for a mild and forgiving virgin shave?

Last edited:
I would look for a pack that is tailored for a newbie. I'm partial to Razor Blades & More, who have a number of packs rated by experience level. IMO I'd limit the choices to a few blades that are noted for being forgiving and give them all a second chance, check out the review section of B/S/T. If you go with one of the big sampler packs you may change so frequently that you pass on something that really works.

I would say the $10 Sampler pack from West Coast Shaving...it has Crystals, Red Personna, Derby, Astra and Feather....all VERY easy to find blades

Is a comprehensive ranking list of blade sharpness and aggressiveness
available anywhere ?

When buying shaving equipment from The Superior Shave a few months ago I emailed owner Jared for information about his sampler packs and he responded by adding the information to the website description for the
ten blades in the Full Sampler pack.

My experience with The Superior Shave was excellent. Great customer service, good prices, free shipping.

Is a similar description ranking more than ten blades available anywhere ?

If someone cares to take the time... it would be awesome to know how the blades in the big pack rank on the mild to aggressive scale.
Out of the big list... which one would be my best choice for a mild and forgiving virgin shave?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chris:
Not to discourage you but, my Blade Sampler of choice from Ebay is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/22-Feather-BlueBird-KAI-Gillette-ASTRA-Sampler-Blades-/180513333566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a076ee13e

Blades (two each), received are:

LEFT SIDE

ASTRA Superior Platinum

ASTRA Superior Stainless

BlueBird Hi Stainless

Super-Max Stainless

Super-Max Platinum

KAI (displayed bottom - middle)

RIGHT SIDE

TREET Classic Stainless

TRIG Silver Edge Stainless

FEATHER Hi-Stainless

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless

Derby Extra Stainless

Also, it is wise and sage advice to keep a record / data / spread sheet of each bladec characteristics (sharp, moderate, mild, smooth, nicks, razor burn ect...). Enclosed below is my Posted Reply in regard to an example Spread Sheet.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2804882#post2804882

Christopher
proxy.php

Thank you Count for the advice. There are many in that list that aren't included in the one I ordered so I may give it a try. Thanks for linking the other thread. Would you send me a copy of your spreadsheet?

Top Bottom