What's new

Platinum 3776

For those who may own one did you have any issues right out of the box? Saw a YouTube Review on the pen and reviewer stated some issues though correctable.

Dave

I bought one from one of those Amazon 3rd part sellers that sell the genuine article for about half what you'd pay from a US seller (you can check eBay for Japanese sellers, too). The fine nib was indeed a little scratchy out of the box, and I needed to align the tines on the nib slightly. A touch up with some micromesh, and it's now beautifully smooth with good flow.

If the actual seller of a pen doesn't tweak the nib before sending it out, then there is some chance of problems. I don't know that this is restricted to Platinum. On the whole, this has happened to me very seldom with new pens (vintage is another matter). If you want to be sure, then you may want to pay the extra money and go with a seller who does adjust nibs. I've never bought from John Mottishaw at nibs.com, for example, but he has a good reputation.

I believe that other U.S. sellers, like Goulet's will check the nib out for you on request before sending it, but won't do actual adjustments themselves. You should verify that, with them, however, if you were interested.

The chances that you won't have any problems are fairly high, I'd say, but it helps either to pick your vendor carefully, or be prepared to do some minor work yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your replies... When its time to order I will order it from Japan with a medium nib and will be dedicated for Journal use. I have heard on the YouTube Reviews that the mediun nib is a fine medium if that makes sense? Thanks .

Dave

Eastern nib widths versus Western nib widths. To have Eastern nibs run a size narrower is quite common.

A very good pen no issues at all right out of the box, as pointed out earlier the medium nib is comparable with a western fine.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Question for you 3776 owners out there: how stiff or springy is the nib? I know it’s not “flex” or whatever. But is there any line variation? Can you “feel the money” writing with it or is it more of a golden nail?

My soft fine is springy, but I wouldn't call it flexible or even semi flexible. Whether or not Rod Tidwell gets his money from it, I don't know.
vlcsnap-2014-08-27-14h49m20s108.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

My soft fine is springy, but I wouldn't call it flexible or even semi flexible. Whether or not Rod Tidwell gets his money from it, I don't know.View attachment 949978

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LOL! "Show me the MONEY!" Thanks for the feedback. The Platinum fine sounds like its probably too fine for me. Too bad they don't sell the 3776 with a soft medium or soft broad.

Cool, that's good to hear. What do you like about it? Does the nib feel like a true step up from a quality steel nib?

The 3776 gold nib (mine is medium) is not soft by any means, but it definitely writes smoother than any of my steel nibs. It works perfectly with the feed and produces a true medium line with just the right amount of ink.

By comparison, my Lamy 2000 medium nib (which is also gold) writes like butter, but it just about gushes ink, and thus produces a broader line. The down side, to me, is that there are times the nib seems too soft (feels numb). The 3776 nib feels nimble like a small sports car, while the 2000 feels soft and luxurious like a Cadillac from the 80's.

These are my two top pens, and I love each of them for different reasons. The Lamy 2000 is probably the more durable of the two. The 2000 is simple and understated, and the 3776 (mine is Chartres Blue) looks more elegant. The seal-in-cap design on the 3776 is better than Lamy's. The 2000 has a built-in converter, while the 3776 has the typical Platinum converter. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite between the two.

Hope that helps...

tankerjohn

The 3776 gold nib (mine is medium) is not soft by any means, but it definitely writes smoother than any of my steel nibs. It works perfectly with the feed and produces a true medium line with just the right amount of ink.

By comparison, my Lamy 2000 medium nib (which is also gold) writes like butter, but it just about gushes ink, and thus produces a broader line. The down side, to me, is that there are times the nib seems too soft (feels numb). The 3776 nib feels nimble like a small sports car, while the 2000 feels soft and luxurious like a Cadillac from the 80's.

These are my two top pens, and I love each of them for different reasons. The Lamy 2000 is probably the more durable of the two. The 2000 is simple and understated, and the 3776 (mine is Chartres Blue) looks more elegant. The seal-in-cap design on the 3776 is better than Lamy's. The 2000 has a built-in converter, while the 3776 has the typical Platinum converter. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite between the two.

Hope that helps...
Thanks. I really appreciate you writing that up. It sounds like the 3776 is a great pen, but probably not what I’m after for a gold nib. I guess I’d have to try one to really know.

I got one from a Japanese seller on eBay in EF. The nib needed some flossing to write properly but now it is great.

I just wish they had more body options.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

They have a reputation for having very tight tines out of the factory. I get my more expensive pens from a John Mottishaw, who checks and adjusts all pens free of charge before sending them out.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I got a 3776 with a music nib and am happy with it.

That said, the biggest complaint I would have is that there is more rattle between converter and pen body when the pen is tapped from the side, especially compared to a Sailor 1911.

(IMHO, the Sailor 1911 "feels" much nicer in hand ... a touch more heft, but more than that, it just feels more "substantial" and "quality" compared to the 3667. I only ever bought one 3667 ... because of the highly regarded Platinum music nib ... but have bought many, many Sailor 1911s. Draw from that what you will.)

Top Bottom