What's new

PLANET KIND by Gillette

Admittedly I'm becoming an old curmudgeon. With that it mind I have my doubts about this product. It could end up being a spectacular performer, but, its been my experience that any product pushing the 'good for the environment' angle is generally lacking in other areas. I also find it quite hypocritical of Gillette, yet not surprising, that they push the environmental angle. Hey kids, come buy our environmentally friendly cream in a stamped metal container....and while you're here pick up another 20 pack of plastic carts that will only last a handful of shaves before ending up in the landfill.

If they want to impress me they will recycle those shaving cream cans and use them to make all metal DE razors that can also be recycled...after a few lifetimes of use.

Old man rant over.

On the bright side the 4 cartridge refill is priced at $10 at target ... clearly going after DSC and harrys more than anything else as they priced themselves at their level.

Aqua, Palmitic acid, Stearic acid, Coconut acid, Potassium hydroxide, Sodium hydroxide, Triethanolamine, Hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, Glycerin, Mentha piperita oil, Mentha arvensis leaf oil, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopheryl acetate, Aloe Barbadensis leaf juice powder, Cucumis sativus fruit water

I like the ingredient list. Peppermint and wild mint EOs should be lightly cooling. For $8, I'll try it.

Cool angle and I have been looking for a cream that doesn’t come in some kind of plastic. I will give it a try just for the packaging.

Reality check: while we may try to recycle the truth is that less then 10% is actually recycled. Our tube or plastic tub of shave cream/soap lives on almost forever.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I need to start writing down some of nuggets of wisdom. I envision a coffee table book filled with good, practical advice, or an illustrated edition for kids to have read to them at bedtime so they have a good shot at turning into model citizens.
Anybody know any literary agents?
Don't worry, the moderators have everything documented......😋

Why not use the old formula ??..it was great !!
gill.jpg

I test lathered it with about and almond sized dollop, which as it turns out was a little bit too much. The lather was slick and voluminous. I was surprised, I was completely expecting something like Cremo, not something you can actually lather with a brush. I face lathered it and did enjoy the scent, it was mostly a light sweet(powdery) take on a cucumber scent with a minor mint/menthol finish. I’m thinking the stuff could be alright, I’ll give it a shave tomorrow.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I test lathered it with about and almond sized dollop, which as it turns out was a little bit too much. The lather was slick and voluminous. I was surprised, I was completely expecting something like Cremo, not something you can actually lather with a brush. I face lathered it and did enjoy the scent, it was mostly a light sweet(powdery) take on a cucumber scent with a minor mint/menthol finish. I’m thinking the stuff could be alright, I’ll give it a shave tomorrow.
Ya got me sold. Very interesting. Of course, if it starts a trend all the artisans will be out of business in five years because Gillette will lose money on purpose if they have to, just to crush them like a bug!

I bought some today. Target. 8 bucks. I'll give it a lather and shave with it in the morning. The scent is mellow, a bit of ozone and cucumber and mint.

I was surprised, I was completely expecting something like Cremo, not something you can actually lather with a brush.

This does surprise me. When I see “use with or without brush” I have learned to expect something I don’t want. They never seem to actually be latherable.

It is latherable. It is slick. That said, this stuff actually disappointed me. I wasn't expecting much, but I actually think it's not a great value at $8. Keeping inind that this was my first use, here are some thoughts:

- scent - very like a shower gel; it's a little too synthetic in its application of cucumber, ozone, and a touch of (I think) green apple...be not misled by the mention of mint oils in the ingredient list, as you won't really detect much of them

- slickness - the high point of this stuff; it is quite slick, which it would need to be if you were to use it with a draggy multi-blade cartridge like Gillette wants you to

- cushion - yeah, no; I can use a pretty thin lather, but even when this stuff looks thick and rich, it isn't really protective

- post-shave - I don't care about post-shave, but if you do, this won't wow you; minimal residual moisturizing effect

I don't mind giving it a second chance, but it won't be tomorrow. I can get green-tub Cella for a couple extra dollars, and it's more concentrated, smells much better, lathers much better, is vegan and organic, etc. Yes, it comes in a plastic tub, and I do think this stamped metal container is better. I guess I figure my minimal buying and using of plastic in other areas of life might make up for the occasional soap tub.

Remember not too long ago you guys were asking why gillete didn't bother getting back into the wet shaving market? Some of you were wishing for the good old days to return.

Well, they're back now.

If they do decide to stick around, they're going to come up with brilliant ways to force out competitors selling better products and dump their mediocre products everywhere.

If this cream here takes off, prepare to see more variants. And a price mark up. Just like their expensive and mediocre carts.

I'm not buying this if I see it here. After conversion, it isn't as cheap as the italian and indian creams here and I don't really believe this will be that good. Also, everything with the gillette label here is overpriced as hell except their russian and indian blades which are parallel imported from 3rd world countries.

I bought a tin on a whim when I visited my local Target on Saturday. The tin's graphics leave something to be desired, but I'm trying to avoid plastic whenever possible, so it's good to have a metal tin for a change. Otherwise, I can take or leave the whole "being kind to the planet" angle.

I've used it every day since Saturday, and really like it. The scent is pretty much just like the shave cream my barber gets out of one of those hot cream dispensers, so I like that. A little bit on a wet badger brush produces a large volume of creamy soap. Slickness is good, but not great, and the cushion is very good. Left my face feeling nice, as well. For $8.00, it's a bargain. I can see using it on a regular basis.

Three days in with it now and I give it a thumbs up. The scent is a little strong but not unpleasant, it smells to me like a Pina Colada with the aforementioned cucumber notes. Slickness is right up there, I got a close shave with a blade and this morning with a Phillips rotary shaver. The only thing about this that is truly "planet kind" as far as I can see is that it comes in a metal tin, rather like a round Altoids container which, I suppose, is recyclable. Let's see how long it hangs around for, as products like these come and go pretty quickly.

I still can't see this as a bargain. 5 oz. of Cella Green runs $11 and has less water content than this. It makes better lather, has a better scent, and won't be used as a wedge to put a dozen other companies out of business.

I would rate this lather as similar to the older formula of Proraso Green. The newer Proraso formulation is better, cheaper, and has a scent I prefer.

As always, YMMV, etc., but there's nothing in my den I'd prefer this to.

Top Bottom