What's new

Planning a Rockwell 6c and Razorock Gamechanger Shootout...

I'm somewhat new to the DE game (few months), but I'm not a person that wants a pile of razors sitting around, mixing and matching blades for different shaves. I want 2-3 solid razors that I'm happy with. My first DE, and one I still enjoy, is the Merkur 34c, is an easy going, mindless shave and a razor I'll keep. I will also keep a couple vintage Gillettes I got, if nothing else to say I have them, because obviously no one makes a 50 year old razor anymore.

Really I want a couple solid razors I use regularly. I get more enjoyment from the variety of shave soaps. I'm also not in a place where I'm ready to drop hundreds into razors. I know many of you will come on here and say "give it time, you'll want more" but I am admittedly a person who has bounced from hobby to hobby and I've grown exhausted with have tons of stuff. I want a couple good, trusted tools. And I don't think that's such a sin :)

So, to find these tools, in rapid succession, I have purchased a Razorock BBS, Razorock Gamechanger .68, Rockwell 6c, and Karve brass with A, B, and C plates. Of these 4, only two shall remain, the others will be sold. The BBS has already been sold, that was just not for me.

The Karve has stood out among the 4, a smooth, enjoyable, buttery shave, and a very "natural" razor for me as far as finding the angle. In fact, I may eventually get this in stainless instead....so the Karve has earned 1 of the available 2 "slots" in the arsenal.

This leaves the RR Gamechanger and the Rockwell 6c. Over the next month I plan to have a "shoot out" between the two to see which one remains. I have very sensitive skin and have struggled, all my shaving life, with irritation, razor burn, and nicks. So the primary criteria I have is comfort and irritation free shaving, even over closeness.

I shall keep you all updated on the outcome. If the 6c wins, I might get a 6s instead and sell the 6c so....there's a good chance someone here will be able to benefit from the sale of a gently used and popular razor - either the 6c or the GC.

To be continued....

I've never had a GameChanger, but my Karve and Rockwell are beloved. Rockwell 6s is my travel razor (perfect and durable), and Karve beat it for the home (I have a brass Karve, a stainless Karve [#20(!)], and a rhodium-plated Karve which is/was my go-to). But then the Wolfman entered the shaving thunderdome....

I like my 6c w/R6,(the only DE I own) I'm looking into a RR .84 or a Karve, or a Timeless .95 until my Wolfman W2 1.15 is ready in a year.

Looking forward to hearing what you settle on and why!

I'd be interested to hear a bit more about why you disliked the RR BBS - I've never tried one myself but I am intrigued by the design and the claims made for them.

Looking forward to hearing what you settle on and why!

I'd be interested to hear a bit more about why you disliked the RR BBS - I've never tried one myself but I am intrigued by the design and the claims made for them.
For me, I could never find a natural angle. I know they are supposed to feel more natural but I had the opposite experience. I was getting a lot of irritation And nicks.

Although I have been DE shaving for quite a long time, like you I don't want to have too many razors lying around. I have owned and sold both the Rockwell 6C and virtually all of the different Game Changer versions. Don't get me wrong, both the 6C and Game Changer are excellent razors; I just prefer more aggressive razors. I don't have much of a problem with nicks or irritation, so for me closeness is probably more important than it is for you. (In my experience, if you are trying for a very close shave, using a mild razor is counterproductive. You will wind up going over the same area more times and are more likely to suffer razor burn.) Of the two razors you are considering, I found the 6C to be more versatile, given 6 different baseplate choices, but the GC is more agile - which may help you avoid irritation and nicks. On the other hand, as a relatively new DE shaver, you may find that as your technique improves you prefer a more aggressive razor and a closer shave. The 6C will accommodate that by letting you move up to a higher numbered base plate.

You really can't go wrong on this one. Good luck!

Top Bottom