What's new

Playlist for a 1970 High School Reunion?

Put on "Jazz Impressions of Japan" during a desolate looking section of a long highway drive. She probably wouldn't boot you out of the car for that?

Our common ground in music is 50s & 60s oldies. The only Brubeck tune she will tolerate is Take 5. I have 30 versions of Take 5, ranging from 3 to over 16 minutes. I once burned an 80 minute CD of my favorite versions for a trip. By the end of the second one, she realized what I had done and ejected the CD.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
There's a lot of Beatles in the list (I'm a Beatles fan), but quite a bit else too.

There's 180 songs here, at 3 minutes per song average that's 9 hours play time.

Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head.mp3
Sly And The Family Stone - Everybody Is A Star.mp3
Five Stairsteps & Cubie - Dear Prudence.mp3
Bobby Sherman - Julie, Do Ya Love Me.mp3
Sugarloaf - Green Eyed Lady.mp3
Bobby Sherman - Easy Come, Easy Go.mp3
Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun.mp3
New Seekers - Look What They've Done To My Song Ma.mp3
A Day In The Life.mp3
A Hazy Shade Of Winter.mp3
A Lovers Concerto.mp3
Across The Universe.mp3
All Right Now.mp3
Along Comes Mary.mp3
America.mp3
And It Stoned Me.mp3
And When I Die.mp3
And Your Bird Can Sing.mp3
Astronomy Domine.mp3
At The Zoo.mp3
Babe Im Gonna Leave You.mp3
Because.mp3
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!.mp3
Bike.mp3
Birthday.mp3
Black Is Black.mp3
Black Mountain Side.mp3
Blowin' In The Wind.mp3
Bookends Theme.mp3
Brand New Day.mp3
Bring It On Home.mp3
Caravan.mp3
Carry that Weight.mp3
Chapter 24.mp3
Cherish.mp3
Come Running.mp3
Come Together.mp3
Communication Breakdown.mp3
Cousin Kevin.mp3
Crazy Love.mp3
Cry Baby Cry.mp3
Dazed and Confused.mp3
Dig A Pony.mp3
Dig It.mp3
Doctor Robert.mp3
Eleanor Rigby.mp3
Eve Of Destruction(McGuire).mp3
Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey.mp3
Everyone.mp3
Fakin' It.mp3
Fixing A Hole.mp3
Flaming.mp3
For No One.mp3
For What Its Worth.mp3
For You Blue.mp3
Get Back.mp3
Getting Better.mp3
Gimme Gimme Good Lovin.mp3
Glad Tidings.mp3
Golden Slumbers.mp3
Good Day Sunshine.mp3
Good Morning Good Morning.mp3
Good Night.mp3
Good Times Bad Times.mp3
Heartbreaker.mp3
Helter Skelter.mp3
Her Majesty.mp3
Here Comes The Sun.mp3
Here, There And Everywhere.mp3
Hey There Lonely Girl.mp3
Honey Pie.mp3
How Many More Times.mp3
I Can't Quit You Baby.mp3
I Don't Believe In Miracles.mp3
I Got Stoned and I Missed It.mp3
I Me Mine.mp3
I Want To Tell You.mp3
I Want You (She's So Heavy).mp3
I Want You.mp3
I'm Free.mp3
I'm Only Sleeping.mp3
I've Got A Feeling.mp3
In the Year 2525.mp3
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.mp3
Interstellar Overdrive.mp3
Into The Mystic.mp3
It Ain't Me Babe.mp3
Just like a woman.mp3
Let It Be.mp3
list.txt
Living Loving Maid.mp3
Long, Long, Long.mp3
Love You To.mp3
Lovely Rita.mp3
Lucifer Sam.mp3
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.mp3
Maggie Mae.mp3
Matilda Mother.mp3
Maxwells Silver Hammer.mp3
Mean Mr Mustard.mp3
Mellow Yellow.mp3
Miracle Cure.mp3
Moby Dick.mp3
Montego Bay.mp3
Moondance.mp3
Mother Nature's Son.mp3
Mrs. Robinson.mp3
My Cherie Amour.mp3
Never my Love.mp3
Nothing Really Changes.mp3
Octopus's Garden.mp3
Oh Darling.mp3
Old Friends.mp3
One After 909.mp3
Overs.mp3
Pata-Pata.mp3
Pictures of Matchstick Men.mp3
Pinball Wizard.mp3
Polythene Pam.mp3
Positively 4th Street.mp3
Pow R. Toc H..mp3
Punky's Dilemma.mp3
Rain.mp3
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35.mp3
Ramble On.mp3
Reach Out In The Darkness.mp3
Requiem For The Masses.mp3
Revolution 1.mp3
Revolution 9.mp3
Right Here In America.mp3
Sally Simpson.mp3
Save The Life Of My Child.mp3
Savoy Truffle.mp3
See Me Feel Me.mp3
Sensation.mp3
Sexy Sadie.mp3
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise).mp3
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window .mp3
She Said She Said.mp3
She's Leaving Home.mp3
Sittin' on The Dock of the Bay.mp3
Smile A Little Smile For Me.mp3
Smiling Phases.mp3
Soul man.mp3
Spinning Wheel.mp3
Subterranean Homesick Blues.mp3
Sun King.mp3
Sunny.mp3
Take a Letter Maria.mp3
Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk.mp3
Taxman.mp3
Thank You.mp3
The End.mp3
The Gnome.mp3
The Lemon Song.mp3
The Long And Winding Road.mp3
The Scarecrow.mp3
The Times They Are A-Changing.mp3
These Dreams Of You.mp3
Tommy Can You Hear Me.mp3
Tommy's Holiday Camp.mp3
Tomorrow Never Knows.mp3
Two Of Us.mp3
Voices Of Old People.mp3
We Aint Got Nothing Yet.mp3
We're Not Gonna Take It.mp3
Welcome.mp3
What is and What Never Should be.mp3
When I'm Sixty-Four.mp3
Whole Lotta Love.mp3
Winchester Cathedral.mp3
Windy.mp3
With A Little Help From My Friends.mp3
Within You Without You.mp3
Yellow Submarine.mp3
Yer Blues.mp3
You Never Give Me Your Money.mp3
You Shook Me.mp3
You've Made Me So Very Happy.mp3
Your Song(TDN).mp3
Your Time Is Gonna Come.mp3

Very complete and outstanding list, Phil! Well done! :thumbsup:

I would think that most who graduated in 1970 would be familiar with songs from the early to late 60s, like the Motown groups, Gary U.S. Bonds, Chubby Checker, The Isley Brothers, CCR (Creedence), Chicago (25 or 6 to 4 was released in June 1970).

I would think that most who graduated in 1970 would be familiar with songs from the early to late 60s, like the Motown groups, Gary U.S. Bonds, Chubby Checker, The Isley Brothers, CCR (Creedence), Chicago (25 or 6 to 4 was released in June 1970).

All of these are good. I, myself, feel like some of the Motown stuff has been played to the point where I am tired of it. But I have included a fair amount of Motown. Gary US Bonds is an earlier but worthy artist. I have come to think of Chubby Checker as inauthentic. Hank Ballard would be an interesting substitute. I have the Isley's, for sure. I have some CCR, but I have come to not love CCR, I am not sure why. They were huge back in the day and seemed to have some hip cred. Terry Kath of Chicago was one of the greatest and most underrated guitar players ever. But I do not think I personally ever loved Chicago, except, perhaps, for the first album. I managed to become utterly sick of 25 or 6 to 4, for reasons not the fault of Chicago.

Very complete and outstanding list, Phil! Well done! :thumbsup:
+1

I am not putting In A Gadda Da Vida on there because of length. Also, I think I could die at piece if I never hear it again, as important as it once was to me. Does everyone know what happened to the drummer? It is quite a story and I would say a fitting end of the 60s way to go out!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I, myself, feel like some of the Motown stuff has been played to the point where I am tired of it. But I have included a fair amount of Motown.

Check out "northern soul".

Long story short, in the early 70s or thereabouts some folks in northern England started getting "into" Motown ... but not the standard stuff ... they were into the obscure stuff, and the more obscure the better. So the likely reaction from someone who isn't already into Northern Soul is to say "hey cool song ... why haven't I heard that before??"

Check out "northern soul".

Long story short, in the early 70s or thereabouts some folks in northern England started getting "into" Motown ... but not the standard stuff ... they were into the obscure stuff, and the more obscure the better. So the likely reaction from someone who isn't already into Northern Soul is to say "hey cool song ... why haven't I heard that before??"

Wow, Ian, as is often the case, great minds think alike, and you and I think alike, too. I could have written your post almost verbatim, and I am surprised I did not mention Northern Soul earlier. I have quite a bit of Northern Soul in the playlist, much of it frontloaded, I like it so much, and I very much think folks are likely to say "hey cool song ... why haven't I heard that before??" which is a plus. The time frame is not bad either. Or they may say something like, "that sure is a familiar cut, but I cannot quite place it. I must not have heard that cut for 50 years!" When in fact they had never heard it at all.

Northern Soul has an amazing background and is apparently still going strong around places like Manchester. It is a scene with its own subculture, including sayings like "keeping the faith." Dance clubs that ran from 2 to 8 am, no alcohol sales but lots of leapers, wide legged trousers, and particular, rather fast dance moves, with a lot of foot and not so much arm action, a bit like the shag or Irish Riverdance-type dancing. :) Although, folks do not seem to mind folks who cannot much dance gettin out on the floor as well.

And not so much Motown, which was considered, among other things, to generally have too slow a beat, as other American soul music. You are right, the more obscure the better. The 2010 movie Blue Valentine got a a lot of press for including in its sound track "You and Me" by Penny and the Quarters, which was apparently found in a box of demos from a closed down recording studio, and for a long time no one could figure out who Penny and the Quarters were. However, DJs from the Northern Soul scene had been making trips to the US for decades by that point to go local soul music recording studios, often long closed, to dig through demos and records released to few sales to find true gems of soul music.

The You Tube link Doc4 provides has some great examples, including "Do I Love You" by Frank Wilson and "Out on the Floor" by Dobie Gray. "Heaven Must Have Sent You by The Elgins is another, although I think it is a Motown cut and was released commercially in the States to some small success. What I think of as Carolina Beach Music shows up a bit, too, in cuts such as The Tams "Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy," and maybe The Foundations.

I only recently found out about Northern Soul. But it is a great music culture! Thanks, Ian.

@The Knize yes IIRC, northern soul isn't actually "Motown" but whatever the "off Broadway" version of soul music is.

KTF

:) Maybe more like off off Broadway, although as I indicated, some Motown seems to sneak in there. I had not noticed that real Motown typically had a slow beat. It does not seem to be much in the way of STAX and Muscle Shoals stuff either. There must have been hundreds of R&B/soul record companies back in the day, under who knows what overlapping ownership. Have a look at the labels Hank Ballard songs were released under. Hank Ballard - https://www.discogs.com/artist/41418-Hank-Ballard (I do not seem HB as Northern Soul from what I have seen, but like I said earlier, some of those Beach Music groups seem to have been picked up on by the Northern Soul folks. You and Me was recorded at Harmonic Sounds Studio in Columbus, Ohio. It was not actually released until 25 to 30 years later after the demo was found in studio materials at the owners house after he passed away, long after the studio closed down.

Absolutely, KTF.

Top Bottom