What's new

Platinum Preppy ink drops on paper

All,

Got a free PP Eyedropper FP with a recent purchase of Noodlers HoD. I inked it up with a vial of one of the Goulet's monthly samples...anyone have experience with something similar? Mine can't write a full sentence without dropping a huge ball of ink on the page...guessing it's due to the low volume because everything appears tight on the pen...

After doing some research, this appears to be caused by low ink volume on ED FPs.

Anyone have a similar experience?

I'm bummed because this was a good pen to use up some of the monthly samples...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Might want to apply more silicon grease as there might be a bad seal.

Yep, you're very possibly leaking air somewhere.

Eyedroppers do blob when the air expands from warmth of your hand, a problem that is exacerbated when the ink supply is low.

Sounds like having a car with a 20 gallon tank but you only get to use half before needing a fill-up. :001_unsur

Doesn't sound so odd to those who have lived in colder climates. Better to top off the tank than have problems with water in the tank. Or ink blurps on the page.

EDs are also aided by a breather tube. They can be run dry without much problem IME.

I have 3 ED Preppies and never had this problem, but my ED 78g leaves big blobs of ink every time I try to use it. I'll try adding more ink and putting more grease on the threads.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sounds like having a car with a 20 gallon tank but you only get to use half before needing a fill-up. :001_unsur

... but if the other cars have 6 gallon gas tanks ... :001_rolle

Really, a good ED pen can get pretty low before significant burping problems come about ... and some pen/ink combos write all the way dry without anything significant.

Changed out the ink (all I had in there was a sample from Goulet), filled it up to the brim with Noodlers Nikita...so far, problem appears to be solved...

Top Bottom