What's new

Platinum 3776

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
After much himming and hawing between the Platinum Century 3776 and the Pilot Custom 74, I went ahead got the Platinum (first, anyway :wink2:). I prefer the size and look of the 3776, although the Custom 74's soft medium nib sounded my interesting to me. Price put the Platinum over the top. And besides, everyone seems to love Platinum nibs, so I figured it'd be fine.
It arrived yesterday, and I am not disappointed. It's the black and gold pen (school colors :clap:- college and high school, no less) with the broad nib. The Platinum broad writes just about the same as a Jowo medium, which is exactly what I wanted. Of course, there's not much line variation; maybe I'll go to the DC Pen Show this summer and get it ground into something fun like an italic cursive. But it writes nicely nonetheless, with a hint of that feedback that everyone loves. Interestingly, my Jowo nib is probably smoother, so maybe that blows up any gold nib vs steel nib preconceptions that I might have had. I'll have to do a more detailed comparison at some point. And frankly, all of this is my just first impression after playing with the pen for a few hours. So, I'm going to put the 3776 through its paces this week and check back with some more in depth analysis and maybe some pics (although my black 3776 looks exactly like everyone else's black 3776).

Saved round: I do appreciate that I bought my first Platinum in Platinum's centennial year. Even though its not one of the special edition "100th Year Anniversary" pens (which are prohibitively expensive for me), it's meaningful to me. Plus, it is called the "Century" afterall. If Platinum releases a 100th year anniversary ink, maybe I'll pick that up.

tankerjohn

Hi Platinum fans! As promised, my one week follow up. I hesitate to call this a review or claim any kind of expertise. It’s just one guys impressions after using this pen for a little while.

D1E97952-F10A-457B-911B-0C720CA3DFAC.jpeg

What can I say? Wow, it’s a great! I want to write with this pen all the time and never put it down. I’m not even a huge fan of the stock black ink (though it does really well on the cheap paper at work) and I’m looking forward to loading up a more interesting ink.

I think I could call this the “Goldilocks” pen; everything about it is just right. Size-perfect. Not too big, not too small. Great presence without being ostentatious. The black helps with that too. I want a “big black pen” for my collection. Mission accomplished. Nib-perfect. Not too wet, not too dry. Super smooth with a hint of feedback to give it some character. It has just enough bounce to ride over the paper like a taut sportscar suspension. I know many fp enthusiasts rave about Platinum’s super narrow EF and UEF nibs, but I think the broad is great too.

Here’s a few more pics, though my black 3776 looks like every other black 3776 you’ve ever seen on blogs and YouTube. To quote the Marines on rifles - there are many like it, but this one is mine!

F7C1750C-7732-4526-972F-D46AE78038A2.jpeg

The 3776 is about a mm longer than the Conklin Duragraph and a little thicker, though they are about the same in the grip section.

1AF56482-98FF-4C9F-AFAD-066DE69BCA7C.jpeg

Uncapped, the Duragraph takes the cake. The 3776 is kind of a shorty. The 3776 nib is slightly smaller then the Duragraph’s Jowo #6, but still good sized. You can also see that the 3776 broad writes a line roughly the same as the Jowo medium.

30495F10-ABFC-4621-8440-5275E1EFA106.jpeg

Unposted, the 3776 is teetering on the edge of being too short.

2FED2A05-6BE6-4491-8EFA-4D7B3744DC7D.jpeg

But it’s perfect posted. Nicely balanced, too.

89784AB5-0708-41E6-B699-3BFA46E7E286.jpeg

Here’s a closeup if that nib. I’m usually a sucker for fancy scrollwork on nibs, but I rather enjoy the simplicity of Platinum’s nib. The stylized outline of Mt Fugi is perfect. I think it captures the feeling that the 3776 is proudly Japanese and not trying too hard to copy European nib designs.

B5AD06D1-B3B5-419F-8A0B-21E22FF733B8.jpeg

Not a huge glob of tipping there, but enough to get the job done.

So there you have it, one week with the Century 3776. I have a few other thoughts about the pen’s perceived value, how it compares to other pens, etc. But I’ll save those for later. In the meantime, I intend to be writing with this pen a lot. I may never really need the “slip and seal” cap; at least I hope not.

A1DC5D55-A9B2-47E3-9B89-D31F74A97E8D.jpeg

tankerjohn

...so if you’ll permit me to make a confession, a little voice in the back of my head accused me of buying this pen because it’s a poor man’s Montblanc. I can’t afford a real MB, so this is the next best thing. Oh no, quite a charge! Am I really chasing a status symbol I can’t have? I don’t know, maybe a little. I said I wanted a “big black pen” and Montblanc is the quintessential “big black pen”. It’s true, I can’t afford a Montblanc (well I could, but I’d have a LOT of explaining to do). I do appreciate the classic cigar shape and the black and gold aesthetic. Fountain pens connote a certain sophistication, like a well-tailored suit. And like the suit, the pen should impart a confidence befitting a man of taste. If a suit is a man’s armor, the pen is his sword. So yeah, gimme some of that. Is it so bad? So materialistic? Why shouldn’t I want to impress people with my Montblanc-ish fountain pen?

It then occurs to me that, in truth, when I use this pen in public, it impresses exactly no one. People who are casually impressed by Montblancs are only impressed by the one thing the 3776 doesn’t have - the snowflake! It doesn’t matter how else the pens might resemble each other. (I read a story on FPN from a guy that used to sell MBs who said he actually sold replacement caps to businessmen who couldn't afford the whole pen, but wanted the snowflake sticking out of their pocket. So at least I'm not as bad as those guys, right?) It certainly won’t impress anyone who considers Montblancs, or any fountain pens, the height of snobbery. How gauche to take notes with a gold-trimmed fountain pen when everyone else has a Bic or a G-2? Nor will this pen impress fellow fountain pen enthusiasts, perhaps especially Platinum fans. It’s not a special edition or covered in urushi or maki-e. It doesn’t even have a music nib!

So I’m left with the one guy that this pen does impress - me! I'm impressed I can own such a nice looking and well performing fountain pen and have money left over to pay the mortgage and feed my kids. I'm impressed with Platinum's 100 year legacy and grateful to be a part of it. I'll gladly suffer the slings and arrows from the uninitiated for writing with my garish fountain pen. Nor do I care if the fountain pen cognoscenti consider black pens boring. I bought this is for me, only me. And I do enjoy it so. Maybe one day I will own a Montblanc, though I'd like to think I would appreciate it for more than the snowflake on top. Until then, I will proudly use my 3776 and cherish it no matter what other fountain pens may be in my future. And anyway besides, as we all know, Platinum didn't copy Montblanc; they copied the Shaeffer Balance, like Montblanc did and every other cigar-shaped pen.

Thank you for allowing me to indulge my internal monologue and maybe you found it mildly entertaining. Good night.

It then occurs to me that, in truth, when I use this pen in public, it impresses exactly no one.

I'm still coming to terms with this fact whenever I use any pen. Since the two most common comments are, "Oh, I didn't realize you did calligraphy" and, "Dude...You vape?", I have accepted my place as the eccentric weirdo. I really like my M 3776 but my SM Pilot 74 is pretty awesome too.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Excellent report, John. It's one of a few I'm considering; that and an Aurora 88 black.

Tanker John,

If I had 30 billion dollars I would still choose the Platinum over the Mont Blanc. It is a better pen in my estimation.
Same here. I've heard lots of reports of MB's leaking and being very hard to actually USE as a pen (purportedly the thing it is designed to be.)

@tankerjohn I know exactly how you feel but I use my pens for me, most people don't notice what I write with and hardly comment ever but I was using my 3776 today and I got a compliment on what a nice pen it is. I think that if you use fountain pens for attention you are using them for the wrong reasons.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So I’m left with the one guy that this pen does impress - me!

IMHO trying to impress anyone else is not a good use of your time and effort.

I've got the Sailor 1911 in black ... much more of a Montblanc homage. :001_unsur

I'm a big Sailor Pen fan and have more than I care to admit to SWMBO. But this is for the intrinsic quality (to me) of the Sailor pens ... and in particular the specialty nibs. I have absolutely zero interest in Montblanc pens and no interest in owning a "MB homage pen" ... but boy do I like my Sailor 1911s.

... and I don't think I've ever seen a Montblanc that comes with a Naginata Togi nib, let alone a Nagahara Cross-music nib!!

tankerjohn

IMHO trying to impress anyone else is not a good use of your time and effort.

I'm a big Sailor Pen fan and have more than I care to admit to SWMBO. But this is for the intrinsic quality (to me) of the Sailor pens ... and in particular the specialty nibs. I have absolutely zero interest in Montblanc pens and no interest in owning a "MB homage pen" ... but boy do I like my Sailor 1911s.

... and I don't think I've ever seen a Montblanc that comes with a Naginata Togi nib, let alone a Nagahara Cross-music nib!!
touche!

I have a Platinum Composer #3776 Black w/twin tine “Music” 14kt nib purchased in 1998 that has been bulletproof. :)

Fahrney's describes it as a "three-tined nib" so I stand corrected. Thanks! :)

proxy.php

Last edited:

tankerjohn

I like that my 3776 Platinum broad nib is on the dry side as it doesn't drip ink into the cap and all over everything, like other pens I have. I've run a bunch of different ink samples through it and find its really picky. Monteverde Sapphire and Pilot Iroshizuku Asa Gao flowed fine. Diamine Oxford and J. Herbin Bleu Nuit were okay, but definitely dry. Visconti Blue and Parker Quink Blue-Black did not flow well at all. I guess I need to stick to wetter inks. Anyone else notice this or is it just mine?

Top Bottom