What's new

PLANET KIND by Gillette

I agree.

It's just that posting about how you're not going to buy something because you don't like the company's virtue signals is also a virtue signal. Why announce it except to let others know you have an official position on the matter? Not buying accomplishes the same thing without a public performance.

I'm still waiting to hear how other companies's lathers are bad for the planet.

Gillette isn’t ready to reclaim the DE market, just cash in on the fringes of a trend that is cutting into cart sales.

My swearing off of all new things Gillette has been an eye opener for me relative to DE blades. I started trying other brands of DE blades and found that Gillette's blades are middle of the road at best. There are many brands that make a superior product.

I do love my 1957 Red Tip and 1959 Fat Boy however, so I'll keep using those. Made back when a company just wanted to create the best product on the market, not tell their customers how to live.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When they say it is infinitely recyclable are they saying that it is a once in a lifetime purchase- that once you own it you can keep using the same lather over and over indefinitely? How do you strain all of the old whiskers out? Sounds kinda nasty.

I'm still waiting to hear how other companies's lathers are bad for the planet.
Okay. That's irrelevant to anything I've written, but okay.

Again, there are many companies I don't buy from because I don't like how they do things. Broadcasting it on the internet is virtue signaling.

I believe it is called "stating an opinion".

Is there a problem?
I don't have a problem with him stating an opinion. I am also stating one. I even agreed with his initial comment. Twice. I'm just pointing out some irony. No need to get agitated.

Last edited:
Are Target and the Gillette site the only places selling these products? I don't see them in drug or grocery stores.

Are Target and the Gillette site the only places selling these products? I don't see them in drug or grocery stores.
I've only seem them at Target. Walgreens and Wal-Mart don't have them, at least not the ones I've visited. None at Kroger either.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When they say it is infinitely recyclable are they saying that it is a once in a lifetime purchase- that once you own it you can keep using the same lather over and over indefinitely? How do you strain all of the old whiskers out? Sounds kinda nasty.
It can be done! You've seen my thread "Just like Grampa used to Shave" I must assume?

It is quite possibly the greatest thread on here. POSSIBLY.

FarmerTan

@TBoner is either a fan, or has used my thread like I do: as a sleep aid! My doc uses it instead of Benedryl for his own insomnia issues! True story doggone!

I have greatly enjoyed that thread @FarmerTan. I've tried to talk myself into having the guts to take my Omega 10066 and a couple of grated sticks of Palmolive through a similar treatment.

FarmerTan

I have greatly enjoyed that thread @FarmerTan. I've tried to talk myself into having the guts to take my Omega 10066 and a couple of grated sticks of Palmolive through a similar treatment.
Remember this SAGE advice my friend: if @KeenDogg is too smart to do it, it SHORE ain't for the faint of heart!

I have been AMAZED tho by the random combinations of soap and creams and tubes being greater than the singular soaps, creams, and tubes! If it weren't for that absolutely lousy brush shedding like a Christmas tree left in the corner until March (yeah, I was single once. Then my wife fell for my charms, bank account, and my incredibly handsome face, not to mention my humility) that set up has given me my smoothest shaves.

A long time ago, a true gentleman on here (not like KeenDogg) sent me a brush that I experimented with for a while to try to kill. It's a really high class brush, an Edwin Jagger, wooden handle, boar bristles. It was given to me by a guy who wishes to remain anonymous (@shavefan ) because he's so humble, like me, and he even gave me permission to try to see how long it will last without rinsing. So I think when I get home I'll PIF the original brush, a "Marvy" plastic thing that I am pretty sure the bristles came from a Dingo, so that someone else can try it. The question is, should I rinse it first or leave it in it's beautiful, permanently bent state?

Have youse guys ever met ANYONE (besides a politician) that can talk about absolutely NOTHING of consequence for as long as I can that don't have a law degree? Me neither! Maybe that's why my wife likes me bein' on here so much...

A lot of people seem to be disliking the product just because its manufactured by Gilette. Initial impressions for most are that it is a freshly scented, shave cream that comes in a large tin at a low cost. If you don't like fresh cucumber scents, it won't be for you. It is an ok shave cream and apparently better than the Gilette Pure cream. It comes in an aluminum tin. This is the easiest and most cost effective material to recycle. Most plastic isn't recycled anymore because many 3rd world countries stopped buying them. Throwing something into a recycling bin still means it ends up in landfill. Aluminum doesn't create micro-plastics either and won't survive for hundreds of years without degrading unlike plastic. Plastic recycling is also a more tedious and expensive process that is not as effective. Considering they dominate the market in mens shaving, this is a step in the right direction in making an ecologically sustainable product line with appeal to most people that isn't reliant on propellant cans which also irritate skin, reduce product ratio and further damage the environment. The majority of people who buy this don't care about artisan wetshaving products at all. They aren't stealing the market. The only people who use artisan products are wetshavers. As long as all of you keep buying what you like, they'll be fine.

I bought the razor and the cream at target. I occasionally use a cartridge when I travel and I would rather use something recycled (recyclable) as well. I will give the cream a shot with the de. Smells citrus-y and looks slick enough.

Lets be honest, the fact that Gillette got back into the DE game even in a limited way is respectable. Offering better quality in their razors is also a good step. They are never going to abandon cartridge razors and Gillette has been looking for the cheaper faster alternative for at least 70 years. They are not going to stop now.

Yeah, they went all over the "toxic masculinity" band wagon which I did not appreciate. That said, I am okay letting them out of the dog house. Given all the truly stupid stuff I have seen over the last couple of years I can let one misplaced ad campaign slide.

There is no reason to believe the aluminum container Gillette uses pollutes less than a plastic alternative. calculating the carbon cost of aluminum vs plastic is terribly complex and the only info we have to go by is what Gillette’s marketing department decided to put on the packaging. I think most will agree Gillette’s marketing departments primary mission is to part consumers from their money.

I don’t trust any company that is claiming to do something for altruistic reasons. It’s always 100% about profit.

Watching TV and they posted this add. Maybe they should sell the New Green Deal Kit: Kind cream and this razor...for all gender all uses.
Current price for this kit $45 (steal).
PXL_20210308_021659919.jpg

There is no reason to believe the aluminum container Gillette uses pollutes less than a plastic alternative. calculating the carbon cost of aluminum vs plastic is terribly complex and the only info we have to go by is what Gillette’s marketing department decided to put on the packaging. I think most will agree Gillette’s marketing departments primary mission is to part consumers from their money.

I don’t trust any company that is claiming to do something for altruistic reasons. It’s always 100% about profit.
Plastic is a worse pollutant than aluminum. This is a fact. Gilette's marketing department doesn't need to tell you this, almost every scientific study ever will show this. Plastic does not degrade at all for many years. When it does it creates plastic particles so small that they cannot be filtered out by our bodies or the ecosystem. Obviously, there is a profitable angle here. People want a more ecologically sustainable product, that is why marketing told product development to make a more ecologically sustainable product. This is what people want.

.... People want a more ecologically sustainable product...
...This is what people want.

It is good to know that you are such an expert on what "people" want.
Whether people want this product or not remains to be seen.
But, I don't recall an overwhelming demand for a cucumber-scented shave cream in a tin can before this product was released.

Top Bottom