What's new

"Plain" soap - no more SAD???

I'm considering not buying any more "smelly-good" soaps, once I've used up what I currently have. I still have maybe 10 different soaps, so this will still take me at least a year or two. I love the different aftershaves I have, but they pretty much match or cover up what little scent is left over from the soap, so I was thinking that I could probably save a lot of money and just use something like Williams Mug Soap.

Has anyone else on here done this? What soap did you end up going to? Can you tell a difference now, with whatever aftershaves you use?

Thanks!!

While I make a big part of my soap-buying decision based on the "smelly-good" part, don't forget that good soaps also do more for your skin than something like Williams.

While I make a big part of my soap-buying decision based on the "smelly-good" part, don't forget that good soaps also do more for your skin than something like Williams.
Good point! Maybe MWF? I know that's supposed to be good for the skin, and while it costs a bit more than Williams, it should last a lot longer, right?

I know Chiseled Face has a non-scented soap out now - "Natural". I currently use 3 of their soaps, and still have 3 or 4 more CFG samples.

What other good-for-the-skin/good-to-shave-with non-scented soap options are there?

I know Barrister & Mann had an unscented as did LA Shaving soap. I have Stone cottage soap works unscented and it works really nice

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

If you go to Maggards site and look at the soaps/creams, they've got an "Unscented" selection to give you some ideas.

Are you specifically looking to cut out scents entirely, or are you just looking for a no-frills, inexpensive, good soap that is not heavily scented?

If I were looking for an unscented soap for myself:
B&M has an unscented Latha soap. I like the Latha line, but a tub only goes for about 35-45 shaves, so cost-per-shave could be a bit higher than other choices.
WSP has an unscented soap in their Rustic line. I am super impressed with WSP soaps, and they seem to be fairly long-lasting for a decent (IMO) price. If I "had" to pick an everyday, unscented soap, this would be a major contender for me.
Haven't used Soap Commander, but they have a good reputation and they have an unscented selection, if I remember correctly.

If you are just looking to cut out "heavy" scents and looking for basic soaps, MWF and Tabac are the ones that come to my mind. MWF leaves my face feeling good from the lanolin (I don't like shaving with it, though). Tabac has the polarizing scent, but I find it's just a nice soap smell, and I could easily use it as my only soap.

Of course, if Williams works for you... what the heck. Go for that. I don't get along with it very well.

I've always considered the scent of the soap to be for my enjoyment while shaving, so I go for something I really like. I don't expect it to go beyond the a/s. Think a/s scent would be for not only my enjoyment, but others as well. So my personal advice...go with what u like for your own zen time (shaving time) :)

Mystic Waters has a stellar Sensitive / Unscented shave soap with sea buckthorn and aloe vera. Even the Van Der Hagen Unscented (the "Deluxe" line, I think..) works really well for me and has zero scent - usually locally available and dirt cheap on top of that.

If you go to Maggards site and look at the soaps/creams, they've got an "Unscented" selection to give you some ideas.

Are you specifically looking to cut out scents entirely, or are you just looking for a no-frills, inexpensive, good soap that is not heavily scented?

If I were looking for an unscented soap for myself:
B&M has an unscented Latha soap. I like the Latha line, but a tub only goes for about 35-45 shaves, so cost-per-shave could be a bit higher than other choices.
WSP has an unscented soap in their Rustic line. I am super impressed with WSP soaps, and they seem to be fairly long-lasting for a decent (IMO) price. If I "had" to pick an everyday, unscented soap, this would be a major contender for me.
Haven't used Soap Commander, but they have a good reputation and they have an unscented selection, if I remember correctly.

If you are just looking to cut out "heavy" scents and looking for basic soaps, MWF and Tabac are the ones that come to my mind. MWF leaves my face feeling good from the lanolin (I don't like shaving with it, though). Tabac has the polarizing scent, but I find it's just a nice soap smell, and I could easily use it as my only soap.

Of course, if Williams works for you... what the heck. Go for that. I don't get along with it very well.
I've got enough soap to last me another year or two, so right now, I'm just mulling it around, but I was thinking it would be simpler to use an unscented soap, and let the scent come from the aftershave. Also, I've been trying a few new-to-me aftershaves, that don't seem like they'd pair will with any of my scented soaps, so I find myself reaching for a neutral or light smelling soap, like Valobra, Cella, or Van der Hagen when I want to use one of those aftershaves.

I just went out and looked at Maggard's unscented options like you suggested - wow! Thanks for that!

I've always considered the scent of the soap to be for my enjoyment while shaving, so I go for something I really like. I don't expect it to go beyond the a/s. Think a/s scent would be for not only my enjoyment, but others as well. So my personal advice...go with what u like for your own zen time (shaving time) :)
I agree with what you're saying - I do enjoy the scented soaps while I'm shaving. I think I would also enjoy a nice clean or light smelling soap that would go with any aftershave. Kinda like how a good pair of Levis blue jeans goes with any shirt or footwear. Just looking to simplify things down the road, maybe.

Mystic Waters has a stellar Sensitive / Unscented shave soap with sea buckthorn and aloe vera. Even the Van Der Hagen Unscented (the "Deluxe" line, I think..) works really well for me and has zero scent - usually locally available and dirt cheap on top of that.
I do use the Van der Hagen Luxury soap occasionally. To me, it's kind of a light peppery scent, but it's really light and doesn't seem to clash with any aftershave. I'll check out the Mystic Waters. Thanks!

After further reflection, I think you're going about this all wrong. What you need isn't to cut back on the soaps, but rather, buy more aftershaves. That's how you solve your problem!:badger:

After further reflection, I think you're going about this all wrong. What you need isn't to cut back on the soaps, but rather, buy more aftershaves. That's how you solve your problem!:badger:
Ah, yes - the rise of the enablers!!

Well, I think that's where I was going with all this - I'd have more money to buy more kinds of aftershaves, along with the room to store them, if I cut back to one soap that goes with everything, correct?:thumbup:

Since like you said the scent of a soap is pretty much gone when it's rinsed off, why worry about which soap you're using and just pick the one you think performs the best regardless of scent. Then just throw on whatever AS you like.

I would go with any of the Valobra brand tallow based soap since their scents are really light, great performance and a puck last a long time. The WSP Rustic line is also a great value.
Which aftershaves are your favorite at the moment?

Since like you said the scent of a soap is pretty much gone when it's rinsed off, why worry about which soap you're using and just pick the one you think performs the best regardless of scent. Then just throw on whatever AS you like.
I'll give that a shot. I'll try and pick out what I think would most clash against each other and see how it turns out. Maybe Tradewinds soap with Clubman aftershave?? Night Music soap with Old Spice aftershave?

The performance aspect is important, like you said, and most of my soaps are Chiseled Face, so their Natural might be an option. The Soap Commander unscented looks good too, especially for getting 6 oz.

I would go with any of the Valobra brand tallow based soap since their scents are really light, great performance and a puck last a long time. The WSP Rustic line is also a great value.
Which aftershaves are your favorite at the moment?
Last year, I received a free package of Valobra menthol with an order from West Coast Shaving. There's little to no menthol in the soap - I think that's why they were giving it away. That's one of the ones I currently reach for when I want little to no scent from the soap.

My favorite aftershaves - CFG Orange Creamsicle, Clubman (Original, The Veg!, Special Reserve, Vanilla), Old Spice, Old Spice Swagger, Aqua Velva Musk, Sauvage (balm) and Nivea balm (YES! I love just about every aftershave I have). I'll usually reach for a light or no scent soap when I use The Veg!, Sauvage, Clubman Vanilla, OS Swagger, or my new OS Lagoon.

The good news is I still have at least a year to figure out if I even want to go this route. I could still benefit from something like Cella - it's light enough not to clash with an aftershave, but still has that pleasant marzipan aroma while shaving, and is a good performing soap.

OH, and Thanks! to everyone who has taken the time to reply back with suggestions and things to think about. I appreciate it!

I like how the soap smells when I am shaving (Dr harris soap is what I use) and it is the only soap I have (been wet shaving for 6 months or so since I started again). Just use what you have until it is gone and get whatever soap you like best on your face.

(Do have porasso green from when I first started and it is good but I don't care to much for smell. I just use it when I am in a rush since it lathers up really easily and quickly)

Top Bottom