What's new

Playing Dr. Frankenstein with soaps

I had a fun time last night creating my first Franken-soap : a full puck of Williams, 1/3 stick of Valobra and the scraps of an AoS Lavender puck all milled together and tightly pressed into an old Ogallala shave stick container. 5 minutes sitting in hot water to soften everything up and a couple hours in the freezer to harden it, and this morning had a fantastic triple-tallowed shave.

Now I've got a bowl full of the overflow shavings sitting there staring at me and crazy ideas are running through my head. The shavings are super-fine, like very fine mozzarella cheese. Mashing them down into bowl seems way too boring. Maybe pack them into the brush breech and just start face lathering? Maybe sprinkle some like fairy shave dust over a bowl of cream? What's the craziest idea out there?

proxy.php

clownbarf

I've been chucking the final, difficult to use slivers of shaving soaps into a container for years now. Mash them down in so that they stay put and then shave with it when the mood strikes me. Just today I had a shave with my Franken Foam, as I call it. I posted a thread about it a couple of years back.

I think I am going to take the last chunk of Williams (that little part that just spins around the bowl!) and throw it in some melted VDH and a puck of Surrey that I bought at an antique shop. The Surrey puck is too small to put in the bowl, I can see that thing just flying out onto the floor. I'm not sure if the Surrey has tallow in it so I will have to mill it down with the Williams and mix it with the melted VDH.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Here's mine...

1x Homemade Lemon Myrtle shaving soap with too much olive oil
1x Col. Conk Almond
1x Tallow Windsor shaving soap

First two are melted and last was chopped and mixed before the glycerin soaps solidified. Scent is OK but performance? Super slick!
View attachment 135018

Not quite as ambitious as some of these, but when I had worn down all 5 samples in an Ogallala sampler, I melted the 5 scents together and I swear it produced what became my favorite of all the scents.

Here's mine...

1x Homemade Lemon Myrtle shaving soap with too much olive oil
1x Col. Conk Almond
1x Tallow Windsor shaving soap

First two are melted and last was chopped and mixed before the glycerin soaps solidified. Scent is OK but performance? Super slick!
View attachment 135018

Luc, that bowl is awesome man!

Australian stuff like that strikes my fancy. My car is even from Australia! It's a Holden Commodore over there, but here in the states it's a Pontiac G8 GT.

Most people don't know that GM builds the engines and sends them to Aus, where the Aussies shove them into the commodore with Pontiac badges and ship them back over :thumbup1:

Top Bottom