What's new

Platinum Strangelet Super Sharps by PAA

I never thought of that. I’ve never corked a blade. Does it have to be real cork? It seems most of the corks lately are synthetic.
I don’t think it matters just keep in mind that it can have different effects on different blades. Sometimes negative so be prepared for that. Some people cork just one side so they can compare easily.

First shave with the PAA Strangelet Blade

SOTD 12142021.jpg

Paired with GC84. The shave went well. A little tuggy to start but smoothed out quickly. Not the sharpest blade out there but enough to cut down all the growth with no issues. It felt smooth and enjoyable to shave with. It doesn't knock my top 3 spots but I'll have to try it more for better judgement.

This info was found at the bottom of their long description.

"Manufactured in China, Made From Imported Swedish Steel
[Note: If there were actually more than just one Blade Manufacturer in the USA and was willing to work closely with a small US artisan we would have gleefully went that route.]"

Does this mean that since they weren't able to gleefully work with a USA blade manufacturer they dourly worked with a Chinese blade manufacturer?

[Note: If there were actually more than just one Blade Manufacturer in the USA and was willing to work closely with a small US artisan we would have gleefully went that route.]"

Does this mean that since they weren't able to gleefully work with a USA blade manufacturer they dourly worked with a Chinese blade manufacturer?
That‘s funny.

Why would ANY blade producer want to private label only thousands or even tens of thousands of blades for a “small US artisan”? The big manufacturers sell countless millions of blades annually. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That‘s funny.

Why would ANY blade producer want to private label only thousands or even tens of thousands of blades for a “small US artisan”? The big manufacturers sell countless millions of blades annually. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Come on, you know the answer! It's just a service like ordering T shirts for your "Retired Dads" softball team. Send them the files and they will print nekid ladys in a tattoo style on your blades! As I said before, I am actually interested where he got the packaging done, that might have actually taken effort! :lol:

Come on, you know the answer! It's just a service like ordering T shirts for your "Retired Dads" softball team. Send them the files and they will print nekid ladys in a tattoo style on your blades! As I said before, I am actually interested where he got the packaging done, that might have actually taken effort! :lol:
The packaging cost him more than the blades.

Yes, but the crux of the issue was how was the demeanor when the order was made. They felt it was so important to tell us that working with a USA manufacturer would be a gleeful experience, how was it working with a Chinese manufacturer?

Yes, but the crux of the issue was how was the demeanor when the order was made. They felt it was so important to tell us that working with a USA manufacturer would be a gleeful experience, how was it working with a Chinese manufacturer?
Yes, attitude is everything! You may call up one Chinese factory chirping with glee at your brilliant ideas and they don't understand your "vision." So you call(email) up another and attempt to communicate in a neutral manner. So they ignore the first 10 emails, then they give you the run around about how long it will take and what are the minimums. But the holidays are approaching and you need YOUR OWN blades for complete shave kits. So now you adjust your attitude, Mr. 'Merican, call them with confidence and bravado! Talk faster than their brain can translate, wear them down. Reluctantly they will send the files to the appropriate printers, interrupting their counterfeiting operation. Now you have blades printing, time to figure out how much air freight is going to cost...

I don't really care one way or the other, but I think what he's trying to say is something along the lines of:

"Note: We wanted to manufacture these blades in the US, that would have made us happy ("gleeful"). Unfortunately, there's only one plant in the US that makes razor blades. This manufacturer was not willing to do our short-run/custom orders on an ongoing basis, so we found a manufacturer in China that is. Going with a Chinese manufacturer did not make us happy, as we would have preferred US manufacture but, it is what it is."

This. I think the glee would have been in the decision/ability to have them made in the US, not in the day to day dealings.
I don't really care one way or the other, but I think what he's trying to say is something along the lines of:

"Note: We wanted to manufacture these blades in the US, that would have made us happy ("gleeful"). Unfortunately, there's only one plant in the US that makes razor blades. This manufacturer was not willing to do our short-run/custom orders on an ongoing basis, so we found a manufacturer in China that is. Going with a Chinese manufacturer did not make us happy, as we would have preferred US manufacture but, it is what it is."

Objective, NO B.S. review of the PAA blades:
1. I don't find them as sharp as feathers, but in a good way (see point 3)
Theyre still very sharp (if feathers are 10/10, these are probably 7.5/10).

2. Theyre so smooth...after a few strokes.
Basically, I have super coarse/ thick hair. These really hit their strides after breaking them in after shaving about half my face. After that, theyre as smooth or smoother than any other blade I've used. Ever.

3. Theyre very forgiving.
Even shaving with rex ambassador on setting 6 and going over bumps, it haven't cut myself or nicked myself. Idk how this works but it's awesome. I also don't get any alum feedback. Just smooth bbs.

here's my head shave with the blades.
20211215_190605.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Objective, NO B.S. review of the PAA blades:
1. I don't find them as sharp as feathers, but in a good way (see point 3)
Theyre still very sharp (if feathers are 10/10, these are probably 7.5/10).

2. Theyre so smooth...after a few strokes.
Basically, I have super coarse/ thick hair. These really hit their strides after breaking them in after shaving about half my face. After that, theyre as smooth or smoother than any other blade I've used. Ever.

3. Theyre very forgiving.
Even shaving with rex ambassador on setting 6 and going over bumps, it haven't cut myself or nicked myself. Idk how this works but it's awesome. I also don't get any alum feedback. Just smooth bbs.

here's my head shave with the blades.
View attachment 1378853
Sorry, your no BS review reeks of BS.

1. That's pretty generic. Few blades rank up with feather. I would agree that Chinese factory blades are not as sharp. Hard to see how that's a "pro".

2. If you have to shave half your face before they feel smooth, that's a crap blade.

3. Technique and the razor control whether you get cuts or not. A razor blade cuts things, it can't prevent you from nicking yourself.

I get it. Your a fan of PAA.
Let's keep the comments honest and realistic, otherwise it just comes off as the proselytizing of a fanboy.

Last edited:
If I'm being honest here, there is absolutely nothing about this blade that would make me want to buy them...even if they were made in the US!! To make it even worse is the packaging!! Horrendous and childish!! Its not surprising to me that the fanboys are comparing them favorably to a Feather blade....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
To make it even worse is the packaging!! Horrendous and childish!!

My first thought exactly on the blades. The design of the packaging reeks of hyperbole marketing.
But to be fair - many artisans are leaning that way with package design. Over the top artwork meant to standout but not be taken seriously.

I’d be willing to give these blades a try. But I’m not going to buy them. I’ll wait until they are in The Great Blade Exchange.

You can buy Swedish platinum coated blades on Alibaba for pennies. They are the same ones Global shave club sells. Just saying.

Sorry, your no BS review reeks of BS.

1. That's pretty generic. Few blades rank up with feather. I would agree that Chinese factory blades are not as sharp. Hard to see how that's a "pro".

2. If you have to shave half your face before they feel smooth, that's a crap blade.

3. Technique and the razor control whether you get cuts or not. A razor blade cuts things, it can't prevent you from nicking yourself.

I get it. Your a fan of PAA.
Let's keep the comments honest and realistic, otherwise it just comes off as the proselytizing of a fanboy.
This seems harsh. If he's an employee of PAA or has some other conflict of interest, sure, let us know that. If he's just a fan of this blade or PAA products in general, I want to hear why.
Most of us know how sharp a Feather is, so if it's 75 percent as sharp, but smoother, I can use that information.
Most coated blades -- which means most blades -- take a few strokes before they hit their stride. If that makes it a crap blade to you, that's your truth. His truth is that a few rough strokes in the first pass don't matter much in an otherwise smooth shave.
Re: No. 3, know that most people believe that some blades are more forgiving than others. I'll take a Crystal or a Voskhod into my mustache or soul patch and hack away until I get BBS with no nicks, even with less-than-perfect technique. That's forgiving. If I do the same with a Feather, I'll get lots of nicks.

Top Bottom