What's new

Platinum Strangelet Super Sharps by PAA

Their called

Gememe Sweden Stainless Steel and if I'm reading the ad right you can get a tuck (5 blades) for three cents

I was of referring to the ones sold by Global Shave Club being re-sold by others and calling them "Canadian made blades." But you bring up a more important point, there actually is money to be made reselling cheap blades in fancy packaging. I do wonder what the cost is per 10.000... 🤔

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This seems harsh. If he's an employee of PAA or has some other conflict of interest, sure, let us know that. If he's just a fan of this blade or PAA products in general, I want to hear why.
Most of us know how sharp a Feather is, so if it's 75 percent as sharp, but smoother, I can use that information.
Most coated blades -- which means most blades -- take a few strokes before they hit their stride. If that makes it a crap blade to you, that's your truth. His truth is that a few rough strokes in the first pass don't matter much in an otherwise smooth shave.
Re: No. 3, know that most people believe that some blades are more forgiving than others. I'll take a Crystal or a Voskhod into my mustache or soul patch and hack away until I get BBS with no nicks, even with less-than-perfect technique. That's forgiving. If I do the same with a Feather, I'll get lots of nicks.
You can believe whatever you want to believe, whether it's true or not. You can like whatever you want to like.
Fanboyism isn't tolerated here and it won't ever be. If that's harsh, then so be it.
That's the reason that this group was in clubs and brotherhoods to begin with - fanboys.
Want to talk about this product? Fine.
Want to tolerate fanboys? We can move all discussions of this manufacturer back to Clubs and Brotherhoods. That's up to the membership.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I am here to both poke fun at this whole marketing scheme and to actually here how these blades perform. There are going to be a lot of newbies joining, as usual, that have bought PAA soaps and now blades along with it. I don't want to make them feel bad, I want to be able to either tell them to get better blades or work on their technique. If the blades are at least passable, they can burn through their stash and buy something else. If the first shave is a tug fest, that may not be great for one and done shaving. That would indicate to me that they applied an extra thick coating to smooth out a rough underlying blade and one should watch out trying to push these as well.

What exactly shouldn't be tolerated? Why is it bad to enjoy certain brands? Or am I not understanding what constitutes "fanboy" status? If it's just enthusiasm towards a certain brands then there are Tabac and Arko fanboys many degrees of magnitude more rampant than PAA fanboys.

What exactly shouldn't be tolerated? Why is it bad to enjoy certain brands? Or am I not understanding what constitutes "fanboy" status? If it's just enthusiasm towards a certain brands then there are Tabac and Arko fanboys many degrees of magnitude more rampant than PAA fanboys.
I think what he is getting at is that this brand has been religated to the Clubs and Brotherhoods, but some threads are being tolerated. That status can be revoked at any time if they devolve into fanboying I guess. The difference is the brand. M&W haven't been deemed a problematic company.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For starters, making ridiculous claims about how wonderful a blade is that tugs for half of your shave maybe.
Combine that with a full 1/3 of your posts at B&B being about a given manufacturers products maybe.
It's not that a manufacturer gets talked about. It's how many times a manufacturer gets talked about by the same member, and often attributing magical unicorn qualities to the product.
There's enough experience here to determine when a manufacturer is getting fanboy treatment. It may not be evident to folks who don't deal with this every single day, but a word early is always the best way to head off a problem before it becomes a problem.

For starters, making ridiculous claims about how wonderful a blade is that tugs for half of your shave maybe.
Combine that with a full 1/3 of your posts at B&B being about a given manufacturers products maybe.
It's not that a manufacturer gets talked about. It's how many times a manufacturer gets talked about by the same member, and often attributing magical unicorn qualities to the product.
There's enough experience here to determine when a manufacturer is getting fanboy treatment. It may not be evident to folks who don't deal with this every single day, but a word early is always the best way to head off a problem before it becomes a problem.
I'm starting to understand what you're saying, even if I don't understand why you didn't bring this up to begin with. The discussion of how often a user praises a company is much more insightful than spurious arguments about forgiving blades and break-in times.

I was of referring to the ones sold by Global Shave Club being re-sold by others and calling them "Canadian made blades." But you bring up a more important point, there actually is money to be made reselling cheap blades in fancy packaging. I do wonder what the cost is per 10.000... 🤔
Also Swedish razor blade strip steel isn't some fancy hard to find product. It is a common commodity for sale on the open market.
Here is one source
Sandvik 13C26 razor blade steel — Sandvik Materials Technology - https://www.materials.sandvik/en/products/strip-steel/strip-products/razor-blade-strip-steel/

Ok I am done with one Tuck. This topic reminds me of debate I hear about Apple products. Some people hate the products some very much love and defend. Yeah obviously they put money into marketing. That turns some people off.
I had one blade that was very slightly duller than the others and imho fell out of what I will tolerate. However, it was so close to being rigjt there. The rest of the blades were sharp, and only when I comapre them to 10. Do they seem less sharp. Feather being 10.
Someone posted the goal of the blade is voskhod mixed with Feather. Yeah I think this qualities. They are essentially Nacet. Unless you are obsessed with sharpness. Which I am, these will be a good purchase, and you will have a great result.
As for longevity. I am one and done.

Ok I am done with one Tuck. This topic reminds me of debate I hear about Apple products. Some people hate the products some very much love and defend. Yeah obviously they put money into marketing. That turns some people off.
I had one blade that was very slightly duller than the others and imho fell out of what I will tolerate. However, it was so close to being rigjt there. The rest of the blades were sharp, and only when I comapre them to 10. Do they seem less sharp. Feather being 10.
Someone posted the goal of the blade is voskhod mixed with Feather. Yeah I think this qualities. They are essentially Nacet. Unless you are obsessed with sharpness. Which I am, these will be a good purchase, and you will have a great result.
You might be selling yourself short. Some blades are sharper on the 2nd even 3rd shave. Not sure how this translates to leg shaving. You are covering a much larger area.

Have you seen this chart? The feather is by far the sharpest but its durability is subpar.
Not sure if link is allowed.

Last edited:
Have you seen this chart? The feather is by far the sharpest but its durability is subpar.
I haven't. I find he personna med prep to be tied. My razor loved it. I think it's like double the price though right so it better be.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasta

Blade Biter
Looked through my stash.

Wrappers seem similar to the Ming Shi. But no conclusions about the blade itself.

20211217_075829.jpg

PXL_20211206_215051837.resized.jpg

Top Bottom