What's new

Pj2 3 Alarm Emergency

Scotto said:
Here ya go:
IMG_2711_1_1.JPG

IMG_2713_2_1.JPG

This brush came to me from another member, but was originally from Lee. Lee has already offered to replace it. Many thanks to Lee.

Wow, wierd... that looks way too straight for a normal crack.

Simple fact.... cracks are MOST common in ONE brand of shaving brush... what brand? Simpson. Simpson packs the tightest knots, and as a result occasionally the handle lathed handles are not able to contain such a robust knot.... and wa-pow, crack city.

Before you run around freakin' out as if there is some epidemic... this is not "new" news and has been happening for decades. The GOOD news is - if they are gonna go kabloowey, it is ALWAYS going to happen initially - so it'll reach you cracked. This isn't much of a problem if you are buying from Lee - as I have experienced, and MANY others, Lee is VERY quick to solve the problem, and provides outstanding customer service.

If you want to get a simpsons brush... do it, and do it without fear. The probability you'll get a bad one is VERY, VERY low... members here have purchased HUNDREDS of Simpson shaving brushes, and you'll only find a few examples of "duds" if you will - and to date, I have never heard of a retailer NOT stand behind them.

If you want one.... get one, and do so with no fear. Honestly.... if you get a cracked one (which you have a 99% chance of NOT getting) - then Lee will send ya a new one, and take care of you... simple as that.

Stick around these forums.... you'll VERY quickly find EVERY single brand of shaving brush has duds and "horror" stories... the simple fact of the matter is - with simpson there is a lower probability, and if/when you get a dud - it is a dud up front (which is a GOOD thing, as then you don't have to try to battle with a retailer 1-2 years later when the brush shows signs of a defect) so IF this happens - when you get it replaced, you know you are getting a brush that will last a lifetime.

I do have to say... it is a little annoying and it would be kinda neat/nice if vendors could inspect them prior to shipment.... but hey.... if they deal with the problem, and they make it good... who cares?

I just wanted to report an update on the situation, especially in light of the current cracking problem with some of the Simpson's brushes (see Scotto's thread). I received an email from Robert apologizing for doubting the nature in which my brush cracked and he will be sending me a PJ2 when they receive more stock. He had not heard back from Simpson's either regarding my brush, so neither of us know when the next batch of PJ's will be ready. I have gained a lot of respect for Robert and can see why a lot of you hold him in high regards. Admitting your own errors is not often easy to do, and Robert proved that he is more than capable of it, and does everything in his power to correct them.

S

Sam

Slider: I am glad that this is being resolved. I know that I have made mistakes, and that other businesses that I have dealt with made mistakes, but at the end of the day, if they end up doing me right, I have MORE respect. Sometimes we think a business ought to take care of a problem with a product when in fact it is a manufacturing defect, which from another thread it appears that Simpsons may now be recognizing, and that a seller of such goods really does not have to help us with that. However, while I have not had any problems with products I have gotten, I have never really seen any problems come up with QED (other than Charles needs to update his website) or with Robert and the Gentlemens Shop. I am pleased to hear that other than the time, this is being resolved by SImpsons and also that you are giving the benefit of the doubt to Robert. Now perhaps Simpsons will consider a tube of Coates for you since you are out your brush for a bit.

Sam

Sam said:
Slider: I am glad that this is being resolved. I know that I have made mistakes, and that other businesses that I have dealt with made mistakes, but at the end of the day, if they end up doing me right, I have MORE respect. Sometimes we think a business ought to take care of a problem with a product when in fact it is a manufacturing defect, which from another thread it appears that Simpsons may now be recognizing, and that a seller of such goods really does not have to help us with that. However, while I have not had any problems with products I have gotten, I have never really seen any problems come up with QED (other than Charles needs to update his website) or with Robert and the Gentlemens Shop. I am pleased to hear that other than the time, this is being resolved by SImpsons and also that you are giving the benefit of the doubt to Robert. Now perhaps Simpsons will consider a tube of Coates for you since you are out your brush for a bit.

Sam

Well said Sam! Of course everyone has an idea about this sort of stuff and I too admit being a bit timid about the whole Simpson brush thing because of a number of reported discrepencies in quality control. Yet in the end, how in hades could they have ended up selling PREMIUM priced brushes for over 60 years by making junk regularly? It is not very likely. I am also MOST happy that the situation with Slider is being handled to his satisfaction. I have not purchased from TGS(yet)but I have corresponded with Robert a couple of times and he was straight up and very friendly. You know my fondness for QED so no need to elaborate. I have not purchased from Lee but WILL I assure you. These three businesses have been stalwarts for the online men's toiletry forum members and garner a lot of hard earned praise. It is my hope that this NEVER changes. I don't think it will and I mean that.

Joel, I think your points are well made and needed saying. I know it's a bit of a hassle but I think if I were selling Simpson's, I'd be checking the boxes! Unless they are sealed with plastic or a label, it couldn't hurt. I would fully understand a retailer being quite hesitant to open a premium type product and ruin a "factory fresh" appearance. I wouldn't have a problem with this as long as it was a vendor I trust or if they ask first. Trouble is, if they ask first, are they sending a message to newbs that they are buying a suspect product? Tough call for ANY vendor. Okay, enough from me. It seems this is taking a nice turn and I hope it stays that way.

Regards, Todd

S

Sam

Good post Todd and yeah, I see Joel's point in checking stuff, but hey, with Simpsons quality like you said, who would have thought there was a need to check each and every box. Now maybe, for the next few months, with PJ's, everyone might, but that might subside once a few runs turn out the normal quality brush

Top Bottom