What's new

Plastic Gillette DE Razor

I started shaving a little more than 23 years ago. This platic Gillette DE razor was what I used for more than 15 years. Every shave was bad. Yes it got the job done. But there was never a comfortable shave. Always had razor burns and nicks no matter what I did or what blade I used. Hated my daily shave. Pretty aggressive razor. This was before I learned about good safety razors etc and before I converted wet shaving into a hobby. Long before YouTube videos came into the picture. I still carry it around with me and use it when I am traveling though. Anyone ever used this? Or still is using this razor? I'll never throw it away since it was my first DE razor and my introduction to wet shaving.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have never used one but I have about 8 of them as I bought them in a job lot off eBay a while ago. Will get around to trying one in the future. The problem with me is I have great difficulty opening packages and using new stuff. If it comes without a box that is fine but if it comes NIB then I have an issue. Maybe a little OCD?

I have never used one but I have about 8 of them as I bought them in a job lot off eBay a while ago. Will get around to trying one in the future. The problem with me is I have great difficulty opening packages and using new stuff. If it comes without a box that is fine but if it comes NIB then I have an issue. Maybe a little OCD?
Haha. I have that same problem. OCD for sure mate. Let me know how it went after trying it out. Have a good day.

I have one which is identical except that is has 5 oriental characters in the top, rather then "Gilette." It is loud, as the hollow handle acts as a sort of microphone, and very aggressive, yes. The weight of it is so light that there is a tendency to push in with it rather than let it simply glide on it's own.

I have one which is identical except that is has 5 oriental characters in the top, rather then "Gilette." It is loud, as the hollow handle acts as a sort of microphone, and very aggressive, yes. The weight of it is so light that there is a tendency to push in with it rather than let it simply glide on it's own.
Yeah it is loud and aggressive and very light.

Congratulations on keeping your first DE!!

I learned to shave with a hand-me-down Slim in the 1960s. Wish I kept that one!! :a29:

I started shaving a little more than 23 years ago. This platic Gillette DE razor was what I used for more than 15 years. Every shave was bad. Yes it got the job done. But there was never a comfortable shave. Always had razor burns and nicks no matter what I did or what blade I used. Hated my daily shave. Pretty aggressive razor. This was before I learned about good safety razors etc and before I converted wet shaving into a hobby. Long before YouTube videos came into the picture. I still carry it around with me and use it when I am traveling though. Anyone ever used this? Or still is using this razor? I'll never throw it away since it was my first DE razor and my introduction to wet shaving.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Yes I have one similar to yours..:)
Plan to shave with it this weekend.
Wish me luck...

IMG-0871.jpg

I picked one up at my local Indian market because it was $2.95 and came with a free tuck of Gillette 7 O'clock Platinum blades. Looking at it, I wouldn't think the plastic hinge would last 15 shaves much less 15 years. Good on you.

I picked one up at my local Indian market because it was $2.95 and came with a free tuck of Gillette 7 O'clock Platinum blades. Looking at it, I wouldn't think the plastic hinge would last 15 shaves much less 15 years. Good on you.
Yeah mate. I too didn't think it would last this long. But it's still going strong. I use it when I'm traveling. Gets the job done.

Looks like the Dorco 602 only the Dorco is a good and gentle razor. Cost about 6 or 7 dollars. Get IT for a new travel razor.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I had a little $1 plastic razor years ago I'd bought from a long-gone Turkish shaving supplier I liked back then ... it was a 'Slik Bay' or something like that. Wasn't bad but I didn't use it much. About a year ago I grabbed it to give it a test run and it basically fell to pieces in my hands. Something about the way I had it stored seemed to disagree with it's molecular adhesion LOL.

I've got one, used it a couple times, more for the novelty than anything else. In fact I may have a couple, one black and one either green or orange. Surprisingly good shave for me!

I have this one and a few of the Indian 7 o'clock that are the same except they are green or red and have the 7 o'clock logo on the cap instead of "Gillette". I have been using these razors for at least 8 years and they give me nice shaves. Nothing wrong with the razor. It shaves quite like a Tech.

I have one green Indian 7 o'clock [my oldest of this model] that I had probably more than 250 shaves with and the hinge still holds strong. I too thought it would snap too quick but obviously was wrong. And I use very hot water to rince the razor. I only open it when I change the blade and I use a blade for 3-4 shaves.

I bought mine in Thailand 'cause I needed a blade for my travel-razor.
Were on a short holiday and only had carryon luggage.
Didn't want to throw the razor away, so tossed it in the bag when I went home.
I even bought one extra to have as backup, paid less than $1 each.

IMG-0870.JPG

Top Bottom