What's new

Plastic bottle is what ruins Lilac Vegetal

Well I just recieved a vintage glass bottle that used to contain Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. I gotta clean out some organic debris stuck to the glass inside. It appears to be moss.

It would be easy but for the pin hole of the glass bottle top. I could fill it with water, but I dont know how to get salt in there for cleaning. For that matter, how do I fill the bottle with aftershave? 🤔

Attachments

• 20200124_193949.jpg
    20200124_193949.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200124_194006.jpg
    20200124_194006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200124_194014.jpg
    20200124_194014.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
I am among the chosen by skin, but not by nose. I had some lilac vegetal years ago and had several people sniff test it on me. All had very complimentary things to say with the scent description ranging from light floral to light powder. SWMBO really liked it. To me, however, it smelled like straight up cat ****. It was so bad, I had to go take a shower. Never again will I apply that stuff...

How would decanting cure this? If it is outgasses chemicals into the alcohol solution, it's going to be there semi-permanently.

Vegetal has a sharp green note, it's just part of the formula. It fades fairly quickly, though. Many fragrances of a certain age have this sort of characteristic. It's suppossed to be "fresh" or bracing.

Companies like P&G went to great trouble to make sure that their plastic containers don't outgas. If Pinaud doesn't use any special containers, my guess is they have decided the pricepoint of the product simply doesn't warrant it. They are cheap colognes that have been designed to be purchased at drugstores and used in a few months, nothing more.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Most aftershave won’t be the same in a glass bottle. I didn’t get one that didn’t improve yet or didn’t change from going plastic to glass.

i keep the small 57ml Tabasco bottles. They are small and if I drop it, it’s one a small amount. Well cleaned they are perfect for me.

Ah, finally a veg thread! This is why I joined this little group of happy wanderers.
Iv’e said this in another thread, but I just don’t get it.I have been using the veg
for over 20 yrs. When I apply the veg,(or any a/s for that matter) I double dip.
About an hour later, all you can smell is a faint talc scent. So this concept that
it smells like cat pee, or a urinal puck is f***in’ ridiculous. How many of you
have even actually used it. It sounds like some trendy b.s. someone got from
another person and just repeated because they thought it was cute.
Now, if you’ve tried it and still think it smells bad, maybe it’s you.
Maybe you stink.

Well I just recieved a vintage glass bottle that used to contain Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. I gotta clean out some organic debris stuck to the glass inside. It appears to be moss.

It would be easy but for the pin hole of the glass bottle top. I could fill it with water, but I dont know how to get salt in there for cleaning. For that matter, how do I fill the bottle with aftershave? 🤔
It's cleanable, if one is persistent. Fill it with hot water and a little washing-up liquid, and let it set over-night. Shake the bottle vigorously whilst allowing the water to eject. Repeat process until clean. If some marks are stubborn, introduce some sand and shake until it's completely clean of marks. Rinse thoroughly
DSC01510.JPG
DSC01511.JPG
and allow to dry completely. Use a tiny silver perfume funnel sized to fit the hole and slowly add Lilac Vegetal from another bottle. You may need a glass eye-dropper to transfer with as the funnel doesn't hold very much. It can be done. I've done it. It might be more trouble than it's worth, but as a connoisseur of the Veg I prefer to have it in a vintage glass bottle. This one is from the early American-made era with white cap and all details on reverse.

salt solution with a hypodermic needle or simply dunk it in the solution.
Ultrasonic bath also possible

I do not understand why Pinaud does not see the potential sales they are missing out.
Offer a special edition of their line in glass, it is that simple.
Maybe we should start a petition.

Top Bottom