What's new

Playlist for a 1970 High School Reunion?

Don't it make you wanna go home is a mournful touching reminder that you can never go back.
Good one. Geez, that is maudlin!

'Homeward Bound" by Simon & Garfunkel might be another one. Although I do not get the impression that many of my No. Va. classmates really thinking of No. Va. as home, at least those who did not hang around. I am losing enthusiasm for the whole effort! Attendance is going to be low because of the COVID variant.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Let me clarify - I like jazz classified as Big Band and Swing. I don't like Improvisational Jazz. It's too chaotic and discordant!
Most people don't even know that Big Band and Swing are types of Jazz. When I referred to Jazz, I meant Improvisational Jazz.

Fair enough ;)
I am reminded of Adam Carolla's line about thinking he was finding common ground with the father of a girl he was dating when the father said he loved jazz and comedy. And then the father elaborated, "Dixieland and Gallagher"!

:lol:

Here you go @The Knize , this one from 1968 is perfect.....

Although I will admit I gleaned it from the film Zodiac (which is excellent BTW)

Also regarding The Who's Baba O'Riley, although I am from a slightly younger generation than you (my high school graduation was about 20 years later) That song had a resurgence in popularity for folks my age. I distinctly remember hearing it for the first time (that I remember anyway) as a freshman in college blaring from a classmates dorm room. Also the immensely popular Gen X band Pearl Jam started playing it live at some of their shows.

Let me clarify - I like jazz classified as Big Band and Swing. I don't like Improvisational Jazz. It's too chaotic and discordant!
Most people don't even know that Big Band and Swing are types of Jazz. When I referred to Jazz, I meant Improvisational Jazz.

Listen to the opening notes from Miles Davis....you may change your mind.

Donovan is definitely going to be on there. I am thinking "Try for the Sun," which is rather obscure, but way ahead of its time. "Hurdy Gurdy Man" is a good song.

I really do not know how to divide up different genres of Jazz.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Listen to the opening notes from Miles Davis....you may change your mind.

To be honest, maybe I need to rexamine my parameters. I like music I like, you know? And when I hear something I don't like a few times and look at what it is, and find out it is Jazz, then I perhaps get the impression I don't like Jazz.
The Miles Davis tune you posted is nice, I'd have no problem with that on my playlist.
In retrospect, it is likely that I have listened to and liked a lot of Jazz, and just didn't recognize that it was Jazz.
I'm open to changing my perspective on it, and I'd like to thank the folks here for helping me to do that.

When I said I didn't like Jazz, this is what I meant.
Also Miles Davis, but almost from the start it grates on every nerve cell in my auditory system.

To be honest, maybe I need to rexamine my parameters. I like music I like, you know? And when I hear something I don't like a few times and look at what it is, and find out it is Jazz, then I perhaps get the impression I don't like Jazz.
The Miles Davis tune you posted is nice, I'd have no problem with that on my playlist.
In retrospect, it is likely that I have listened to and liked a lot of Jazz, and just didn't recognize that it was Jazz.
I'm open to changing my perspective on it, and I'd like to thank the folks here for helping me to do that.

When I said I didn't like Jazz, this is what I meant.
Also Miles Davis, but almost from the start it grates on every nerve cell in my auditory system.

FWIW, I hated “Bitches Brew” (also Miles Davis). I bet you would love almost everything in my extensive jazz collection. I like almost all music....opera, blues, oldies rock, zydeco, classical, reggae, country.

Last edited:
I have a library of about 7000 songs and can sort them by date. I can print out a list of 1969 and 1970 if you'd like.
My advice would be to go at least 67 to 70, and more likely 1966 to 1970. We tend to remember songs we heard in High School, and people in first year still would have been listening to popular 1966 songs for a couple of years.
I was figuring 1964- 70 mixed in with some music even after that time to maybe include songs that interest that generation even if by some more current artist..( Things you like now )

Just put In A Gadda Da Vida on loop for the whole night.

Almost hate to admit that I had that LP when it came out, but I can't remember if I saw them live or not. I spent my high school junior (63) and senior (64) proms in a garage helping rebuild a friend's engine in his TR2. Absolutely no regrets. Great times. I've never been to a high school reunion.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't believe I had ever heard of the existence of a song called "Everybody's got something to hide but me and my monkey."

I can no longer claim to be the smartest person living in my head.

FWIW, I hated “Bitches Brew” (also Miles Davis). I bet you would love almost everything in my extensive jazz collection. I like almost all music....opera, blues, oldies rock, zydeco, classical, reggae, country.

My jazz collection is limited to over 700 Brubeck mp3's (CDs), all from the 50s and 60s. Not really prom music. SWMBO even forbids me from playing any Brubeck if she's in the car.

Last edited:
Eclectic is king!
In my library there are examples of every genre, with the possible exception of Jazz.
I listen to classical, opera, blues, rock, rap, CW and everything between spanning from new releases to Gregorian chants!
We're 2 days away from the anniversary of the death of Joe South, who like Paul Williams, is less known for his own performances than the myriad songs he wrote as hits for other artists.
I can't quite stretch to opera (except the Three Tenors), rap or CW but variety is the spice of life.

My jazz collection is limited to over 700 Brubeck mp3's (CDs), all from the 50s and 60s. Not really prom music. SWMBO even forbids me from playing any Brubeck if she's in the car.
Put on "Jazz Impressions of Japan" during a desolate looking section of a long highway drive. She probably wouldn't boot you out of the car for that?

Top Bottom